Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 12th November 2009, 14:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Its all about how you transfer the weight around, the Accord and the SM5 are being driven voilently with rapid steering movements, while the Sonata is being caressed around the obstacles.

You generally see such diff between a family sedan and a sprots car.

Shan2nu
There is a huge difference in the driving style in this video. Accord is willingly made to slide whereas Sonata is driven a lot less agressively.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 14:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Brakes have nothing to do in this video. Its a handling test, ABS won`t come into picture.
I think he is talking about switching off the traction control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
We too in India review the TATA and Mahindra vehicles but are never accused of being biased in their favour, Yep looks can be biased but handling abilities are very objective and the they have carried out multiple test, that we should see no reason to doubt. Has it been featured somewhere credible that the accord is a great handler (better than the sonata. Infact the accord not being great at handling has been mentioned on may of our threads by the owners/ driver themselves.
I never said that the Accord was a great handler, I was only pointing out about how the Sonata was being driven so gently in comparison with the other two cars.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 15:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
And exactly how do you switch of the ABS in an Accord?.
Multiple ways. Just because you don't know doesn't mean that it is not possible. Let's take it offline as it is not related to the thread.

Quote:
Come on lets not be blue eyed about the honda, it was never a great handler.
None of those cars are. But the way the video is "built up" is way too over the top. That all I (and many others) am saying
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 06:22   #19
BHPian

Save yourself all the hassle and buy a Subaru Legacy. The best handling mid size sedan in its class, period.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 08:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the video is genuine. A car that handles better feels slower as it's rear does not keep hanging out.

The Accord has never been a great handler, and it's key attributes were and are comfort, quality and reliability. It exceeds the Sonato on these even today.

Add german car - superb, Laura, VW Passat - any one and the test would look even funnier wrt to the accord and sonata both.
Any wonder that they did not include a European car?

The Europeans would do well to make a note of this video, it shows that the Asians are now looking at handling too and it is time the Europeans became concerned.

The video shows a wee bit of 'doctored' driving, not much, just that the best driver drove the Sonata. But the inherent capabilities come out clearly. Frankly the Accord does handle like that and I have noticed it several times here in India. I have not seen many Sonatas on the highways so I have no idea how it handles at those speeds.

As for me, I would not put my family in a car that does not handle well. Safety comes first.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 10:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Watch the Accord with stock springs in this vid. There is such a big diff in the way it handles compared to the Accord in the Hyundai's test video.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 18:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Save yourself all the hassle and buy a Subaru Legacy. The best handling mid size sedan in its class, period.
Offtopic: Unfortunately Subaru legacy is not available in india. The only Subaru sold in india was Forester that too with the Chevrolet badge, it has been discontinued since long.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 18:30   #23
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Watch the Accord with stock springs in this vid. There is such a big diff in the way it handles compared to the Accord in the Hyundai's test video.

Shan2nu
This test is less taxing. The car doesn't have to turn and veer much.
vij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 19:10   #24
BHPian

It seem that this video was taken just to put down Accord
Sonata is been driven correctly and Accord seems to be driven with unnecessary skids.
Not sure if we can believe this video
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 19:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This test is less taxing. The car doesn't have to turn and veer much.
Thats the point. You say this test isn't taxing, i say the other vid had the Accord and SM5 being driven with the wrong technique. Who's to say who is right or wrong.

So dont believe these promo vids too much.

Nobody says the Accord is the best handler in its class but it's def not as bad as its been shown in the vid.

Shan2nu
Old 13th November 2009, 19:29   #26
vij
BHPian

My initial inference was that the difference was too much to be true, also the overall glorification of the Sonata towards the end made it look like a promotion.
vij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 19:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My initial inference was that the difference was too much to be true, also the overall glorification of the Sonata towards the end made it look like a promotion.
This is Hyundai's Education Video.

Hyundai Sonata(NF)2.0 with AGCS
Honda Accord 2.4
Renault Samsung SM5 2.0(Nissan Teana)

Isn't it obvious....hehe.

Shan2nu
Old 17th November 2009, 11:48   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Many years back the Volvo had carried out an advt campaign in which they had show their vehicle and those of BMW, Audi, Merc and others all being all together tramped with a monster truck and ofcourse the Volvo came out best. The test was doctored and the roof of the volvo had been strengthened.

Merc won a case against volvo for this and the advt was reshot - this time without the reinforcement - this time too the volvo came out best in the test.

The Advt did two things;

1) Volvo still got it's point across of being the safest of the lot, and addtionally people waited to watch the reshot advt and noticed - putting in more effort how the volvo was better. So the trick was worth it for them

2) Since that court judgement the all manufaurers avoid doctoring such comparision results except through angles at which the scenes are shot as the penalites are stiff.

It think Hyundai has NOT doctored the clip.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 11:50   #29
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Shan2nu
This one is a much milder test. The angles that need to be achieved are easier.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote