Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 12th August 2009, 09:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

i guess this is the automotive equivalent of putting a rabid/sick dog to sleep. sad, but for the greater good, if the circumstances are justified.

Whether it is justified - that's another thing...
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 11:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Killing a Car - US Cash for Clunker/ Euro Scrappage schemes

Read an article in the latest issue of TIME about the US CARS programme, popularly known as Cash for Clunkers.

The Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS) is a government funded programme signed into law by Obama on June 24, 2009. It allows consumers to trade-in their older less efficient vehicle and receive up to $4,500 towards a new more efficient one. A total of $1 billion dollars has been allotted towards new vehicles in this program and the CARS program will last until November 1st, 2009 or until the funding is depleted. Recently the US Senate approved a $2 Billion dollar funding bill for this programme. This could sustain the CARS program through till Labour Day/end-October 2009.

TIME magazine reported that Ford Focus is the No 1 car bought, followed by mostly Japanese cars. However, by Aug 5, Corolla had become the most bought car. The top 10 includes 4 Americans (2 Ford, 1 Chrysler, 1 GM), and 6 Asian Cars (3 Toyota, 2 Honda, and 1 Hyundai). The list is here:

TOP 10 NEW VEHICLES PURCHASED (up to 5.8.09)
1. Toyota Corolla
2. Ford Focus FWD
3. Honda Civic
4. Toyota Prius
5. Toyota Camry
6. Hyundai Elantra
7. Ford Escape FWD
8. Dodge Caliber
9. Honda Fit
10. Chevrolet Cobalt
By comparison, all the 10 top clunkers which are now going to the scrap are American cars. These cars will have sodium silicate injected into the engine in place of engine oil to destroy them forever. They will then be scavenged for any useful parts and scrap. To receive government reimbursement, auto dealers who offer rebates on new cars in exchange for so-called clunkers must agree to `kill’ the old models, using a method the government outlines in great detail in its 136-page manual for dealers: Drain the engine of oil and replace it with two quarts of a sodium-silicate solution.

TOP 10 TRADE-IN VEHICLES (up to 5.8.09)
1. Ford Explorer 4WD
2. Ford F150 Pickup 2WD
3. Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD
4. Jeep Cherokee 4WD
5. Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan 2WD
6. Ford Explorer 2WD
7. Chevrolet Blazer 4WD
8. Ford F150 Pickup 4WD
9. Chevrolet C1500 Pickup 2WD
10. Ford Windstar FWD Van

Overall, new car sales under this programme up to 5.8.09 by market share shows GM at top. As of 5.8.09, the NHTSA has received 184,304 sales to be reviewed totaling $775,200.00. Here are the stats on market share for new cars (not clunkers) released on August 5, 2009:
General Motors 18.7%
Toyota 17.9%
Ford 16.0%
Honda 11.6%
Chrysler 10.6%
Nissan 7.0%
Hyundai 6.6%
Kia 3.8%
Mazda 2.3%
Subaru 2.2%
Volkswagen 1.9%
Suzuki 0.4%
MINI 0.3%
Mitsubishi 0.3%
Smart 0.2%
Volvo 0.1%
All Other 0.1%

Last edited by vasudeva : 12th August 2009 at 11:45.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 11:51   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Two hoots? They don't care even one! I believe that this approach to the environment, along with the competition for energy with China and India in the future will prove to be the reason for WW3. Mankind has lived for too long without a major conflict, and given the dictates of human nature, one is not too far away.
Cannot agree more.

However, I guess we have already had two Petroleum Wars - Gulf War I and II (I am still to see the Bush-Blair WMD's). If some pundits are to be believed the next big one will be about Water.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 22:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

I agree that all they need to do is crush the vehicle instead of 'making sure its dead'.
If newer and more fuel efficient & less polluting vehicles ply on the roads,it'll definitely make a difference to the environment. If every country adopts this,we could potentially look at more or less stalling or slowing down the effects of pollution.
But its almost 99% certain that very few countries would adopt this policy.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 20:34   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Just surfed through a lovely website. Shows once lovely and gorgeous Mercs being junked in Kentucky, USA.
1000BenzJunkyard
We restore these cars so painstakingly, bit by bit, with so much efforts and by spending a King's ransom here in India, but can just see how these are rotting away in the US in acres and acres of space!
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 20:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Anjan,the reason is plain and simple. The number of individuals who would take the time and effort, as well as pump in a lot of money for such projects is minimal.Very few people like doing these things,and if at all, its mostly for the American classics. I know one person who's been trying to restore a 1967 Merc 250SL for the past 5-6 years,and the trouble he's been facing is tough to explain.
I wish the Govt would ship these cars to people willing to restore them,instead of mashing them up into sheets of metal.
Old 19th August 2009, 00:26   #52

Smile

Thanks Vasudeva... i had been hearing it all over the news channels but nobody could explain me better... Thanks pal for the detailed article.
speedster_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 19:35   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Anjan,the reason is plain and simple. The number of individuals who would take the time and effort, as well as pump in a lot of money for such projects is minimal.Very few people like doing these things,and if at all, its mostly for the American classics. I know one person who's been trying to restore a 1967 Merc 250SL for the past 5-6 years,and the trouble he's been facing is tough to explain.
I wish the Govt would ship these cars to people willing to restore them,instead of mashing them up into sheets of metal.
True Nitin could follow the American predicament.I wish our government takes cue and allows imports of vintage and classic cars solely for restoration here. The cars can be bought for pittances. If desired, the cars after restoration could be kept in India for domestic sale, or resold to any willing buyers abroad.
I am sure that would generate jobs for thousands of unemployed people and would earn foreign exchange.Spares fabrication industries for old car spares will also spring up and act as ancillaries to supply restorers with all the diet required for rebuilding cars. In fact, it can rival any export industry in terms of employment, business turnover, foreign exchange earnings and profits.
India can be made as a base for vintage and classic car restoration. The cheap labour will act as a catalyst.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th August 2009 at 19:50.
Old 19th August 2009, 20:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I am sure that would generate jobs for thousands of unemployed people and would earn foreign exchange.Spares fabrication industries for old car spares will also spring up and act as ancillaries to supply restorers with all the diet required for rebuilding cars. In fact, it can rival any export industry in terms of employment, business turnover, foreign exchange earnings and profits.
India can be made as a base for vintage and classic car restoration. The cheap labour will act as a catalyst.
Well said,and quite true indeed. Right now, the only work being done is by the huge machinery that crushes these cars into piles of metal.
Albeit,it would be an expensive affair to have these cars (only the roadworthy ones & the ones worth all the work) shipped anywhere. The Govt has a reason for doing this,and to them the value of a car isn't worth more than the $3-4.5k they give in return.
Old 16th October 2009, 22:43   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

UK Car Scrappage Scheme Extended and More Liberal Now

The UK's Scrappage Incentive Scheme will be boosted by a further £100 million, the Goverment has said.

It's also been announced that cars eligible for the scheme can now be six months younger than before, with the age qualification changed to include cars registered on or before 29 Feb 2000 (V registration).
The scheme will come to an end in February 2010 or when the funding runs out, which ever is sooner.
Lord Mandelson announced the new details in a speech this afternoon.
“The [motoring] sector has been strongly affected by the recession, but the scrappage scheme has delivered a boost to manufacturers and the supply chain. We have listened to the concerns of manufacturers and are increasing the funding of the scheme to £400m.

Car sales, which were boosted by the scheme's introduction earlier this year remain fragile.
So far 227,750 orders have been placed through the scheme. The increased funding enables the scheme to fund a further 100,000 vehicles, bringing total budget to £400 million and covering up to 400,000 vehicles in total.
The extension continues as a Government and manufacturer partnership, with matched funding providing the £2,000 discount for each scrappage order.

It's believed the decision to extend the plan, in which the government pays half the cost, and relies on industry to provide the remainder, is being supported by all the major car makers.
However with almost two thirds of the money already spent, it had been feared that the scheme would run out of cash much earlier than planned.
Changes are also set to offer a lifeline to van drivers. Alongside the increased funding the Government will extend the benefits to van owners with vehicles over 8 years old rather than the current 10 year requirement.

Source Auto Express UK