Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 21st April 2005, 18:41   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Bye Bye Ford Taurus

Ford to end Taurus Production

Not so long ago, the Taurus was the best selling sedan in the United States...beating Hondas Accord and Toyotas Camry. Now with dwindling sales, its going to be axed.

A piece of history - Most certainly!

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 19:06   #2
BHPian

Ahh, miss my old finance professor's taurus. So wonder what is ford rellying on apart from mustang and f150 sales??
Vulken Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 22:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto
Ahh, miss my old finance professor's taurus. So wonder what is ford rellying on apart from mustang and f150 sales??
Mustangs and F150s, come one man, how can you forget Focus which is a huge success? Don't forget the SUV series of Escape, Explorer, Expedition and Excursion.

This also means Sable, it's twin from the Mercury Stable will also retire. Used to own a Mercury Sable, big car, very comfortable, great ride comfort, the seats were almost like a sofa.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st April 2005 at 22:52.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 23:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

They should probably send the dies to India. Would make a nice big cheap car. FE would suck though...20mpg
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 10:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Taurus sales were not declining that much. They had fleet sales to keep the numbers up. The reason why the Taurus is axed because it will be replaced next year with the Ford Fusion (not the one we get here). This is a mid size car similar in dimensions to the Accord, but smaller than the Ford Five Hundred. The spy pics look promising.
What really saddens me is the fact that the extraordinary Mondeo, which ends its production cycle in 2007-08 may not necessarily be replaced by a similar car. To boost the sales, I think Ford should relaunch the Modeo in the US. In its previous avatar, the Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique was way to advanced than what Americans were used to and hence sales were negligible. Now that ordinary Americans have warmed up to European driving dynamics, the time is ripe for Ford to try and launch the Mondeo in the US.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote