Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2009, 17:12   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default The SuperCars Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
NOT ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH?? im sure you have broken many hearts by saying that!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post
Ferrari is coming to India next year bro, so yeah, may be that as well. Its just that I really don't find the 458 attractive.



Suhaas, I am a college going final year student, so all cars are not for my use. I have the M3 and the LP for me, the Audi is my brother's car and the 7 is moms and the Bentley/phantom is dad's car.

The M3 is my dd, the LP a weekend warrior. Whatever we buy next will be an addition to the stable and not necessarily for a specific purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I'm another who isn't too convinced by the look of the 458. It's not bad looking, but it certainly isn't beautiful either, like most Ferraris of the last decade.
Wow! You're very lucky. Looks like good taste runs in the family

Yes. I think Ferrari stopped building beautiful cars ever since the F355 went out of production. All the models that followed the F355 just manage to command lots of street presence. Modern Ferraris look like they've been designed for the sole purpose of shouting out that you're driving a Ferrari. Sorry, I might have offended plenty of Ferrari lovers here but that's just my opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Ecks when do you plan to write details about your time with the Porsche? You said you will write a separate thread to this effect. It will be great help to me and the team. Thanks in advance.
Yeah Ecks, I will be waiting for that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Ecks,have you ever considered the following two to be your stable mate next?

1)2010 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
I don't think the Porsche 911 GT3 cup is street legal. It's strictly, a track day car.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:43   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default The Supercars Discussion Thread

The more I look at the SLS, the more I'm liking it. Looks great actually. Will surely stop people in their tracks when you go by. I'm sure that it would be great to drive. Mercedes just doesn't give conventional manual transmissions these days, and that's a pity! Wonder if you can get it ordered in a manual tranny. Would love to see what Brabus would do to the SLS once they get a hold of it. Those guys can work some stupendous magic on Mercs.

I adore those side stacked exhaust exits like on the SLR and the SLR Stirling Moss edition. Wonder why they gave it a skip on the SLS(?)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd September 2009 at 15:54.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 05:03   #3
BHPian
 
suped99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: HyderabaD,NC
Posts: 184
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Yes. I think Ferrari stopped building beautiful cars ever since the F355 went out of production. All the models that followed the F355 just manage to command lots of street presence. Modern Ferraris look like they've been designed for the sole purpose of shouting out that you're driving a Ferrari. Sorry, I might have offended plenty of Ferrari lovers here but that's just my opinion..
Bro its really nice to have read your opinion but dont you think the F355 looks dated now?I know it was an amazing car but times have changed and Ferrari cannot stick with the same designs,nor did most of the companys like mercedez,bmw,jaguar etc. I guess you like Old cars as in cars which are a decade old more than present cars,and thats probably why your a die hard fan of Porsches as most of them still look like the same,except for the fact their technologically advanced in my opinion* . It sure does take time to adapt to changes! Not trying to offend you in any way dude nor dont want to start an argument,i have read alot of your posts and quete aware of your expertise when it comes to Porsches.

Last edited by suped99 : 24th September 2009 at 05:04.
suped99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 13:02   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suped99 View Post
Bro its really nice to have read your opinion but dont you think the F355 looks dated now?I know it was an amazing car but times have changed and Ferrari cannot stick with the same designs,nor did most of the companys like mercedez,bmw,jaguar etc. I guess you like Old cars as in cars which are a decade old more than present cars,and thats probably why your a die hard fan of Porsches as most of them still look like the same,except for the fact their technologically advanced in my opinion* . It sure does take time to adapt to changes! Not trying to offend you in any way dude nor dont want to start an argument,i have read alot of your posts and quete aware of your expertise when it comes to Porsches.

Very nice observation there suped99! No offense taken, not to worry! Yes I am afraid the F355 is dated now. Yes, I am a die hard Porsche fan and yes, I prefer classic metal. But a Supercar manufacturer can still make their new generation cars look brilliant!

Look at all the new Lamborghinis for example. The Miura was and still is a beautiful car, but Lamborghini's new supercars are pretty good looking as well. They have managed to hold on to their tradition over the years and they make stupendous metal!

Aston Martin too! The DB5 is a gorgeous sports car and so is the new DB9 and the DBS and the Vantage.

Look at earlier Corvettes. They look mean enough to make you weep and the same goes for the new ZR1.

So, if these cars can look good even after decades, I'm sure Ferrari can come up with something brilliant looking if they try!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th September 2009 at 13:10.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 14:42   #5
BHPian
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 933
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Very nice observation there suped99! No offense taken, not to worry! Yes I am afraid the F355 is dated now. Yes, I am a die hard Porsche fan and yes, I prefer classic metal. But a Supercar manufacturer can still make their new generation cars look brilliant!

Look at all the new Lamborghinis for example. The Miura was and still is a beautiful car, but Lamborghini's new supercars are pretty good looking as well. They have managed to hold on to their tradition over the years and they make stupendous metal!

Aston Martin too! The DB5 is a gorgeous sports car and so is the new DB9 and the DBS and the Vantage.

Look at earlier Corvettes. They look mean enough to make you weep and the same goes for the new ZR1.

So, if these cars can look good even after decades, I'm sure Ferrari can come up with something brilliant looking if they try!
Hi suhas, What exactly do you feel not good about the newer ferrari's. And to understand your philosophy on good design, which of the newer super cars do you feel is of brilliant design. I guess you are looking for a more traditional look than the radical new and bold designs. would you agree if the ferrari was to re-launch the dino or the 365 GTB or are you expecting a more futuristic space-age looks for the newer ferraris a la lambhorghini. What is your defenition of brilliant design. To me now when i look at the newer cars in the indian market, spare a few, i still find the amby and the fiat were much more good looking, but then design evolves over time and the evolution is more towards sleeker cars with more straighter lines and subtle curves and there is only so much one can do with these basic design concepts. Would love to see your point of view on what should the next ferrari look that would make you say that it is a great design. Are u suggesting emphasis on more curves, or emphasis on more sleeker, straighter line approach or something really radical in terms of the overall look. You might say that the AM DB9,SLR or the maser design is brilliant but then these are again using the same philosophies and little tweaks here and there on the lights , grills, flared arches, spoilers, great set of alloys etc..etc..but I find the newer ferraris also pretty much appealing . Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so wanted to know what is your take on a beautiful looking car.
Rotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 15:34   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Hi suhas, What exactly do you feel not good about the newer ferrari's. And to understand your philosophy on good design, which of the newer super cars do you feel is of brilliant design. I guess you are looking for a more traditional look than the radical new and bold designs. would you agree if the ferrari was to re-launch the dino or the 365 GTB or are you expecting a more futuristic space-age looks for the newer ferraris a la lambhorghini. What is your defenition of brilliant design. To me now when i look at the newer cars in the indian market, spare a few, i still find the amby and the fiat were much more good looking, but then design evolves over time and the evolution is more towards sleeker cars with more straighter lines and subtle curves and there is only so much one can do with these basic design concepts. Would love to see your point of view on what should the next ferrari look that would make you say that it is a great design. Are u suggesting emphasis on more curves, or emphasis on more sleeker, straighter line approach or something really radical in terms of the overall look. You might say that the AM DB9,SLR or the maser design is brilliant but then these are again using the same philosophies and little tweaks here and there on the lights , grills, flared arches, spoilers, great set of alloys etc..etc..but I find the newer ferraris also pretty much appealing . Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so wanted to know what is your take on a beautiful looking car.

First of all, Sorry Ecks for spamming your thread.

My take on beautiful cars is not something many would appreciate. I like the traditional and exquisite lines of the classic Miura. The fat hipped 911s of yore are very appealing to me and so is the 356 Speedster. I particularly love the Ferrari 250 GT SWB and the Daytona. The Jag E-type is gorgeous as well and so is the DB5. These are classic cars and they look brilliant. And that goes without saying!

I love some modern cars as well and the way they look. All new the Aston Martins look fantastic and so do Jaguars. I don't think the new Lamborghinis are beautiful or gorgeous, but they are definitely striking and good looking in their own way. They look brash and purposeful and I like that character in sports cars. Lamborghini have always been striking and brash and that's what makes it a Lamborghini (save for a few).

The thing about Ferrari is that they haven't evolved and at the same time, stuck to a particular design theme like the way Aston Martin, Porsche or Lamborghini have. I deeply miss the fantastic 4 set brake lights on new Ferraris and lots of other design elements as well. The new breed of Ferraris don't look as appealing as the classic ones. Instead, they try pretty hard to stand out and shout out so that they can make their presence on the road. Ferraris were never like that. They didn't have to make it obvious to the world that it's an iconic and epic Sports Car brand. Thew new California has tried changing that a bit but in vain. The Scaglietti doesn't look that great either. The 599 GTB Fiorano is definitely a striking car but somehow, beautiful or gorgeous is not the word I'd use to describe its looks. I'd love to see a re-make of the Dino or the 365 GTB.

All I'm saying is, one doesn't have to change the basic design elements drastically. Ferrari has and they might look good in their own way, but IMO, they just manage to command huge street presence more than anything else.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 15:59   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Lamborghini's flagship cars, the Countach, the Diablo and the Murcielago have stuck to a design theme (the Scissor doors and the rakish appeal) Aston Martins have their traditional and Iconic grille. Porsche's flagship, the 911, still has the classic coke-bottle design and flared wheel arches. Yet, all of them have evolved in some way or another.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 00:15   #8
BHPian
 
suped99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: HyderabaD,NC
Posts: 184
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Lamborghini's flagship cars, the Countach, the Diablo and the Murcielago have stuck to a design theme (the Scissor doors and the rakish appeal) Aston Martins have their traditional and Iconic grille. Porsche's flagship, the 911, still has the classic coke-bottle design and flared wheel arches. Yet, all of them have evolved in some way or another.
Bro its nice to know you have taken my opinion in a positive way,thanks!
But If you ask me the Lambhorghinis have always been Loud with those space ship like designs and florescent colors they are known for,the lambho green,yellow, orange and blue for example.They shout out loud saying "LOOK IAM HERE, IAM A SUPERCAR WITH A BIG ENGINE & I LOOK LIKE A SPACE SHIP" in my opinion, LOL! whereas the Ferraris are suttle and calm ,most of them are, except for the Enzo or the FXX IMO. They dont even have flashy colors, now you cant say the Rosso Corsa is loud as it would be quiete an insult for the Ferrari tradition lol.
Its not that i dislike the space ship looks of the Lambho's,iam just saying its loud,well you might be telling me now that a super/hyper car is suppose to be loud and bonkers with the design,i know that but iam trying to make a point here and iam sure you will get that.
I would always prefer a Ferrari over a Lambho as the Ferrari was made to Race and has that history, the lambhos were just Tractor Manufacturers who made a supercar in HOPEs of outbeating the Ferrari and thats universal fact you know. Iam a die Fan of Ferrari the same way you are of Porsche. was nice talking to you man and reading your reply,glad your matured enough to not take my comments in any offense!
suped99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 21:04   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suped99 View Post
Bro its nice to know you have taken my opinion in a positive way,thanks!
But If you ask me the Lambhorghinis have always been Loud with those space ship like designs and florescent colors they are known for,the lambho green,yellow, orange and blue for example.They shout out loud saying "LOOK IAM HERE, IAM A SUPERCAR WITH A BIG ENGINE & I LOOK LIKE A SPACE SHIP" in my opinion, LOL! whereas the Ferraris are suttle and calm ,most of them are, except for the Enzo or the FXX IMO. They dont even have flashy colors, now you cant say the Rosso Corsa is loud as it would be quiete an insult for the Ferrari tradition lol.
Its not that i dislike the space ship looks of the Lambho's,iam just saying its loud,well you might be telling me now that a super/hyper car is suppose to be loud and bonkers with the design,i know that but iam trying to make a point here and iam sure you will get that.
I would always prefer a Ferrari over a Lambho as the Ferrari was made to Race and has that history, the lambhos were just Tractor Manufacturers who made a supercar in HOPEs of outbeating the Ferrari and thats universal fact you know. Iam a die Fan of Ferrari the same way you are of Porsche. was nice talking to you man and reading your reply,glad your matured enough to not take my comments in any offense!

I'm not comparing the 'loud' factor of Ferrari's to that of Lamborghinis. Lamborghinis have always been loud and they will continue to be. Just the way Jaguars and Aston Martins are gorgeous and Ferraris are (or at least they were IMO) subtle yet stylish. My question is, why do Ferrari's have to change their traditional styling cues for the sake of added performance and precision? That takes away the charm of a Ferrari all together. That would be the point I'm trying to get across.

Yes, I know, pop-up-lights are now passe and we saw them last on the Corvette, perhaps. Even the 'Vettes have changed! But the continuity in design has remained. Not so with Ferrari. The 360 Modena started this new 'reformed' trend. With intake pods strewn all over the body work and the frankly odd silhouette. The Enzo was and still is a disappointment in the looks department IMO. Ferrari have compromised big time. They have given the importance of appearance a back seat while giving outright performance way too much importance. And that has, somehow, taken away some of the charm. I'm sorry but this is what I feel. They are just not the same anymore.

Maybe I'm wrong in comparing the old with the new.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 16:56   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

What do you'll think of the new McLaren MP4-12C? I think its fantastic and brilliant! I see a lot of the old F1 in it although it cannot be compared to it in any way. I'm glad that they didn't try and replace the F1.

It looks very striking and I'm sure that it will give the Datsun GT-R, the Ferrari 458 Italia, the Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 and the Porsche 911 Turbo a run for their money!

Has anyone noticed that the exhaust pipes on the new 'Laren are routed pretty high up at the rear. Motorists better watch out for its exhaust gasses and the almighty V8 roar!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 00:37   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
AyAn!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Durgapur/Calcutta/Pune
Posts: 2,167
Thanked: 850 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
What do you'll think of the new McLaren MP4-12C?
It doesn't look original.Plenty of Lotus and R8 design influences.
But talking about originality,these days most cars are inspired/influenced by some other!

The F1 was original and the MP4-12C design tries to ape the legend.But in the process looks inspired by others and a bit lukewarm in today's supercar world!

That apart I think it should be fantastic car with a stunning rear end!

Last edited by AyAn! : 21st October 2009 at 00:42.
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 23:38   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Here are a few pictures that might interest many. I got them off the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
The SuperCars Discussion Thread-mclarenmp412c10.jpg  

The SuperCars Discussion Thread-mclarenmp412c21.jpg  

The SuperCars Discussion Thread-mclarenmp412c31.jpg  

The SuperCars Discussion Thread-mclarenmp412c61.jpg  

suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 23:26   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,455
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Here are a few pictures that might interest many. I got them off the internet.
The design looks so amateur....an absolute supercar cocktail bound to go awry. Front looks so 458 Italia like. And the tail is a catastrophe!
I know it has recieved a lot of flak already, but could not resist posting.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 24th October 2009 at 23:30.
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 23:58   #14
BHPian
 
ir458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 141
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
The design looks so amateur....an absolute supercar cocktail bound to go awry. Front looks so 458 Italia like. And the tail is a catastrophe!
I know it has recieved a lot of flak already, but could not resist posting.
+1
The side air vents are too large. They just seem out of proportion.
ir458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata) sk456 Gadgets, Computers & Software 720 11th December 2015 09:00
Windows Vista Discussion Thread normally_crazy Gadgets, Computers & Software 663 2nd December 2014 02:18
Chennai General Discussion Thread slipstream The Team-BHP Meet Section 11 9th August 2006 15:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks