Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 14th October 2009, 14:59   #1
Default Hybrid cars to get fake vroom

I came across this story in NY Times today: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/au...hybrid.html?hp

It turns out that "quiet" hybrids pose a safety threat to pedestrians, so hybrid and electric vehicles may get "car tones" to warn them.

I wonder if that is a good idea. We've always wanted less noisy cars, and now that we have them, we think of adding noise. Ironical!

Imagine a car suddenly emitting some random pop song, won't that add to noise pollution?

And in India, pedestrians will neither hear it because of the infernal cacophony already present, and if they do, they're probably going to ignore it. :-)

What say? Is this a good idea in India and worldwide?
cargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 15:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

IMO, this is not needed. Hybrids are designed and conceptualized with the future eco problems in mind. Noise pollution would ideally be on of them.
Instead they should devise schemes to discourage jaywalkers. This is the result of too much R&D.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 15:17   #3

ha. Reminds me of the old CD100 bike that I had 12 years ago. The horn was kaput so I had to resort to sudden braking so that the screech from the rear drum would wake up jaywalkers.
MalluDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 16:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Let the hybrids come to india nice and proper first.
As for the Americans, well, somebody tell them thats what that thing called HORN is used for.
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 21:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Study: Hybrid cars hit more pedestrians

According to a recently released National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study, hybrid-electric vehicles are up to twice as dangerous to pedestrians as traditional cars.
Name:  Hybrid Cars.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  41.5 KB
The effect is at its worst in the city, when HEVs are almost silent. Near-silent vehicles are harder to detect, hindering a pedestrian’s ability to avoid collisions. A rumbling V-8 lets you know it is coming. Electric vehicles offer no such warning. The American Council of the Blind has issued a number of press releases in recent months warning of the danger that HEVs pose. There is also a bill with 139 lawmakers on board that would force the Department of Transportation to establish safety standards around “non-visual warnings” for vehicles.
Out of the vehicles in the study:

* 8,387 were hybrids, of which 77 had struck a pedestrian — this works out to a 0.9 percent incidence rate
* 559,703 vehicles were traditional gas-burners, which struck 3,578 pedestrians, which works out to a 0.6 percent incidence rate

Electric vehicles are thus determined to be 50 percent more dangerous to pedestrians. Of the pedestrian accidents, it was almost a fifty-fifty break on under or over 35 mph, with one-third of accidents not including speed limit information.
In accidents involving bicyclists, the numbers get worse:

* 0.3 percent of standard cars on the road hit a bicyclist
* 0.6 percent of HEVs hit a bicyclist
* Out of the speed limit data available, 25 of 34 collisions were in a 35 or under zone, suggesting that city streets are the most dangerous places to be a cyclist
Pressure from the ACB and others has spurred a new controversy in the electric-vehicle field. Nissan, Ford and Chevrolet are all trying to determine what, if any, “non visual signals” will be included in their EV models. Tesla has said that it has no intention if implementing “fake noises,” as it has delivered 700 vehicles and the quiet power train is consistently noted as a plus. The Fisker Karma will include a “distinctive audio signature … reflective of the car’s advanced technology.” Whether this means a Jetsons like bubbling whir or cutting-edge dance beats remains to be seen.
Nissan and Ford are still on the fence, not having firm plans either way. According to Ford’s hybrid division head Nancy Gioia, “if we all do it differently, we will confuse the heck out of the consumer.”
Representative Edolphus Towns, a New York Democrat, has introduced a bill that would require the Department of Transportation to establish non-visual warning requirements for HEVs. So far it has 139 supporters.
Public reception for the idea has been mostly negative on the Internet, with people citing the quiet of EV power trains as a decisive advantage not to be canceled by artificial noises.
Source Study: Hybrid cars hit more pedestrians | VentureBeat
Yours Truly
Is'nt that amazing? Guess thats what statistics can do- make or break any product image
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 21:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

There was a thread running somewhere around here that EVs need to have blaring music to warn pedestrians.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 21:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

I don't know where but some countries are considering legislation for hybrid cars to have an 'engine noise'. Its a legitimate concern given these stats.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 22:08   #8
Senior - BHPian
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The manufacturers are voluntarily trying to add some sort of sound (or music). The Fisker Karma would be the first one to go on road with such sound coming through speakers in the bumper.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 05:54   #9

Whether hybrid or electric certain cars do need sound. For example the Fisker and Tesla sports cars are two that come to mind. These are sports cars have the looks, the performance but lack the sound. This is one of the things that can make a car. What would a Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin or even the C63 be with out sound. The sounds of these cars is pure heaven at least to a purist. Turn the stereo off roll down the windows and rev it to redline! Even the supercharger whine from my MCS is addictivie.
Raj2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 16:58   #10
Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I think this is valid enough concern. The engine sound many a times work as the warning which would definitely be lacking in a electric or hybrid car. But didn't think this way earlier.
gupta_chd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 16:39   #11

its quite fair i guess.

although the vroom should not be very loud.

i remember no sound was considered a major threat for two wheelers too.

if we do not have a bit of sound these things just act up as "silent death", i guess.
pb10gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 19:17   #12
Default M5 faking its roar

Just happened to notice in NY Times today that "A mighty car fakes its Roar". It was about $100,000 M5 with V8 twin-turbo belting out that hysteric roar through its stereo and car speakers. How about that?

Also, read about it here

BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote