Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 30th January 2009, 19:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default SLK Gullwing??????

Mercedes Benz SLK Gullwing???

Mercedes is currently working on a new sportscar to be slotted under the SLC supercar. The new Mercedes-Benz SLK Gullwing would be a hybrid, with an all-electric range of 120 miles, according to Auto Express.

The decision to make the top-of-the-line SLK with doors hinged in the roof had to do with battery placement. Mercedes is believed to want to put lithium-ion battery packs in the side sills, which would need to be raised higher to accomodate. This could be the same li-ion system seen in the Blue Zero E-Cell concept at this year's Detroit Auto Show. Regenerative brakes and a stop-start engine advance the hybrid system one step further.

Not many cars could get 40 mpg, and generate a relatively clean 150g of CO2 per kilometer, while maintaining a 0-60mph time of five seconds. That power comes thanks to an advancement on the current 3.5 liter V6 petrol engine. The current version produces 300 hp and up to 266 ft-lb of torque. Top speed of the new rear-wheel-drive would be around 155 mph.

With the new SLK lineup planned for a 2011 release, it is likely the Gullwing would come out later. If it gets the go-ahead, the new 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLK Gullwing would be a competitor to the Porsche Cayman S and the Audi TT RS.

Source: Auto Express
Attached Thumbnails
SLK Gullwing??????-1.jpg  

SLK Gullwing??????-4.jpg  

SLK Gullwing??????-3.jpg  

SLK Gullwing??????-2.jpg  

hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 21:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sigh.....I just hope they don't tout this as a successor to the good old 300 SL Gullwing!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 23:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Sigh.....I just hope they don't tout this as a successor to the good old 300 SL Gullwing!
The 300SL Gullwing was rated in a show on Discovery as one of the most beautiful car of its time, among others the Lamborghini Muira bagged numero uno.

So this new one does come close for a 2012 replacement version IMHO. I mean it is beautiful. But i also know you do like the older designs.

PS: Among that ranking the Muira also managed to bag the most uncomforable car with the Gullwing second as both cars had terrible seating positions for the driver.
Beauty is only skin deep.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 23:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
So this new one does come close for a 2012 replacement version IMHO. I mean it is beautiful. But i also know you do like the older designs.

PS: Among that ranking the Muira also managed to bag the most uncomforable car with the Gullwing second as both cars had terrible seating positions for the driver.
Beauty is only skin deep.
I don't think it is beautiful at all, never mind when compared to the Gullwing! And older cars like the Gullwing & Miura were designed for one purpose alone, going fast & if they looked good doing so, it was an added bonus! Creature comforts, ergonomics be damned!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 16:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Creature comforts, ergonomics be damned!
If you have a roaring V10/12 behind you a passenger wetting his pants with the sound of it then yes creature comforts be damned......ummm!!....maybe an air-con but thats it for me.

But when it comes to ergonomics; its a different ballgame for me. When the test driver sat into the Miura, his final driving position resembled the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I really would be able to drive fast seated like that.
Old 31st January 2009, 18:23   #6
BANNED

Hmmm.. This is still in the concept stage or what?

Keeping in mind the legendary Mercedes tradition, the design cues are far from reality, I believe (and wish the same too). This one is too butch to digest.

The technological advances are too good and sounds in the right direction ahead.
Keep it up, Merc!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 19:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Hmmm.. This is still in the concept stage or what?

Keeping in mind the legendary Mercedes tradition, the design cues are far from reality, I believe (and wish the same too). This one is too butch to digest.

The technological advances are too good and sounds in the right direction ahead.
Keep it up, Merc!
But whats wrong with a masculine butch design? would'nt you like the person in front of you to get scared looking at the above or would you preffer a sissy looking supercar.
I know to each his own but somehow i think that if the same design comes out then Merc has done a good job of designing the new gen Gullwing.

Personally i have hated Mercsutill the C63AMG came out which i would definately like to own and then this one. Even the SLR did'nt impress me much.

I just hope they leave the electric bit out with this one and stick to the V12 so that AMG can put out another stonker of a supercar.

Last edited by abhik : 31st January 2009 at 19:11.
Old 31st January 2009, 19:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I really should stop cribbing on every thread about a new Mercedes design, eh?
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:03   #9

Default SLS AMG Gullwing: Spy Pics

Here is the link
Mercedes SLS AMG Gullwing to come with 571hp and ?140,000 Price Tag - worldcarfans
Attached Images

KornKorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 01:18   #10
BHPian

Wow, for that price it looks like a pretty good car..
f450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 18:31   #11
BHPian

i like it.such a mean looking ride.lets see how well merc is able to put it in reality.
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 21:08   #12
Team-BHP Support

Pics posted by hanmust: Why did they change the front? The current SLK's front end is pretty good looking. This one is horrid. It looks like an XKR gone wrong. If they had to change it, why not look at the SL for ideas? The side and rear are superb.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 21:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Looks more like an elongated Miata (and very close to the Viper) to me.I'd love to see the car without the wraps.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 21:47   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Looks more like an elongated Miata (and very close to the Viper) to me.I'd love to see the car without the wraps.
Hehe. Who on this forum wouldnt ?

The car doesnt look too good. I know it's too early to make a judgement based on the camouflaged car, but whatever. The computer generatedi mage looks stunning to say the least.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 23:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks like an aggressive,focussed car.Long bonnet,short rear....should be a hoot to drive.Those black alloys look really mean..!
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote