Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 23rd November 2008, 18:05   #16
BHPian

Quote:
End of the day, its gonna make money for the company. And since many people would buy it,
Absolutely. I did state earlier that it will be a sales success without a doubt. But my point is different and not related to potential success : It is sacrilege for Porsche to make a diesel SUV! 4 door diesel sedans sell too, maybe you'd support one from Porsche when it comes out too? The day is prolly not too far away with the Panarema et all.

Quote:
If brand dilution was the case, then the Boxster wouldn't exist in the first place.
Incorrect. The Boxster still maintains Porsches core values. And yes, it is a sports car. In fact, the only reason that Porsche didn't give the Boxster + roof (Cayman) an LSD is that, the performance would be within a fraction of the 911.

Quote:
In that case the v6 petrol cayanne too is only almost quick as the mundane family sedan, the 530i.
I have never welcomed the V6 Cayenne with open arms either.

Quote:
Porsche need not have a history of diesel engines, it has a headstart thanks to its brother VW.
Old 23rd November 2008, 18:16   #17
@ri
BHPian

I guess Porsche is one of the first to have launched "ALL" their stuff in India! and I guess there is a really high demand for the same!
Also as per the "Diesel" aspect of it, I completely agree with Sahil, Mercedes Benz specifically have been running a project/study for quite some time now regarding Diesel powerplants and what I have heard (correct me if I am wrong on this) is that the Diesels are a lot easier to cleanup compared to the petrol ones!
@ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 18:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ri View Post
I guess Porsche is one of the first to have launched "ALL" their stuff in India!
Not that it's very relevant, but Bentley have done it too. All 6 i.e. Arnage and Conti in sedan, cabrio and coupe form are here.

And what is all this talk of the 530 being a mundane family sedan? Hush! I just had the drive of my life a couple of days back.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 24th November 2008 at 18:36.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 17:39   #19
BHPian

Never mind the Critics, The Porsche Cayenne Diesel is here.
And guess what, it will sell too...
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 17:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Never mind the Critics, The Porsche Cayenne Diesel is here.
And guess what, it will sell too...
So when can we see pics of the first car?
I hope the rear badge doesn't say Cayanne_D

I believe ex showroom minus octroi is 65 lakhs? What standard features will that have?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 18:01   #21
BHPian

It will have the same standard features of the Cayenne 6-Cylinder petrol and its 65 Lakhs ex-showroom minus octroi.

And there wouldnt be a D badge at the back (i guess).
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 20:11   #22
BHPian

I think the Diesel Cayenne should work well for Porsche's India sales. With the introduction of the Panamera, and its Diesel version, Porsche should be a significant player in the CBU marketspace. People who usually drive BMWs and Mercedeses are simply are awestruck after driving a Porsche.

If Porsche could offer wider dealership and service facilities on a pan- India basis, they could fare much better. Porsche might reassure prospective buyers about prompt service backup, but the availability of a dealership/ service workshop in the South should go a long way in convincing them about their 65-75L cars. If volumes do not call for standalone facilities, a tie-up with any established workshop should be considered. I know of many people who wants to buy a Cayenne, but go for Q7s, X5s and MLs just because of their apprehensions about maintenance facilities, and of course the availability of appropriate grade/ quality fuel especially after Reliance pumps have stopped functioning.
Yeldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 12:22   #23
BHPian

Default Not to be sneered at

While saying 'diesel' in the same breath as 'Porsche' is akin to saying 'rosy' and 'shark' or 'mawkish' and 'Mafia', it's not entirely to be scoffed at.

In the world- very fast world - of speedboat racing, 8 of the top 10 teams use massive diesels to power their craft. Typically, a pace-setting boat is equipped with twin Lamborghini V-12 truck diesels. They may not rev like Dame Kiri te Kanawa, but they could tow the Eiffel Tower.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote