Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 25th February 2009, 10:50   #1
BHPian

Default The Nissan GTR Tranny failures Myth or Fact

The Nissan GTR. Hailed as one of the greatest motoring icon of the past 2 years has been in a rocking cradle of controversy ever since its launch and slowly gaining momentum with people asking questions.

The dreaded launch control feature of the car. As Nissan puts it if you use it to much(more than 10 times) then they are not responsible for the transmission failures.

If thats the case then why provide it in the final production car. You can have the feature but keep it hidden so that modders may discover it eventually and exploite it but why have it in a production car if it is so unreliable.

Some people had transmission failures even without using the launch control feature and even then then they were not covered by the warranty.

So another question I have is. Is transmission the only part not covered in their warranty?

I mean if you are really driving your car slowly and very carefully then it kind of defeats the purpose of a sports car.

People say its better and faster than a Porsche 911, but then again why is it not as reliable? Even Porsche's have had tranny failures but not to the extent that the GTR has.

There are GTR's also whose launch control has been abused innumerably without any transmission failures.
Dont get me wrong, that I am a Porsche fan and am simply bashing the GTR.

I truly love this car and before the launch I wanted this beast even more than a Lamborghini. But seeing all the bashing this car received for its transmission failures has really pained me.

Is this thing some big corporate fraud(seeing as a tranny replacement cost more than $20,000) or just some simple engineering oversight?

Sorry for such a large post
runeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 18:39   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeet View Post
The Nissan GTR. Hailed as one of the greatest motoring icon of the past 2 years has been in a rocking cradle of controversy ever since its launch and slowly gaining momentum with people asking questions.
I haven't heard anything of the sort, but if it's true, I completely agree with you. The feature should not be available in production cars.

That said, most cars have problems when they are first launched. They're rectified in the updated models. So expect the '10 or '11 model GTR to be near-perfect.
f450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 19:40   #3
BHPian

Damn!! Just when I thought about picking up one for myself. I guess I'll stick with my Corolla for now!!
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 20:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I mean if you are really driving your car slowly and very carefully then it kind of defeats the purpose of a sports car.
LC stresses the drivetrain too much.
I'm not surprised and I wouldn't be bothered even if I owned a GTR. Avoid very hard launches and one should be fine.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 20:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

I too have not heard of this failure.. Its news to me... Also transmission is covered by warranty so they cannot shirk their responsibility.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 20:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
I too have not heard of this failure.. Its news to me... Also transmission is covered by warranty so they cannot shirk their responsibility.
not covered if you launch hard or abuse the transmission by drag racing and driven with vdc off.

so much for the nissan hype.

apparently even hitler has also broken his transmission

pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 21:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Come on dude. Every car come with a "warranty voided if...." clause. I am not supporting Nissan. It is an issue which they have to address. But some of these owners with a broken set of cogs would have really given it the beans.

Reminds me of the EVO owners who complained that the EVO IX's came with a sinfully weak clutch. They dump the clutch at redline and expect their clutches to last a lifetime!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
not covered if you launch hard or abuse the transmission by drag racing and driven with vdc off.

so much for the nissan hype.

apparently even hitler has also broken his transmission

That video is HILARIOUS!!! MUST post it in the Jokes Thread!

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th February 2009 at 21:25. Reason: Language.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 21:17   #8
BHPian

HAHAHA ! That video was hilarious..
overboost! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 00:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Runeet: yes there has been a number of "purported" transmission failures in Nissan GT-Rs all concerning the usage(or abusing ) the lauch control system.
There has already been a lawsuit slapped on Nissan by a fuming customer who changed his transmission becuase nissan failed to cover it under warranty.
The following article is from a Nissan forum.

Source:Nissan GT-R: Launch Control is Dead, Long Live VDC | Car News Blog at Motor Trend

In a letter sent to its dealers earlier this week, Nissan USA outlined changes it is making to the 2010 Nissan GT-R and the remaining stock of 2009 models. These changes affect all GT-Rs sold globally and are designed to specifically address the controversy surrounding Godzilla's much-hyped transmission issues.

What are these changes? We spoke to our sources inside Nissan for clarification and here is what they told us: essentially, "launch control" is no more -- though you'd never hear Nissan put it that way. From the beginning, it has never formally recognized the term, preferring instead the more inscrutable "VDC Off" terminology.

Nissan claims to have performed a software update to the transmission control module (TCM) with the goal of removing any real or perceived performance advantage gained by turning Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) off. In its place, Nissan says the update will allow the GT-R to shift smoother and accelerate faster in "normal" (VDC on) mode. As far as Nissan USA is concerned, the changes are aimed at improving the car's overall performance and boosting customer satisfaction.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 11:42   #10
BHPian

At last they finally listend to the complaints, even without the launch control its still a great car to own.
But still when people consider plonking down upwards of $80K for this car they will stil have a thing niggling in the back of their mind about the transmission.
I had not heard about the evo failures, did they get sorted out?
Old 26th February 2009, 22:50   #11
BHPian

Talking about the EVO, I had read somewhere, that if car was used for Drag racing (not sure on-track/ off-track), Warranty would be void. And to keep a check on this, they'd even watch Drag videos posted on the net, note the EVO registration number and use it as proof that the car was used for Drag. If i'm not mistaken, there was also some sensor that would record the fact that Engine was red-lined, which would also create issues with Warranty.
Is this true?
Sorry if Off Topic.
overboost! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 23:47   #12
BHPian

Default Do not launch your gtr or take the vdc off... What a waste of money.

Friends this is what i came across when going through the forum.

do not launch your gtr or take the vdc off - NAGTROC - The Nissan GT-R Owners Club

Article Courtesy : North American GTR Owners Club

Niki.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th March 2009 at 12:42. Reason: Please SEARCH before creating a new thread.
nikibusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 11:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikibusa View Post
Friends this is what i came across when going through the forum.

do not launch your gtr or take the vdc off - NAGTROC - The Nissan GT-R Owners Club

Article Courtesy : North American GTR Owners Club

Niki.
This above was the exact thing that I came across while searching for GTR data.
Thats the reason I started this thread.
But anyhow in the new nissan GTR's the launch control feature has been removed so there arent any more problems.