Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 26th June 2004, 13:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rehaan

Hehe, after the stunning S2000 drive, 9000 rpm seems de-rigeur for performance cars for you .

But still 8250 is far higher than any of the other sedans currently available. And the SMG would be faster than standard shifts from a manual judging by the latest developments in auto and SMG boxes. But rumour mills are abound, and it looks certain, that BMW with its M division history of manuals will come out with a manual 7 speed. The only problem is, expect it to come atleast 6 months to a year after the SMG version. Also by then BMW would have completely de-bugged the car.

Also if i predict right, the 5.5 litre, 550 bhp engine would go into the M5 at some point in time when its rivals play catch since the next gen M5 is expected only in 2009-10 and the intervening period of 5-6 years is a lot for the others to play catch.

Till then its time for the E60 M5 to bask in its newfound glory.

Cheers to the M-team.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2004, 02:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys some more info here on the M5

Another new feature is the M5?s power button. At start up, the driver is given access to 400 hp in a default program, dubbed P400. Depressing the button unleashes P500 and the engine?s full 507 hp wallop along with a more responsive throttle. In P500 BMW says the new car will hit 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and its 155 mph top speed in 14.9 sec. With its speed-limiting chip removed, BMW says its new sedan will reach 205 mph, although company policy prohibits official modification, even at the dealer level.

Read something more here

M5 board

Revv

P.S. It said 8250 red line before, but now full power is delivered at 7750 rpm??? Can't help but wait till the car is finally out to know WTH is the right spec.
Old 3rd July 2004, 03:24   #18
Team-BHP Support

As i had pointed out earlier-

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]One thing i found strange though is that peak power comes at 8,250RPM but so does the redline ?!?!..
So having peak power @7750 and redline @8250 makes more sense now!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2004, 17:35   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Heres a very interesting first drive report by Edmunds sent to me by a friend.

Edmunds BMW M5 Drive

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2004, 21:20   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Revvmaster @ Mar. 05 2004,23:56)]GTO, surely, given the choice between the old and the new M5, i'd still pick the old one.

Thats not what it sounded like to me two nights ago after you read the edmunds review

So to get back to the gearbox issue.
The 7spd SMG.... looks pretty nice... im no fan of any transmission that doesnt let you have 100% control, but i guess in a beast like the E60 M5 it is neccessary.

However, the plans for the manual seem to have gone down the drain...sadly.
Apparently theres close to no possibility of a 7 speed manual due to the placement of the cogs in the gearbox.
But, even otherwise, chances of a manual seem rather slim... quite a bummer....but im still not complaining because this car seems to be just insane!.... i wonder what its priced like?

cya
R

ps - lol...i happen to have the log of that conversation!! here is a confused and amazed Revv -
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ][01:18] Revvmaster says: i mean how much more amazing can it be.... (curseword) (curseword) (curseword).... thats it, i no longer like the E39... no i do, but the E60 takes it to such a different plane that the e39 now feels like its from a bygone era

Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2004, 21:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

(curseword)(curseword)(curseword)... hahahha... helll i still am in a delusionary mode right now. How does this sound? The car can shift into 7th as low as 1000 rpm? What the hell did the M-division just create? The greatest NA Engined monster ever??? You bet!

GTO, 2 nights back when i first read the Edmunds report, i initially expected, ok they'll say its fast... but this frighteningly fast.?? IMO, anyone who needs to buy just one car that is fast, and only will keep that car, no other, needs to buy an M5. Look at it this way, on a saturday night out with family, the halo emerges when you go for a nice quiet dinner. But kick down to sunday morning and devil's horns untangle that halo and you are now officially in wicked mode. Shouldn't that PS500 button have a disclaimer stating "you should be completely aware of what you are about to do, repercussions of which are highly damaging".

I think so.

Lol

Revvmaster
Old 10th September 2004, 22:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Revvmaster @ Sep. 11 2004,01:12)]What the hell did the M-division just create? The greatest NA Engined monster ever??? You bet!
You are forgetting the greatest of them all!!! the 626 bhp beast in the McLaren F1!!!!!! But then again it was made by the M Division so...............

About this car, it has 509 bhp, only a 7-speed sequential gearbox as variant. and it just completely MIND-BLWING!!!!! The biggest problem however is, BMW has just made a complete mess of the current line-up for all car manufacturers including themselves.

Think about it this way, the M6 will have pretty much the same engine. Therefore the M6 would go directly into Z8 territory. And since, the Z8 is the flagship model for BMW, whenever they are going to update it they would have to make it around 550-600 hp which brings in bang into Supercar territory with its amazing handling which BMW's are known for and its 50-50 weight distribution.

For other companies like Merc its a much bigger dillemma since they will now have to revise everything. Agreed the CLS55 is brought out to compete with the M5 but for it to even come close it will need a minimum of 500 hp with its weight, but doing that will bring it back above SL55 territory which will just ruin its entire set-up
GrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2004, 22:39   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Revv, The way you speak of BMWs (especially the M line)...you almost get poetic man!!! especially the convo that Rehaan produced.

Heres wishing you a CSL

GTO
Old 11th September 2004, 02:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Revv, The way you speak of BMWs (especially the M line)...you almost get poetic man!!!
hahaha... maybe the work they do really gets the best outta me (or worst)!!...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Heres wishing you a CSL
Gee... thanx pal. You definitely will get the first ride in it. Swear!

Revv
Old 11th September 2004, 02:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] And since, the Z8 is the flagship model for BMW, whenever they are going to update it they would have to make it around 550-600 hp
Hey Grim, make that was. In 2003 May when BMW discontinued the E39 M5, it also discontinued the Z8. The next gen Z8 is expected only in 2006-07. But it will be a proper supecar, aiming more at the McLaren SLR rather than the CL55 or CL65. Merc better watch out!

Revv

Old 11th September 2004, 03:04   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I hope its a proper supercar. From the group of Enzos, CGT;s and SLRs...BMW has been sorely missed out

GTO
Old 14th September 2004, 12:54   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Heres another first drive from Canadian Driver.

Canadian Driver M5

GTO
Old 14th September 2004, 23:52   #28
BHPian

This is what I found, I dont think its very accurate, but it is something to look at for the super car everyone has been waiting for from BMW..Z10

V10, 600 hp, 310+ km/h... they are targeting for end of 2007.

and another one I saw was a z4 based M...

I dont know if this is it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Perhaps the most interesting news of this Germanic trio, it seems BMW is working on a replacement for the funky-looking M3 Coupe.

Even more interesting, however, is the name change that is rumoured to occur. You can forget getting mixed up with the M3 from the 3-series and M3 Couple from the Z-series, as BMW insiders are calling the new model the Z5.

From the "clothes off" shot you can see that the Z5 has a slight resemblance to the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10. Is it a coincidence that BMW's new head of design is Chris Bangle, an American?

The new look is a similar in profile (side-on) to the upcoming BMW Z4, yet the front-end of the Z5 is quite different, going for a less 'bulgy' and more angular look.

The two-door coupe is currently in the testing phase, as you can tell from the black disguises used on photos 2 and 3. No word on a release date as yet, but surprisingly, word is it will emerge sooner rather than later.

Sharing components of the upcoming Z4, the Z5 is also likely to borrow many elements from the X Coupé concept, such as tail lights.

Furthermore, the next generation coupe is expected to be one of these ultra-light performance cars, somewhat similar to a Lotus Elise, for instance. As such, we can expect seminal handling and feedback from this rear-wheel driver.

Sure, it won't come close to the Elise's mind-boggling 710kg mass, but in using aluminium, and even kevlar for areas such as the door panels, boot and bonnet, the new Beemer is expected to weigh in at around 1000kg.

While you may be wondering why this is such a big deal, considering your average Honda Civic weighs only a few kilos more, how many Civic's boast a power output of 164kW? Well, admittedly the Civic Type R does come close...

The 164kW figure will arrive courtesy of a 3.0-litre BMW mill, an inline six-cylinder to be exact. More interesting, however, is the speculation that the BMW M5's engine will be transplanted into the Z5's spacious engine bay.

This would make for a seriously fast rear-wheel drive coupe, as this 5.0-litre V8 engine is highly tuned for a rather tasty 298kW @ 6600rpm. Likewise, 500Nm of torque is quite a bit of twist, and you can bet there'll be a fair amount of Formula One technology in there as well.
source:germancarfans.com & webwombat.com.au

_Crazi4Speed_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2004, 00:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

I see some inspiration from BMs biplanes(WWI) and Focke Wulf 190s that they produced during WWII.

IMO, the 2nd pic of the car makes it look real good. Typical muscular aggresiveness from a BMW car.

The Z5 you talk about has been talked about now for quite sometime. I remember reading about it a year back, but I havent heard since. The pics are of the car under test in South Africa. Who its competition might be is hard to tell as of now, but I am looking at it being a TVR Speed 6 competitor at best given the specs. Can't comment on the looks till some definite news on it comes in.

Revv
Old 15th September 2004, 01:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey M boys

The review that counts the most. Nearly.

Autocar review of the M5

Revvmaster