Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 1st September 2009, 23:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Porsche Panamera, Cayenne to be axed in wake of VW takeover

Came across this news. Cayenne was the only SUV that managed to handle well. X5 comes close, but porsche is porshce and cayenne's handling is reputed to be good.

Source : Porsche Panamera, Cayenne to be axed in wake of VW takeover - Worldcarfans

Article :
Quote:
The Porsche-Volkswagen merger keeps getting weirder, as a new report from Car Magazine indicates that VW will kill off the Cayenne and Panamera.

While the models would likely survive until 2016, it appears VW's Chairman, Ferdinand Pich, wants Porsche to focus on sports cars instead of doing a little bit of everything. In a rather ironic turn of events, Pich will effectively kill off the models spearheaded by ousted Porsche boss Wendelin Wiedeking. As you may recall, Wiedeking was one of the masterminds behind Porsche's failed attempt to takeover Volkswagen.

Despite having mixed feelings about the Cayenne, it's undeniable that the sport-ute was a huge money maker for Porsche. This makes a possible death sentence a little questionable, especially since Pich wants to double Porsche sales in four years.

To accomplish this goal, Volkswagen will likely develop a shared platform that would underpin a new entry-level Porsche as well as a sporty new VW or Audi (Bluesport Concept or next generation TT / new R4). There is even talk of a new Carrera GT successor, but questions have been raised about VW's willingness to let it compete with Lamborghini, Bugatti and Audi (the R8 V10 specifically).
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

ya, i have read it too. but i think after 7 years, they won't be axed because the cayenne is an important car for porsche. maybe it will be something like the same car (cayenne & tourag), just a change on the outer shell, a very common feature among american brands.

as far as the pan. is concerned i have no idea!!!
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 01:47   #3
BANNED

Yeah Right!! I would love to see VW actually do something this stupid!! HAAH!! Who are they fooling?
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 01:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
ya, i have read it too. but i think after 7 years, they won't be axed because the cayenne is an important car for porsche.
Yeah. 7 years is a loooong time. For all we know Ratan Tata might own Porsche by then !

Hope they launch a GT successor though. Loved the look of that car.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

Porsche needed these two to survive on its own. As part of VW, they could be dropped to keep the Porsche brand more pure. However if they are making money, anything could happen
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote