Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 8th June 2005, 20:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default More Grim news from GM

Read thru the following posts. GM is in real deep trouble.

GM to slash 25,000 jobs

Revenues and Profits made by different companies per car sold

GM braces for Shareholders gripes
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 22:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The good news is that GM Asia Pacific is doing good.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 03:57   #3

i read in autocar may issue that even ford was in real deep ****
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 04:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i read in autocar may issue that even ford was in real deep ****
Yea they are. here in north America, the hot debate is on who will go under first - Ford or GM. Most people say Ford will go under first but at least Ford makes a profit of $620 per car they sell. GM sells each car at a loss of $2311!
Frankly, I am not surprised on GM's troubles. The car's they have made in the recent past have been downright pathetic. The new ones like Pursuit , G6 and the Vibe (Essentially a Toyota Matrix. It even has Toyota's 1.8L VVT-I engine!) are nice but it's a case of too little too late. Still the build quality on GM cars disappoints me. We had a brand new G6 in the showroom and the Pontiac logo was already loose!There is a huge gap between the headlights and bumper in the Cadilac CTS! heck even a Golf that costs probably 1/10 of the Caddy is better built. Why even consider European cars. Japanese cars are better built then American ones. I was shocked at the panel gaps in cars like Grand Prix. I can even accept big panel gaps but at least they should be even on all sides!
Old 9th June 2005, 04:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to put this down in my last post.
The build quality of my Palio is a zillion times better then what I see on G6's and Grand Prix's. And these cars cost from $25 to 40K!

Last edited by amit : 9th June 2005 at 04:59.
Old 9th June 2005, 09:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hasn't GM lost its No.1 postition to Toyota?
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 11:50   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hasn't GM lost its No.1 postition to Toyota?
Not in terms of number of sales. Period. But in terms of profitability, Toyota makes more than Ford, GM and Chrysler combined.

Also consider that GM and Ford add all their bought over brands (Jaguar etc.) to the total sales tally. As far as I know, Toyota only counts itself and Lexus.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 12:09   #8
BHPian

They have got to stop paying the medical bills of the grand dads of GM. A 100 year old Ex-GM worker's medical bills will be ridiculously high, whereas Honda America, and Toyota America do not have such stupid deals.

Every GM car has $1500 medical + benifit cost associated with it. Its a shame that a pioneer in the auto industry is in this shape. And there seems to be no hope, without some sacrifices. They need to sell some auto plants to Tatas and the Chinese, get some cash and reinvent the company. Just like the 6 year long project undertaken by Nissan, to put themselves back on track.
-Prasadee
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 13:59   #9
BHPian

Even i was suprised to know that GM will be cutting so many jobs. Considering that Ford is in trouble too, how bright is Ford's future in India??
What about Fiat?? They recently launched new model for Petra. Are these good signs??
Is buying japanese or korean cars the safest bet????
Sush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 15:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee
Every GM car has $1500 medical + benifit cost associated with it. Its a shame that a pioneer in the auto industry is in this shape.
In this highly competetive market, I really do not know how companies like GM are doing this. LOW COST, GOOD QUALITY has become the mantra of the day. Less hope if this sort of policies are in place.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 18:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

The US Automakers are dying for one simple reason. The Auto Unions. They would make our Kerala/WB unions look like management's best friend.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote