Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 23rd September 2009, 15:06   #1
BHPian

Cool Uber Rich or Celebrity status ? How to own a Supercar.

Hi Guys , i was just watching a video on youtube about the reventon roadster and a thought struck my mind.Since such cars ( Read Top-Of-The-Line, Limited numbers )are built only a handfull Ex: Reventon , 50 No.s only , how in the world can we own one inspite of having enough cash to purchase one. I had read somewhere that the owner for these cars are all handpicked. Even if you have enough money to purchase 20 of Reventons , you may not end up owning even one .
So my question to you guys is , Does somebody knows what is the criteria that the oqner needs to possess to own these stealing beauties and raw beasts.

PS: I am not planning to buy any of these but sure would like to know just for the future.
@400Kph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good point. I know Ferrari gives preference to those who are in their "pay to drive an F1 car" program (dunno what its actually called). Not sure about the others.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Good point. I know Ferrari gives preference to those who are in their "pay to drive an F1 car" program (dunno what its actually called). Not sure about the others.
Yeah. I think the criteria for an Enzo was that the buyer had to be an existing ferrari customer or some such.

Other that that, I think an ability+willingness to pay stratospheric prices for a car is the main criteria

Last edited by gomzi : 23rd September 2009 at 20:33.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Yeah. I think the criteria for an Enzo was that the buyer had to be an existing ferrari customer or some such.

Other that that, I think an ability+willingness to pay stratospheric prices for a car is the main criteria
But that is exactly my point for opening this topic.Even if you have enough money or more than enough money you may not necessarily end up owning one. So it has to be something more than money , like you mentioned above in case of enzo.
@400Kph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:51   #5
BHPian

The Italians are the one that started this tradition, you cannot choose to buy the car, you had to be chosen to own one.

A couple of Model's that come into my mind are Enzo, F50, F40 (the anniversary edition Ferrari's), Mclaren F1. Done to create the niche market with access to a very few.

In case of Enzo, it is rumored that you need to have owned a Ferrari before with an excellent track record of car Maintainence. They also check with you Social reputation and run your names through the crime records (Not sure how far this is true though)

But this is ok, in comparison to the Alfa Romeo's and Ferrari's way back in time who started the trend.
They would invite the would be owner of an exquisite car home for dinner, analyse the table manners and then decide if that person was worthy of the car... Amazing!
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 13:17   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's common knowledge that Luca's philosophy has always been to build one Ferrari less than the market demand. It helps to maintain the want & exclusivity for the prancing horse. The diametric opposite is Porsche (who build equally amazing cars BTW) who will build as many Porsches as the market wants, and then some more, and then create fresh demand via 4 door sedans & SUVs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
Since such cars ( Read Top-Of-The-Line, Limited numbers )are built only a handfull Ex: Reventon , 50 No.s only , how in the world can we own one inspite of having enough cash to purchase one.
Limited editions of existing cars can be had by anyone who is willing to pay the insane premium (on an already expensive supercar) for bragging rights ("only 50 made").

This is way different from the limited production numbers of truly special cars (not limited editions, rather limited cars itself). Like the F40 or the Enzo. The chances of getting one of these is directly proportional to your fame (celebrity etc.).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 13:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Ya sounded like an economics grad are ya by any chance one?
Unknownsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 15:06   #8
BHPian

I dont think there's any such criteria existing in this market, its purely money driven, if you get into the booking list timely then you get it, else not.
As far as limited editions are concerned, their bookings are normally announced first to the handful loyalists and then to others, which is quite obvious. People like Sultan of Brunei or Sheikh of Dubai are listed on top priority obviously due to their loyalty+image+capacity+spirit, rather than a bollywood A-lister (this is only for the LE models).
@ Ecks: need your valuable inputs here.
AltoHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 16:24   #9
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's common knowledge that Luca's philosophy has always been to build one Ferrari less than the market demand. It helps to maintain the want & exclusivity for the prancing horse. The diametric opposite is Porsche (who build equally amazing cars BTW) who will build as many Porsches as the market wants, and then some more, and then create fresh demand via 4 door sedans & SUVs!

Limited editions of existing cars can be had by anyone who is willing to pay the insane premium (on an already expensive supercar) for bragging rights ("only 50 made").

This is way different from the limited production numbers of truly special cars (not limited editions, rather limited cars itself). Like the F40 or the Enzo. The chances of getting one of these is directly proportional to your fame (celebrity etc.).
Exactly.

But then again i was reading this article in HT about 2 years ago that was talking about how Lamborghini and Bentley customers are "handpicked".
Now stuff like that is pure BS.

Yes the loyal customers are given a priority on the waiting list but thats about it.
v10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
Exactly.

But then again i was reading this article in HT about 2 years ago that was talking about how Lamborghini and Bentley customers are "handpicked".
Now stuff like that is pure BS.

Yes the loyal customers are given a priority on the waiting list but thats about it.
and all that goes bust as soon as the said car reaches the used car section. like in auction houses. thats where most of these super rare cars get sold. Now here the management of lambo/bentley (and the like) don't have any say about who buys it.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:03   #11
BHPian

I too heard about Ferrari's requirement that a prospective Enzo buyer must have been a prior Ferrari owner, but then I looked at the list of Enzo owners and it lists one Mr. Anil XXXXX, the IIT grad who started one of the first online poker websites and became a billionaire in 2 years. There were other people like him who are tech industry billionaires ergo poor geeks turned rich due to tech. So its probably a lil bit of money and lil bit of reputation.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 12:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
They also checks with you Social reputation and run your names through the crime records (Not sure how far this is true though)
As far as Social Reputation is concerned I doubt it. Look for millionaire mafia Stefan Erikkson who was owns/owned an Enzo and was involved in an Enzo crash.
ir458 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 13:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

IIRC when Tata Estate was launched it was not sold to everyone, they were checking your properties before selling .....
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 14:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why supercars?

Try buying a Nano. Bloody thing costs a lakh and is harder to own.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote