Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 20th November 2008, 18:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Car Scene from Hyundailand - South Korea

Hi,

Here are the few pictures from Hyundai Land - South Korea. Here we see too many models and all models are fast changing.

KIA Opirus - Luxury Sedan
Car Scene from Hyundailand - South Korea-img_0001.jpg

Kia Sportage SUV
Car Scene from Hyundailand - South Korea-img_0002.jpg

Erstwhile Hyundai Sonata
Car Scene from Hyundailand - South Korea-img_0003.jpg

KIA Carnival MUV - This is my guest house owner's car
Car Scene from Hyundailand - South Korea-img_0004.jpg

Some Hyundai Coupe (Do not know the name) Only Hyundai logo printed.
Car Scene from Hyundailand - South Korea-img_0005.jpg

I have few more pics but I am getting problem in uploading. I will upload/upgrade this thread on regular basis & post some detail also regarding car.

I have PIC for SsangYong Korando (Korea Can Do) SUV (The one which is my Avataar) but cannot upload now. The design of this SUV is very appealing to me. Unfortuntely, it's production now stopped and SsangYong motors introduced Actvon. Actvon is not at all good in looks compared to Korando.

Until then enjoy...

Last edited by anujmishra : 20th November 2008 at 18:40.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 18:59   #2
BHPian

Why are all of them so ugly? And look as if all the designs are coppies fo others.
1st pic looks like a copy of Merc E-Class, Sonata looks like it borrowed the tails lamps from the 1st gen Lancer in India, the MUV looks like a copied Innova and the last one looks like a wannabe 6th gen Celica. My God look at those tiny wheels!!!
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 19:24   #3
BHPian

The Opirus is Kia's equivalent of the Sonata. Kia being Hyundai's sister company has a car to match each of Hyundai's. The Sportage is the Kia's version of the Tuscon.

The car in the last picture is the Hyundai Coupe (that's what it is known as over here!!!) also known as the Hyundai Tiburon in the US and some other places where it is marketed. I remember Hyundai had brought the car to India when they first launched the brand in India. And the salesman said that the mileage was like 2 or 3 kmpl.

TeamBHP member General_neo has a more recent model of this car.

Last edited by wheeler : 20th November 2008 at 19:37.
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 19:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

There's a 2f2f scene out there too, try and catch up with them
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 20:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

anujmishra nice thread do keep us posted on more.Especially the S.Korean city traffic scene with pictures as my friend who had gone via Seoul to the US recently said that they don't have many hatches in use there and most cars are commonly sedans and SUV's like Accent/ Sonata / Tucson and so on.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 20:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
The Opirus is Kia's equivalent of the Sonata. Kia being Hyundai's sister company has a car to match each of Hyundai's. The Sportage is the Kia's version of the Tuscon.

The car in the last picture is the Hyundai Coupe (that's what it is known as over here!!!) also known as the Hyundai Tiburon in the US and some other places where it is marketed. I remember Hyundai had brought the car to India when they first launched the brand in India. And the salesman said that the mileage was like 2 or 3 kmpl.

TeamBHP member General_neo has a more recent model of this car.
Opirus is Kia's equivalent of the Sonata - Or is it the equivalent of Kia Amanti sold in North America?
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 21:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Or is it the equivalent of Kia Amanti sold in North America?
Amanti was based on the old Hyundai XG.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 21:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

The first KIA is a rip off from the Mercedes Benz E-Class.. what a shame!
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 05:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Why are all of them so ugly? And look as if all the designs are coppies fo others.
1st pic looks like a copy of Merc E-Class, Sonata looks like it borrowed the tails lamps from the 1st gen Lancer in India, the MUV looks like a copied Innova and the last one looks like a wannabe 6th gen Celica. My God look at those tiny wheels!!!
Then you did not see the "SsangYong Chairman" when you see from distance you will call it a Merc E class absolutely. I will post those pics very soon. These are the night pics so not much clear. Yes, Opirus is some copy of Merc E class. But in South Korean auto market there are many cross holdings in each other company. So they produce each other models with their name.

Sonata is one of the best selling models of car in all over the world after Toyota Corolla. In South Korea most of the taxis are Sonata.

Korando jeep was actually Mercedes jeep but it has been produced by Daewoo as well. SsangYong motors in subsidiary of Mercedes.

SsangYong Korando - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
anujmishra nice thread do keep us posted on more.Especially the S.Korean city traffic scene with pictures as my friend who had gone via Seoul to the US recently said that they don't have many hatches in use there and most cars are commonly sedans and SUV's like Accent/ Sonata / Tucson and so on.
Thanks ! Keep updated.
I will post all categories of vehicle Right from Hyundai, Daewoo bus, Samsung Cars, MUV, SUV etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The first KIA is a rip off from the Mercedes Benz E-Class.. what a shame!
There are many models here which is rip of others.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 12:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Opirus is Kia's equivalent of the Sonata - Or is it the equivalent of Kia Amanti sold in North America?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Amanti was based on the old Hyundai XG.
The Kia Oprius (Sold as Amanti in US) is real ugly and badly copied version of some models of Jaguar + MB E-Class all pasted together by 4th grader!

I have used the Kia Carnival for about a month traveling from Norfolk, VA to New York City, NY and back and another trip from Las Vegas,NV to Barstow, CA and back, its a very good family car, very spacious, decent handling but poor fuel economy may be cos I was flooring the throttle most of the time.

The current Sonata is a copy of the previous generation of Honda Accord with some variations such as the headlights and other stuff.

The last one in white is the Hyundai Coupe, the present model is a pretty good design, heres one pic for you:
Name:  Coupe.jpg
Views: 5690
Size:  124.6 KB

Hyundai has some decent new models now, like the Genesis and the Genesis coupe and all. The models are limited where I am but I guess their are more available where you are and in the North America & Europe.
dr_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 13:49   #11
BHPian

This thread has come at the absolute right time. I will be travelling to Seoul this Monday, for about a week. Anuj, are you based out of Seoul as well? I'll definitely try and get some more dope on the S. Korean car scene!
PhrozenFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 13:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Then you did not see the "SsangYong Chairman" when you see from distance you will call it a Merc E class absolutely. I will post those pics very soon. These are the night pics so not much clear. Yes, Opirus is some copy of Merc E class.

The SsangYong Chairman is a large luxury sedan made by the South Korean automaker SsangYong Motor Company. It is built on a 1980s Mercedes-Benz E-Class (known as the W124) platform, but styled to resemble a 1990s Mercedes-Benz S-Class (known as the W140).

Wiki - source
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 14:38   #13
nbr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
The SsangYong Chairman is a large luxury sedan made by the South Korean automaker SsangYong Motor Company. It is built on a 1980s Mercedes-Benz E-Class (known as the W124) platform, but styled to resemble a 1990s Mercedes-Benz S-Class (known as the W140).

Wiki - source
Now the SsangYong is owned by Renault-Nissan management. They are already using Ssangyong engines in their Nissan Sunny's
nbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 14:47   #14
nbr
BHPian

Thumbs up You missed out Stunning Hyundai H-1

[quote=anujmishra;1061118]Hi,

Here are the few pictures from Hyundai Land - South Korea. Here we see too many models and all models are fast changing.

Anujmishra, you forgot to add Hyundai's new van H-1 or Starex.
This is the design i ever liked of Hyundai. Its beautiful ,it creases and curves.Even in Dubai,while Nobdoy goes for a Hyundai , there are couple number of H-1's around. Hyundai should seriously think of getting this van to India. Definately Innova & Mahindra's new MUV will have a serious challenger.
These photos actually dont make much justice,you should seeit in real.Its a worth buy for a big family.
Attached Images

nbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 14:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post

Wiki - source
It also featured an engine provided by Mercedes Benz to Ssangyong for another of their creations. Needless to say, Mercedes were "not amused" when the S-Class inspired Chairman came out with a Mercedes engine!

Ssangyong is now owned by Shanghai Automotive Industries Corp, SAIC, who bought Daewoo's stake in the company.

They have some notoriously ugly vehicles to their credit like the SS Korando and the Rexton.

They're not the only copycats around though: in an interesting role-reversal, BMW seems to have copied the styling of the Ssangyong Actyon for their X6 SAC:

Car Scene from Hyundailand - South Korea-ssangyongactyonlat.jpg

Name:  ssangyongactyon04.jpg
Views: 4235
Size:  21.2 KB

Name:  bmwx6front.JPG
Views: 3820
Size:  22.1 KB

Car Scene from Hyundailand - South Korea-x6sacbmw.jpg

Last edited by Steeroid : 21st November 2008 at 14:52.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote