Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 19th April 2011, 19:59   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 2012 VW New Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
The all new VW 2012 New beetle was revealed to the general public a few hours ago in NYC.
Right you are,they have revealed a macho and sporty Beetle today. This link calls it the third generation Beetle. I am not sure about it as if we were to go by records the original Beetle changed its shape many a time, the basic design remaining the same.In later versions of the old Beetle, there were quite a few engine options too. This new one will be launched in 2012 in the markets VW lists in this link as per their schedule:
Volkswagen unveils new, macho Beetle - The Local

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th April 2011 at 20:02.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 20:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

The all new 2012 VW Beetle is perhaps the best looking modern VW ever... Absolutely brilliant take on the classic. Its my absolute favourite retro modern car.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 23:52   #33
BHPian

Default Volkswagen reveals 2012 Beetle

Quote:
Volkswagen is giving the latest version of its ‘world car’, the Beetle, a global launch, with simultaneous reveals at the Shanghai and New York shows, plus an event in Berlin.
The latest car builds on the semi-retro ‘New Beetle’, which was introduced in 1998 and accounted for more than a million sales before it was finally discontinued last year. So while VW states that every part has been remade, its lines still stick closely to those of the original Volkswagen, which has sold over 20 million units.
The new car is 1.808m wide, 1.486m tall and 4.278m long; that’s 84mm wider, 12mm lower and 152mm longer than the outgoing version, and considerably wider and longer than a Golf. Designed under the direction of VW Group design chief Walter de’Silva and VW brand design boss Klaus Bischoff, the Beetle gets sharper, squarer bumpers, and a more rakish roofline.
New features for the Beetle include LED daytime running lights, bi-xenon headlights, an integrated rear spoiler, and larger wheels (up to 19in will be available).
The engine options globally will be three turbocharged petrol units, with 103bhp (1.2), 158bhp (1.4) and 197bhp (2.0), and a pair of turbodiesels with 103bhp (1.6) and 138bhp (2.0). VW’s seven-speed dual-clutch transmission will be offered as an option;
The most potent petrol variant can reach 207kph It and the 1.6 TSI get VW’s electronic differential lock, which brakes to stop the unloaded inside wheel from spinning during cornering. Cabin-oriented features include navigation system (the first time navigation has been available on a Beetle), a premium sound system developed with guitar and amplifier manufacturer Fender, keyless access, and a panoramic glass roof that’s 80 per cent larger than the item offered on the previous model.
However, the dashboard-mounted flower vase - one of the 1998 model’s most distinguishing features - has been dropped, giving the Beetle’s fascia a more conventional look. The new Beetle will be built at VW’s Puebla plant in Mexico, alongside the Jetta, with which it shares a platform.A convertible version is already under development; it’ll go on sale later in 2012.
Source: Autocar Volkswagen reveals 2012 Beetle | Autocar India
Attached Images

StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 08:45   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen reveals 2012 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The all new 2012 VW Beetle is perhaps the best looking modern VW ever... Absolutely brilliant take on the classic. Its my absolute favourite retro modern car.
Completely agree! I really liked the new look. For me this is more aligned to the original than the current model. The current model is a bit too cute for my liking.

I could see a bit of Porsche influence around, and I read that VW has addressed a couple of concerns around the current model:
  • Shed the cutie image, and make it more appealing to male drivers. Currently, it is being classified as a girly car. Hence the flower holder on the dash is gone, and more fun-to-drive engines will be offered.
  • New design enable better headroom for the rear passengers and make it a proper 4-seater.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 09:28   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
The all new VW 2012 New beetle was revealed to the general public a few hours ago in NYC.

Here are some pics from another website.

The New New Volkswagen Beetle photos

and the revelation video on VW's facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50171383373544
There seems to be a mistake of sorts. The link you have given here shows a completely different front end as compared to the picture that is shown on this thread.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 09:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The current Beetle has not exactly been a big success so however much we may love it's looks it simply does not translate into sales that can be said to be substantial enough for the segment in which it plays.

This implies a major change in the looks and other aspects was on the cars.

The newer Beetle featured on this thread does look fresh, it has influences of the Prosche, the UP Car theme, the current Beetle, the Fiat 500 even, and in the intakes on the side even the nano .

I like the look of the new Beetle but the Fiat 500 and the mini are now in the same league in the looks department due to the conformation to standard design practices with the new Beetle.

For someone looking to stand out the current Beetle is a better bet. It looks like in time the new look will merge the the background automotive landscape.
If this is the 'real Beetle' car shown on this, then I completely agree with you. This car is no Beetle at all. The design has lost its unique flare and identity. Even otherwise the slightly flatter stance is a no - no. The roundness of it gives it the real essence in the first place. For me this car is no Beetle, I'd rather take the 500 for half the price
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 23:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

So how about a Beetle RS for all those guys who want to see a bit of Porsche in each car

VWvortex were given early access to the new 2012 Beetle, and this is what they came up with: a visual makeover of the new bug that draws its inspiration from the Porsche 911 GT3 RS, complete with bright orange 20-inch alloys on low-profile Continental rubber and a matching stripe with the words Beetle RS carved out, just like on the Porsche. The look is further enhanced by blacked-out chrome and badges coated in a 3M brushed-titanium wrap.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 VW New Beetle-vwvortex2012beetlersstage102.jpg  

2012 VW New Beetle-vwvortex2012beetlersstage104.jpg  

2012 VW New Beetle-vwvortex2012beetlersstage108.jpg  

theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 19:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

The Beetle RS looks brilliant especially in the second pic where the design's inspiration from the Porsche is so clearly evident.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote