Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st September 2004, 22:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lets take a hypothetical situation.

You live in England or the US, in some highstreet. You make a whole load of tosh. You are a bachelor or spinster or are a young couple. The driveway of your apartment is quite narrow and parking is, so to speak, tight. You don't have an issue of money since your business/service ensures that you can buy any car you want to.

Now here is the problem. Since the parking lot is tight, you can only buy one car. Mind you it has to be the kind of car that you can use on a daily basis to work, yet take it out on a sunday and drive it down to the racetrack or that winding road that you love a lot. Fuel economy isn't the issue, but if your car has a tendency to break down in the middle of a traffic jam or somewhere on the highway, its inviting trouble. Also the car has to be one which is capable enough of taking 4 adults in relative comfort (a 2+2 comfy ride like the celica wud do as well) and their luggage on a trip out of town. Overall the car has to be FLEXIBLE to the T.

So which is that one car you'll want to own that gives you this level of flexibility. Pool in your thoughts and post it away.

Revv

Old 22nd September 2004, 00:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well ..i would have a E46 BMW M3. I dont think.. it would be a problem to park it in tight places..then..kinda suits.. every mood!

Ps: Was gonna put the E39 M5 but...its kinda big to park in tight places!!!
Old 22nd September 2004, 09:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The new M5.
Old 22nd September 2004, 10:58   #4
BHPian

Aston Martin DB9, it small enuf and has room for back passengers...also it has amazing build quality and lets not even go to performance..

otherwise a 911 turbo s if I really dont care much for shopping

or for me it would have to be a Infiniti G35 Coupe(Nissan Skyline)...I love the styling and it gives me tons and tons of space to take it up no bounds...in terms of performance enhancements, visual enhancement and more and its an awesomely comfi car...actually scrap the DB9 and 911..I will go for the G35 Coupe/Skyline, do a V8 engine swap from the M45 or the Q45(instantly taking the power from 298 to 343 i believe)..rebuild the engine with forged parts, add some FI and other performance enhancers(taking whp to 600-750) and some awesome body kits available, put some kick-### 19-20" magnisium alloys weighing 15-16lbs and have fun...on a race track it would pratically kill anything..and daily driver, it would as elegant as anything else..

yes there you go..40k for the car with everything and 50k on top with enhancements, a miserly 90k killer machine..

Old 22nd September 2004, 11:19   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Mind you it has to be the kind of car that you can use on a daily basis, yet take it out on a sunday and drive it down to the racetrack or that winding road that you love a lot. Fuel economy isn't the issue,
There can be only one - BMW M3 CSL. And dont tell me that its not a practical car - I use a CJ3B as my daily driver in Bombay!!

GTO
Old 22nd September 2004, 12:02   #6
BHPian

Oh this is what I sort of meant

narrow space and perfect fitting machine...

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2004, 12:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well

after seeing Revvs post I had to change my choice .At first it was a 355 but since the 4 seater option came into the scene its gotta be the 456 GT

Yes again its a Ferrari

Dippy

Old 22nd September 2004, 14:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey Crazi,

i always loved the G35 and its younger brother, the 350Z. But that pic of the G is simply mindblowing!

But, if it were my money on 1 car, I think I'd be racing GTO to that BMW showroom to pick up one of the last few CSL's!! Its not too flashy, its got 4 seats, and it would be amazing at a track day! Is that perfection??

Rt

Old 22nd September 2004, 15:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey people

Modified requirements up. Edit your posts wherever necessary. Read up post one for the same.

Thanx

Revv
Old 22nd September 2004, 15:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Another clarification, by tight i mean you can buy only one car since there is parking space in your apartment complex only for one. It doesn't necessarily mean that the car also has to be tight in size. 2-door coupes and 4-door saloons would do. Even if you find a limo thats a great handler and can justify that, throw it in. Remember, a justification for your choice is necessary.

Revv
Old 22nd September 2004, 15:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Its a hard choice for me, very very hard.

Especially since they are siblings. The M3 CSL is one of my fav cars to take to a race track, but somewhat impractical on-road due to its slick tyres and cardboard based boot. The M5 is a great handler and very comfy ride for its size. The negatives are that it can't outhandle an M3 CSL and though the M5 sounds great, the aural pleasure that a CSL creates is totally out of this world.

So finally i choose the new M5. Its just got everything that i wanted from a super-saloon. Space, ride, handling and w/o a doubt heart stomping performance. 0-62mph in 4.7 seconds means 0-60 mph in 4.4. Thats 911 turbo territory. Then a sequential manual thats wonderful to use and 11 independent modes of gear selection choose from + 2 individual modes.

The best part is, it has licked its competition. And how

Revv
Old 22nd September 2004, 17:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

hmmmm

for me it would be a h1 hummer dual-cab version!not too long or huge! just perfect, only diadvantage would it that's it's a bit wide,
Old 22nd September 2004, 21:33   #13
F50
Senior - BHPian

I would like to go for Ferrari 612 Scaglietti ..... I think it satisfies Revvs conditions as well, 2+2 ... Money no issue ... Almost the size of M5 few 50 odd mm's here and there ....

Performance
Second most powerfull Ferrari 540 bhp
0-60 in 4.30 secs,
Top speed 195 mph ...

And, ITS A FERRARI PAL
Old 22nd September 2004, 21:42   #14
BHPian

With the new requirements I am still sticking with my G35 Coupe hehe!! like i said earlier a lot of cars would be difficult to modify to the extent that you can a skyline, and to match the interior space and luxury is only capable by 100k+ coupes..so yup i am still proud of the G35c...

btw guys the boot's floor in the CSL is made of cardboard..so you cant really haul lugauge jk, its a perfect choice too...but the reason i didnt pick it was..its already there at perfection and it would be difficult to play around with it...and since part of loving cars is how you customize your car and keep your hobby alive, i didnt pick the CSL, otherwise it was all the way up there...along with M5..but somehow this coupe just took my heart away)

Old 23rd September 2004, 04:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

I didn't consider any saloon since I'm supposed to be young and single or a young couple.

I'll go for a black Mercedes Benz CL55AMG.... handles decently, very powerful, great looking, prestigeous, with 4 decent and comfortable seats and and good boot - a car for every occassion.

Others considered and discarded:
Porsche 911 Turbo, Jaguar XKR, Mercedes Benz SL55AMG and Ferrari 355 - all discarded because their rear seats can't be called seats. I don't know how good the Aston Martin DB9's rear seat is. I also think the CL65AMG is rather stupid.
Closed Thread