Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 29th June 2004, 09:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

The XTR's time of "1:22.something" seemed unbeatable after giving the Pagani Zonda and the Murcielago a task they failed to complete.

The Gallardo would have beaten it if it were to be driven on a dry surface, but that's history now.

Off all the stripped down, big engined cars that fought for glory, all it took was a 5.5ltr, V8 engined car, to not just beat that record but, it also redifined the word "Handling", on a street legal car ofcourse.

The Mclaren Mercedes SL-"R" is the new performance king on the Top Gear list of cars. It lapped the track in an amazing 1min20.90secs.

Now i personally don't think even the Mclaren F1 can better that. It may be the quickest street car to date, but it's handling is nowhere close to what the SLR, Saleen S7 and the Enzo Ferrari can manage.

If there's one car that can beat that record........i'd put my money on the Enzo Ferrari, if that can't beat it, then nothing can.

Another factor that might have helped the SLR are it's out of the world braking ability, Jeremy does a small braking test in the video that will blow you away and don't miss the SL55 AMG vs the SLR "1/2 Mile Drag".

Here's the link of the site wher i got the video from : http://flixvault.net/

It's worth the download.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2004, 10:27   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yes Shantanu, but only for 24 hours.

The Porsche Carrera GT beat the SLR the very next day with a final time of 1:19:xx. I will have to look up the times, but am sure someone else will post it before I get home in the evening.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2004, 11:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Now when are they getting the Enzo, this is getting tight.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2004, 12:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I will have to look up the times, but am sure someone else will post it before I get home in the evening.
Carrera GT: 1:19:8
McLaren SLR 1:20:9

Also i attribute these times to different drivers. The older Stig, let alone the higher no. wet laps he did, is slower in comparison, IMO, to the newer Stig in the same car by atleast a second. So it all boils down to two factors, besides the car; climatic conditions and driver.

So maybe, just maybe, the XTR might be faster than the 1:22:6 set by the older Stig.

Revv

Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2004, 12:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey Shan2nu,

Maybe you missed this thread

lol..its our top gear laptime archive....thanks to PS for the initiative.
cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote