Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 3rd February 2009, 20:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default BREAKING: BMW design chief Chris Bangle quits job and leaves auto industry

source 1:Breaking: BMW design chief Bangle quits job

Chris Bangle, the often controversial BMW Group head of design who has essentially become a household name for millions of enthusiasts across the world, has announced that he will be leaving the German automaker to “pursue his own design-related endeavors beyond the auto industry,” according to a release issued earlier today.

Bangle’s departure comes as a surprise to many in the industry because, despite his polarizing designs across the BMW lineup, his projects have generally been met with commercial success and he is well-revered within BMW circles.
Adrian van Hooydonk, head of design for the BMW brand, will succeed Bangle effective immediately.
Bangle’s unique surface detailing has become a staple of the BMW lineup, though more recent designs - such as the all-new 7-Series - have been toned down compared to his earlier designs, like the current 6-Series.
As more information regarding Bangle’s rather abrupt departure becomes available, we’ll continue to update you.

source 2: BMW design boss Chris Bangle leaves auto industry: AutoWeek Magazine

MW Group's design head Chris Bangle is quitting "to pursue his own design-related endeavors beyond the auto industry," the German carmaker said Tuesday.
Adrian van Hooydonk, head of design for BMW brand, will succeed Bangle.
"Christopher Bangle has had a lasting impact on the identity of BMW Group's brands. His contribution to the company's success has been decisive," said Klaus Draeger, BMW's development chief in a statement.

Last edited by sidindica : 3rd February 2009 at 21:00.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Chris Bangle quits. Damn , i loved the designs a lot. the bangle lines :(
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Phew!!! Finally

2009 is a watershed year. First (Dubya) Bush gone and now Bangle. Both of them wrecked havoc.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd February 2009 at 21:58.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

his designs will still prevail for a decade. The new 7 just launched had been designed by him and so is the new 5 which is due next year.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Chris Bangle quits. Damn , i loved the designs a lot. the bangle lines :(

Me too. It took some time to get used to his designs, but I loved them of late.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

FINALLY the god has heard our wishes and put some sense in bangle to leave BMW and have mercy on us car lovers.Hope BMW gets back to the pre bangled designs.like the previous generation 3 series.Not a line out of place.

Thank you god!!!
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

It stands a fact that good or not Bangle's designs did have a positive effect on the company's sales.

This will certainly tell on the company's earnings and sales.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 00:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
It stands a fact that good or not Bangle's designs did have a positive effect on the company's sales.
Bangle had his spot in the limelight during an economic boom. It wasnt just BMW that had their highest sales during this period - almost everyone did.

The only justfication for Bangle's Mangled designs were the fact that the cars were selling more than they did at any other point in the company's history. I doubt if BMW's sales would've been any worse with any other designer.

If growth in sales is an indication of how good a designer is, the greatest of them all would be Peter Schreyer who turned Audi into a serious luxury market contender.

Personally I glad we wont be seeing any more of his queer designs. I just love the pre-Bangle era Beemers.

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th February 2009 at 00:13.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 00:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

I loved the BMWs that Chris Bangle designed. The Beemers earlier had a look, but Chris defined them. Chris refined them. You look at a BMW and you know its a BMW.

He has done a wonderfull job, but i do think he could have made the designs a little more subtle, but he rocked.

Cheers,
AC
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 01:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

So there is a God. Can't stand virtually 85% of his design ideas. Did like the original X5 though. That's about it. :/
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 02:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

The 5-series was the only Bangled car, the design of which took a little time to grow on me. The Bangled post-facelift 7-series, 6-series, X6 SUV-coupe, M3 rock. But the pre-facelift 7-series, 3-series, X5 and X3 are legendary-fugly-classic design-gaffes.
And I completely agree with Steeroid. It's a fact that BMW did well during Bangle's reign just because he reigned BMW during the times of globalisation and economic boom when all brands of similar stature were doing well.
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 02:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Bangle had his spot in the limelight during an economic boom. It wasnt just BMW that had their highest sales during this period - almost everyone did.

The only justfication for Bangle's Mangled designs were the fact that the cars were selling more than they did at any other point in the company's history. I doubt if BMW's sales would've been any worse with any other designer.

If growth in sales is an indication of how good a designer is, the greatest of them all would be Peter Schreyer who turned Audi into a serious luxury market contender.

Personally I glad we wont be seeing any more of his queer designs. I just love the pre-Bangle era Beemers.

I precisely found little difference between Audis and BMW's. Its Bangle and Peter Shreyer who have distiguished the brands. A BMW now will be a BMW and not mistaken for another car.

I have also seen Lexus follow the Bangled design cues on their IS.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 03:00   #13
BHPian

Personally, I believe Chris Bangle is one of the most influential car designers. And i am one of the biggest fans of his design style. Call it what you like, but he has revolutionized the automotive design industry.

The current generation 5 series and the 6 series coupe being my favourite examples. They simply look stunning and will do so even 15 years later.
But its really sad that he has quit :(
ReckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 03:21   #14
BHPian

Finallyyyy!! I guess the only BMW design I liked under Bangle was the M5 (more because of the engine!) and the 6 series.

I wish they could go back to the previous gen 3 and 5 series..they just looked so right..Muscular and beefy.
Brabus E V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 04:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I precisely found little difference between Audis and BMW's. Its Bangle and Peter Shreyer who have distiguished the brands. A BMW now will be a BMW and not mistaken for another car.
One has excellent dynamics and is a driver's car. The other is the Audi. Fairly simple, eh?
ananthkamath is online now   Reply With Quote