Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 1st August 2009, 23:03   #31
BHPian

why the hell do they want to kill it.They could give away the engine for some one else.That will be wise decision than this IMHO.

Watching the smoke coming out of the engine makes any car lover sad.
jithudigitised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 23:40   #32
BANNED

i would say "learn from Indians and re-cycle"! why kill when you can cannibalise!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 23:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

This is like Hostel and Saw for car junkies.Very disturbing.
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:14   #34
Team-BHP Support

Lok at it from a cost to change perspective. Probably got huge discount. The additional $4500 made is worth chucking a perfectly good car away.

Quite a few good cars have been crushed in Europe for this reason
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:01   #35
BHPian

My gawd, thats ghastly. I recall the junk dealer saying that they usually make profits by selling the engines of the scrap cars which is not possible in these cases. But this example really sucks, this seems like a perfectly good car. Rather than fixing dates, they should have made a percentage revaluation of giving cash to a car which is say 20% less polluting than the one being traded in. Also the older one should be junked only if its 'really polluting and non-efficient'. I dont know how to define that, but this car is certainly not fitting the bill.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Bad, very bad. I dont know how this rebate stuff is helpful to economy or environment. Its certainly not for environment. Manufacturing a car, transporting it from the place where it was made, all use energy.
This is nothing but sadism/sadistic approach and selfishness at its best.
Sorry to say ( I know its not good part and OT ), but I think the country where this video is made has excess money that too it came with relatively less work.

They are just too busy making miscalculations. Even selling off the engine would be good. Anybody else can use it. IMHO, US has a lot of people who actually do modification stuff.
While the carbon footprint does come into play, looking at the bigger picture, a new car with a newer engine would equate to better emissions, and hence a cleaner environment and also will be safer than a 5-10 year old car.

Also the Americans could really use the extra jobs created by making and selling new cars, although half of these jobs would probably go to Mexico. In the end, if they don't have a job, they won't have any money in their pockets to pay back China's debt, and then China will take over the USA and dominate over everyone. You wouldn't want that now, would you?

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 3rd August 2009 at 12:59.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 08:48   #37
BHPian

Default Trade in the gas-guzzlers for a new ride - Toyota Corolla tops the charts

I was reading this on CNBC website. After lot of debate, the Senate reached a deal on saving the dwindling "cash for clunkers" program late Wednesday, agreeing to vote on a plan that would add $2 billion to the popular rebate program and give car shoppers until September to trade in their gas-guzzlers for a new ride.

Under this scheme, car buyers would get $3500 to #4500 discount for trading in their gas guzzler for a better fuel efficient car.

As per the article, this program has led to packed dealerships through out the US.

Car companies have credited the clunkers program with driving up sales in late July. Most consumers are buying smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles under the program, according to a list of the top-10 selling cars released Wednesday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The Toyota Corolla is the top-selling vehicle on the list, followed by the Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Toyota Prius and the Toyota Camry. There is one SUV on the list, the Ford Escape, which also comes in a hybrid model. Six of the top-10 selling vehicles are built by foreign manufacturers, but most are built in North America.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 14:56   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, its worked wonders in Europe, I don't see why North America has got to be any different.

But all that *fuel efficient* car stuff is nonsense. Think of it as an abused marketing term to stay politically correct and please the environmentalists. This is a stimulus for the auto industry, plain and simple. If it was indeed all about fuel efficiency, there are smaller and more fuel efficient cars in the States. But then, America wasn't really about small hatchbacks ever was it? Guess that's a discussion for another thread.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 10:01   #39

Default Obama's formulates Hemlock Potion for cars

Don't know if Obama might turn tables around to help recover the US economy but what he is doing to cars is something thats really intolerable? Aren't there better methods? Why is he killing engines like this.

This is the 'Cash for Clunkers' program in the US which is gaining momentum. Not something car lovers would like to see

VIDEO: Cash for Clunkers engine being killed — Autoblog
flanker.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 20:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Its true that what's being done is not the subtle way of treating cars.
But the only thing positive is this. Gas guzzlers are a liability to the country, and they pollute the environment much more than the gas sippers. And by using $3billion in funds that pay for these guzzlers, the Govt is actually getting the public to invest $21billion by going in for new cars. This is already making a change in the economy, and car makers are slowly begining to feel the pressure ease off a bit. Few more jobs have been created, with car dealerships experiencing a slight increase in car sales. (correct me if the numbers don't show an increase).

I agree that it is a painful sight to see car/SUVs/MUVs and pickup trucks getting flattened like pancakes. Every morning I see atleast 2-3 semis loaded with (what should be ) 10-15 'flat' cars.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 20:39   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont see why they need to be tortured like this. YOu could always put a salvage title on it and send it to a junkyard where it will be stripped and sold off in many parts.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 21:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I dont see why they need to be tortured like this. YOu could always put a salvage title on it and send it to a junkyard where it will be stripped and sold off in many parts.
In Germany, most cars that came through similar programme were stolen and sold in other markets. They continue to pollute elsewhere. To prevent such a situation, the U.S has adopted this method.
After scrap, they will be recycled as metal anyway.
The gas savings from moving to new cars (since 50% of new cars bought were japanese) is expected to result in huge savings in addition to stimulus to various sectors.

Last edited by srishiva : 11th August 2009 at 21:19.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 07:45   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

One feels sorry to see a funtional car being ruined. But then I guess in the interest of teh US auto industry the US govt. has done it. I doubt whether they care two hoots about the environment.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 08:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One feels sorry to see a funtional car being ruined. But then I guess in the interest of teh US auto industry the US govt. has done it. I doubt whether they care two hoots about the environment.
Two hoots? They don't care even one! I believe that this approach to the environment, along with the competition for energy with China and India in the future will prove to be the reason for WW3. Mankind has lived for too long without a major conflict, and given the dictates of human nature, one is not too far away.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 09:26   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
In Germany, most cars that came through similar programme were stolen and sold in other markets. .

Not most, apporx 10%. Some of these cars had no value but were totally road worthy. The carbon footprint to build a replacement is higher than letting these cars run IMHO. I understand a few classic cars have also been put through this

The whole principal of the scrappage system is to stimulate car sales while limiting no of cars on the road. Only the US have given a strict critieria on the gas guzzler aspect.

Reason for killing the engine is to ensure it will never pollute again even if used in another car

Last edited by ajmat : 12th August 2009 at 09:28.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote