Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2009, 16:57   #1
BHPian
 
anilkalvani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bandra West, Bombay
Posts: 628
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Will this concept ever come to India? (Trackdays with your choice of Exotics for $$)

A cousin of mine was in California for a week and along with a couple of friends he went to this place where you can drive any 5 dream cars the whole day for $1,700. Neat!

Will this concept ever come to India? (Trackdays with your choice of Exotics for $$)-auto-entertainment.jpg
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 18:21   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Don't think so. Why?

Here is the reason:
  1. Not sufficient market
  2. Price will be prohibitive
  3. I don't think anybody will insure cars like this thereby posing a big problem if car crashes.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 18:27   #3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 595 Times
Default

ah, the super car clubs!!

well the yatch club is here and the airplane business jet club is here, so why not the super car club!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 18:49   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
ah, the super car clubs!!

well the yatch club is here and the airplane business jet club is here, so why not the super car club!
The consumer segment that would be the Target Market for these clubs, can already go abroad to take part in these things at a fraction of cost what these would cost in India. So doesn't make business sense.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 19:57   #5
BHPian
 
Whiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Don't really think so!!! Can anyone throw light on what would be the set of cars, if it were to launch?
Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 19:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

That's a LOT of money. I think ajmat has a thread put up about his trackday experience in the UK. I'm sure they have different programs at various price points, anyhow.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 15:13   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

I had tried to put something like this together but it was not feasable. I had spoken to a british company that does something like this and were keen on venturing into India. The government athorities not co-operating for the land (but yes they did want their share), The cost of getting the cars in and maintaining them too high. The membership for the club was not exactly on the mid range but would be high. Insurance companies were aprehensive to insure the cars. Some refused to do so completly and other wanted the sky as the premium.
I also wanted to have a per hr basis thing for people who wanted to bring their own cars and burn rubber on the track. In India people would count their pennies and would not work here.

Last edited by speedy : 15th June 2009 at 15:16.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 16:25   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 22,606 Times
Default

Will it ever happen in India?

Well maybe it already has!


Maybe it isn't exactly what you have described, and sure, its "by invite only" but you can pretty much ask someone whos invited to get you invited if you're willing to put the money down. Also, its not as much a "track event" as the one you've highlighted, but atleast its a start....

porsche world roadshow site:team-bhp.com - Google Search

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 21:07   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Will it ever happen in India?

Well maybe it already has!


Maybe it isn't exactly what you have described, and sure, its "by invite only" but you can pretty much ask someone whos invited to get you invited if you're willing to put the money down. Also, its not as much a "track event" as the one you've highlighted, but atleast its a start....

porsche world roadshow site:team-bhp.com - Google Search

cya
R
Rehaan this is only a porsche road show for prospective clients who can only drive porsche cars. The venue that is Amby Valley is also not a perminent track where you can take your car down for a good run. What we are talking of is a multiple choice of cars that you can hire or bring your own car and a perminent venue to do this.

Last edited by speedy : 15th June 2009 at 21:08.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 01:24   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Ha, you're kidding right?! Look at the response to track days on TBHP itself, which is supposedly a forum for automotive enthusiasts. We have some of the cheapest track rates in the world -- pay and practise at 20 USD for a day at an F3 track -- yet responses are dismal. What do you expect from the rest of India?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 17:48   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 22,606 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Rehaan this is only a porsche road show for prospective clients who can only drive porsche cars. The venue that is Amby Valley is also not a perminent track where you can take your car down for a good run. What we are talking of is a multiple choice of cars that you can hire or bring your own car and a perminent venue to do this.
Speedy,

I know what the PWRS is about, and as i have implied in my post, it is the closest thing we have to a "rent a supercar track day" here in India at the moment.

The way i see it :
- Get invited
- Pay 25k (as it was this year, 15k(?) last year - ie if you're required to pay)
- Get to sample most of the Porsche range (on the Aamby airstrip, timed slaloms etc) and then some runs on the roads around aamby valley.

Not too terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Ha, you're kidding right?! Look at the response to track days on TBHP itself, which is supposedly a forum for automotive enthusiasts. We have some of the cheapest track rates in the world -- pay and practise at 20 USD for a day at an F3 track -- yet responses are dismal. What do you expect from the rest of India?
Hmmm. Well i think you are comparing two things that are made up of essentially the same components, but yet are quite different.

Though for Rs 80,000+ for just one day (on 1 of the tracks in India), I'm not sure how many takers there would be....

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th June 2009 at 17:50.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 22:37   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hmmm. Well i think you are comparing two things that are made up of essentially the same components, but yet are quite different
In essence, you are offered the chance to drive machinery that, for one reason or another, you would normally never get the chance to touch. At an MMSC Time Attack, you can rent out any of the formula cars, or a race Esteem, which is saying quite a bit for the knockdown rates they offer(ed).
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rideapart Article: Why your next bike may come from India Ironhide Motorbikes 0 29th January 2014 13:25
Have you ever played full volume of your ICE? Ever?? xingamazon In-Car Entertainment 27 5th January 2011 02:41
My voice broke! I canít sing anymore. Will it ever come back? sidindica Shifting gears 1 17th July 2010 03:06
Question for all you in India with exotics Raj2010 The Indian Car Scene 0 6th December 2009 06:04
trackdays in india..... jai-uno-t Indian Motorsport 6 30th May 2009 18:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:23.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks