Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 13th March 2009, 02:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Chill guys - It is a newspaper article that is being discussed and that was not written by a Bhpian. So why get all defensive and demand that this thread be taken off etc? Gays are there in every country, it is obvious that Saudi will have its share of them. Why get all prudish at the mention of gays? Whether gays drift better than straight guys is what we need to discuss
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 04:58   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Er...the supposed link that all the good drifters are gay?
Or perhaps more importantly, the suggestion that lots of jihadi terrorists have a drifting background?
Those 2 associations were in absolute bad taste. whats the article about; bored saudis racing or arabs are gays and terrorists; and racing is a camouflage?

Last edited by Ali G : 13th March 2009 at 04:59.
Ali G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 05:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali G View Post
Those 2 associations were in absolute bad taste. whats the article about; bored saudis racing or arabs are gays and terrorists; and racing is a camouflage?
Seems to be more of the latter.
f450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 08:21   #34
ECM
BHPian

Can't understand why people are so much sensitive?Yes there can be various reasons for showing your concern if anybudy writes over something happening to our people here or "there" but when it is about "others"why so much concern boss?
Generally your petriotism tells you to raise your voice for those who are your countrymen and this is natural.Why so much halla gulla for "others"???
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 09:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Can't understand why people are so much sensitive?Yes there can be various reasons for showing your concern if anybudy writes over something happening to our people here or "there" but when it is about "others"why so much concern boss?
Generally your petriotism tells you to raise your voice for those who are your countrymen and this is natural.Why so much halla gulla for "others"???
It's called humanity.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:28   #36
ECM
BHPian

Oic,thanks for drawing my kind attention.
Quote:
It's called humanity.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
This wasn't what we were taught, growing up, right?

I wouldn't want to sound judgemental but if i was just concerned about something that happened to 'our' people then that wouldn't be patriotism, I would just be a selfish individual who feels that everything's alright as long as it's not happening to me. And then why later expect someone to be concerned for 'our' welfare.

No one here is forced to stand up for someone else, we should accept that people can be genuinely concerned (even if I'm not). Patriotism isn't a word to be thrown around lightly.
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 10:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe this poem best describes why
Quote:
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 10:53   #39
ECM
BHPian

chill guys and ask yourself how "others"take care of ourselves and talk of humanity etc!!
Think twice before you jump,think and think harder.
Quote:
I wouldn't want to sound judgemental but if i was just concerned about something that happened to 'our' people then that wouldn't be patriotism
I am talking of local petriotism and not international type,my vision is a narrowed type.
Forget local or international buddy,ask yourself how much "others" care for India nowadays and in the past and if they care thats due to their own interest.Our mentality is such that we think twice fearing what others may think about me if I do this,get out of this mania.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
chill guys and ask yourself how "others"take care of ourselves and talk of humanity etc!!
Think twice before you jump,think and think harder.

I am talking of local petriotism and not international type,my vision is a narrowed type.
Forget local or international buddy,ask yourself how much "others" care for India nowadays and in the past and if they care thats due to their own interest.Our mentality is such that we think twice fearing what others may think about me if I do this,get out of this mania.
There is nothing wrong with standing up against something that you feel is wrong. As greenhorn's poem below will tell you, when you help others in their time of need, they will help you in your time of need.

And in case you forgot, let me remind you of how many nations sent relief aid during the Tsunami aftermath. Again, it's called humanity.

Btw greenhorn, great poem.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Yup, it is a great poem. Find out more about it here
First they came... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 12:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

My countrymen in south India
are pained of the atrocities
committed to their ilk
in an Island country.
They protested, and are protesting, and how!

That does not make them lesser
patriotic to their parent country
now, does it?
Try convincing them to 'chill'.

The situation here is analogous.

For some the topic means:
Just an article.
Fair enough, everyone
has a right to an opinion and it is an
honest and innocent one, no doubt.

For me:
It is an attempt to convince the readers of the newspaper
of how horrible their belief is.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 14:17   #43
BHPian

A misguided journo generalizing in this case something as trivial as about saudi boy racers, incidentally you will find thousands of articles doing exactly this sort of sensationalizing in just today's news simply because this is how the media is, is hardly a humanity issue, on the other hand the ill treatment of immigrant workers especially from our subcontinent in places like Saudi Arabia is definitely a humanity issue. For god's sake when it comes to humanity and suffering we have plenty of stuff to think about in India itself. This thread is way out of perspective.

Last edited by raul : 13th March 2009 at 14:21.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 14:46   #44
BANNED

This is what is called West's fascinations for the East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
"It ranges from garden variety drag racing to “drifting,” a dangerous practice in which drivers spin out and skid sideways at high speeds, sometimes killing themselves and spectators."
Lets see East's fascination for the West:
"It happens suddenly - someone in the crowd pulls out an automatic and starts firing, sometimes indiscriminately, instantly killing hordes of women and children, along with men. Later he will turn the gun on to himself"
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 16:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Lets see East's fascination for the West:
"It happens suddenly - someone in the crowd pulls out an automatic and starts firing, sometimes indiscriminately, instantly killing hordes of women and children, along with men. Later he will turn the gun on to himself"
This is exactly what I commented on! I mean the article written was as if everything in the journo's country is hale and hearty.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote