Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 4th February 2009, 04:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
One has excellent dynamics and is a driver's car. The other is the Audi. Fairly simple, eh?
I think what devarishi meant was earlier there was a thin line between these two 'brands' and now there is the great china wall standing between these two brands.

cheers,
AC
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 09:40   #17
BHPian

WOAH!!!! That's huge news!

I rather like Banglesque styling. Traditional BMW design fans may now rejoice though
Nitronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 11:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Even though its a suprising news, I think its not a good news for auto fans.
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 15:17   #19
BHPian

however the world hated him,the fact remains that most of his design cues were neatly "integrated" by other car manufacturers .

i always liked the bangled up beemers as they were often referred to , plus he was also most probably bmw's most successfull sales related designer
abhijit 2284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:50   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Could be that he quit because BMW refused to give him an absolute free hand? Anyone who compares the current 7 to the weird outgoing gen would find it hard to believe that they were designed by the same guy!! They obviously were, but it is a matter of who had how much say.

Either ways, BMW is just about getting back on track with its designs. IMHO, the period of 2001 - 2007 will be written in history as the era of the worst BMW designs. I really don't see myself complaining, seeing that Bangle was the primary reason behind the weird looking lineup.

C'mon BMW! The new 7 is a start. Get back to the good ol' charismatic days!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Bangle really revolutionised design. In fact, for those who thought that Bangle designed everything from the last generation 7 Series onwards, they are mistaken. The E38, E39, E46... they've all been designed under his aegis.

I loved the E39. I still do. I hated the E60 and said it ain't a 5 Series. But I drove them all. Lived with them. And felt, hey it's got soul and character. it's 6 years old but look at it. It's so fresh and young. The new 5 Series comes out either at Frankfurt this year or Geneva next. But the current E60 won't look old. Bangle was a genius. He could see the future before we did. We mocked at him. I mocked at him. But I love him. Today. And realise that he's a living great whom we took to liking too late.

His designs have influenced everything from competitors ever since. I like some of Peter Da Silva's work. Peter Schreyer. Even Patrick Le Quement. In a way he allowed them to become better because he got the freedom from BMW management. Others realised their folly. Everyone tries copying Bangle designs. But how many will be immortal is something only time will tell. For now, it seems that 20 years down the line we won't frown upon the E60. Or E90. As for Bangle succeeding during the upswing, yes it's true. There was way too much money from 03 to 07 in global markets. But BMW also succeeded partly due to their design. Looks matter to most people. And most liked what they saw at BMW. Mercedes was getting too Korean. Audi had designs that made an A6 indistinguishable from an A8 and Jags and Saabs were just evolutions.

Hooydonk, his disciple might take things further. The 6 and new 7 Series, the new Z4 and X6 have his signature on them. He has some good signs. The new 7 looks great even though it's evolutionary. The 6 is a classic design that looked yuck in 2004 but looks pretty good today. Hope he can replicate Bangle's success.
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 19:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I loved the Bangle designs. Every single one of them. And I hate the new ones coming about. Things are going to change a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Either ways, BMW is just about getting back on track with its designs. IMHO, the period of 2001 - 2007 will be written in history as the era of the worst BMW designs. I really don't see myself complaining, seeing that Bangle was the primary reason behind the weird looking lineup.

C'mon BMW! The new 7 is a start. Get back to the good ol' charismatic days!
I completely expected that. We're always on polar opposite ends when it comes to Bangle eh?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 4th February 2009 at 19:59.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 20:34   #23
Team-BHP Support

Whether Chris Bangle screwed up BMW designs or not, it looks like it didn't really matter. Their sales have been good. So, obviously, his designs have been well accepted.
For me, I think the smaller BMWs were Bangle's strength. I liked all the 3s till date, the Zs and the 5s and X5 to some extent. May come as a surprise to many, but, I even like 1 Series. The 6 Series IMO is sad and the outgoing 7 is among the ugliest cars I've ever seen. Its wheels only worsen it. I haven't seen the new 7 in person so I won't comment.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 15:43   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster View Post
In fact, for those who thought that Bangle designed everything from the last generation 7 Series onwards, they are mistaken. The E38, E39, E46... they've all been designed under his aegis.
We all love the E38 / 9 / 46 wot? But I feel the difference is in how much of a free rein was given to Bangle. The E65 was a disaster, sales notwithstanding (since the luxury segment & BMWs distribution grew around the same time) and according to reports, this was the first car that Bangle was given an absolute free hand on. Also consider that the E38 looks great 15 years down the line. I bet the E65 will be an eyesore in 2017!

If the new 7 series is an indication of BMWs next generation of cars (including the 3 & the 5), I couldn't be any happier. The lines are clean, timeless and reek of understated class while still giving the car the presence that a 1 crore sedan needs. When you are selling the exact same model in all markets globally, as opposed to Honda / Toyota etc. who localise designs / platforms, you'd better have a design that pleases all. Rather than one that ticks off a substantial chunk of your potentials.

Design is all the more important for BMW now, as compared to Mercedes who seem to have lost the plot (rear of the new C, the weird lines of the S and the deplorable new E). Come to think of it, design is the sole distinguishing factor in modern luxo-barges where everything else is so evenly matched (power, ride, trim levels, equipment, luxury etc.).

Quote:
I hated the E60 and said it ain't a 5 Series. But I drove them all. Lived with them. And felt, hey it's got soul and character. it's 6 years old but look at it.
Simply put, its grown on you.

Quote:
Everyone tries copying Bangle designs.
Everyone except BMW. Period! The F01 7 series has nothing in common with the E65. That says a lot about BMWs acceptance of their follies, and their intention to correct.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 19:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I haven't seen the new 7 in person so I won't comment.
OT but I heard it's on display at Navnit.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 08:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Some news regarding Bangle leaving BMW. He left the company over a project that is what the news I came across.
Source : Claim: Bangle Left BMW Over Project i - worldcarfans

Article :
Quote:
An explanation for the resignation of Chris Bangle from BMW has appeared on the Internet. Information gathered from the BMWblog.com points to a difference of opinion regarding the design direction of Project i. Project i which has been given the go-ahead by the BMW board of directors, is about "new car and mobility concepts" meant to explore transportation solutions for the biggest cities. This important project is still in its infancy in motor industry terms but the infancy stage is when things design-related get created, discussed and approved. It seems Bangle had a clash of ideas with BMW CEO Dr Norbert Reithofer, Chief of Research & Development Dr Klaus Draeger and his own protégé Adrian van Hooydonk in as far as Project i was concerned.

The clash was about whether Project i would fall under one of the three existing BMW brands (excluding Motorrad and M) or be serviced under a brand new label. Each of these brands - BMW, MINI and Rolls Royce has its own design language. Bangle then decided to fall on his sword rather than take responsibility for a design strategy he did not approve.

The BMW board tried to convince him to stay, even offered him other positions at BMW. One of these positions was that of Design Director at Designworks USA where van Hooydonk once plied his trade. All this was in vain. He had made up his mind to leave. However he will still work with BMW in his new personal design initiative.

A new era of design has now been ushered at BMW in which final direction will come from Adrian van Hooydonk. Because lead times are counted in years, van Hooydonk's style will only be seen in the next 6 or 7 years time. But his concepts like the CS Concept can already be appreciated.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 08:23   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Why cant they make a car that looks like the old M3 CSL? The E46 M3 was a beauty. Anytime I see a non-Bangled BMW on the road(either here or abroad), I wonder what went wrong with the idiots at BMW.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 09:24   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Steeroid : The only justfication for Bangle's Mangled designs were the fact that the cars were selling more than they did at any other point in the company's history. I doubt if BMW's sales would've been any worse with any other designer.

Personally I glad we wont be seeing any more of his queer designs. I just love the pre-Bangle era Beemers.
+1.

No more Bungle in the automotive-jungle.
No more Bangled-MW.
Quote:
Nikhilb2008 : Anytime I see a non-Bangled BMW on the road(either here or abroad), I wonder what went wrong with the idiots at BMW.
Idiots can't go more wrong than they already are, can they ?

They (BMW) were doing great till that point .. wonder what made them do what they did !
Quote:
sidindica : " .. though more recent designs - such as the all-new 7-Series - have been toned down compared to his earlier designs, like the current 6-Series .. "
The extract from the first post in this thread would suggest something has been cooking. While his designs may be loved by many, I will always love those un-bang'ed, un-bungle'ed simple, sexy, sleek silhouttes that were a trade-mark of BMW's ..

Bye bye, Bangle.

Last edited by condor : 6th February 2009 at 09:28.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 10:51   #29
BHPian

Someone finally heard my prayers. I absolutely hated almost all of his BMW designs.

I hope the classic BMW designs from the 80's and 90's come back now.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 11:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Triumph of good over evil!

I sure hope that this is not a rumour. I hated what Bangle did to the BMWs, more so when one considers what the originals looked like. Bangle is the only reason why a BMW was not in my list of contenders 2 years ago. After all who wants a car with 'chudii'! I do think that BMW sold cars in spite of Bangle and not because of him.

Honda must be cussing though, they just copied the bangled BMWs in their ANHC!

I hope that Bangle stays true to his word and stays out of the auto industry.

Cheers
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote