Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 26th November 2009, 16:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..

German tuning company XTR Carchip have slapped on an amazingly aggressive, detachable body kit (that consists of fenders, skirts, adjustable rear spoiler, bumpers, carbon SVMs, et al) on a '06 987 Porsche Cayman S!

The interiors have been given the works as well. Complete with roll cage (For the track-days), Recaro GT3 seats with 6-point harness and carbon-fiber dashboard.

Now, it's quite odd that I've started this review with the description of the body work and the interior and not the performance and power of this Cayman. The reason for this is that XTR Carchip haven't done much to improve the performance and power of this car (!) Which is rather weird because this car looks like it can do a million miles per hour!

Apart from a 'little chip tuning', a Super Sprint Magnum exhaust and an upgraded suspension, there is nothing much else to write home about. It makes a 'measly' 310 horses and manages a top speed of 285 km/h But the good news is that XTR Carchip is looking to build, (hold your breath) an 850 horsepower Cayman based on this car!

Other interesting bits are these scintillating 3 piece, die-cast, forged 18" BBS RS wheels that wear a set of tasty Pirelli tires.

The other interesting thing about this car is that it's meant for the street and just for hobby racing! Think of it as an RS version of the regular Cayman that Porsche never introduced!

Source: Porsche Cayman X-Wide by XTR Carchip | PorschePoint
Attached Thumbnails
XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_1.jpg  

XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_2.jpg  

XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_3.jpg  

XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_4.jpg  

XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_5.jpg  

XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_6.jpg  

XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_7.jpg  

XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_8.jpg  

XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_9.jpg  

XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_14.jpg  

XTR Carchip Cayman 'looks' the part..-xtr_cayman_15.jpg  

Attached Images

suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 17:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you type Porsche in google & surf through each & every search result.
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 18:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

So pointless. It's like me dressing up like Usain Bolt and then running the 100m in 50 seconds.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 18:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Looks like you type Porsche in google & surf through each & every search result.
Hehe! Yeah, you could call me a Porsche exclusive search engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
So pointless. It's like me dressing up like Usain Bolt and then running the 100m in 50 seconds.
Yeah, but the Cayman does have the legs even in stock guise lest we forget. It's not called 'the best handling car in the world' for nothing! And 285 km/h is pretty brisk!

I think this tuner can sell 10-20 of these cars specifically for track use and run them in a single-make race series of sorts.
Old 27th November 2009, 13:36   #5
BHPian

Well many are not aware that '09 Cayman S is one of the best handling cars.
Motor trend gave it the car of the year award for 2009 above R8. And many other magazines gave it the car of the year and said it's one of the best sports cars Porsche has ever made. It already does 0-100 in 4.9 and top speed of 275 kph.

Suhaas the TPC racing ATP:2 X51 racing with 450 WHP is enough to overtake even GT3 on a track. Porsche deliberately holds back this awesome Cayman platform, so that it doesn't destroy 911. It's a mid engine thing.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 13:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Motor trend gave it the car of the year award for 2009 above R8. And many other magazines gave it the car of the year and said it's one of the best sports cars Porsche has ever made. It already does 0-100 in 4.9 and top speed of 275 kph.

Suhaas the TPC racing ATP:2 X51 racing with 450 WHP is enough to overtake even GT3 on a track. Porsche deliberately holds back this awesome Cayman platform, so that it doesn't destroy 911. It's a mid engine thing.
True.

Actually as even Jeremy Clarson said on Top Gear, it feels like it can do more, but Porsche purposely restricted it. If they do full justice to the car, it can beat the 911 as well.

Some modded Caymans have blown away 911 turbos.

My reasoning is this. For 50 years, Porsche has focused only on the 911 as their premier sports car. It's rear engined. The engine is behind the axle and obviously has it's problems. Today, Porsche have refined that to such an extent, that the 911 isnt really that hairy to drive at the limit. So, if they utilise that level of brains to build a mid engined car, it can thrash any car from the competition, but they simply didnt bother.

The Carrera GT was a one-off and that was a razor edge kinda car from what I've read.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 18:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
True.

Actually as even Jeremy Clarson said on Top Gear, it feels like it can do more, but Porsche purposely restricted it. If they do full justice to the car, it can beat the 911 as well.

Some modded Caymans have blown away 911 turbos.

My reasoning is this. For 50 years, Porsche has focused only on the 911 as their premier sports car. It's rear engined. The engine is behind the axle and obviously has it's problems. Today, Porsche have refined that to such an extent, that the 911 isnt really that hairy to drive at the limit. So, if they utilise that level of brains to build a mid engined car, it can thrash any car from the competition, but they simply didnt bother.

The Carrera GT was a one-off and that was a razor edge kinda car from what I've read.
Very very true! In fact, the kind of potential the Cayman has is astonishing! Like you mentioned, TPC Racing's ATP:2 with the Porsche sourced 911 based X51 Performance Package is so loony, it could blow a stock 911 Turbo into the weeds!

But if you ask me, Porsche should have introduced a RS version of the Cayman as it would cater to a different segment. And I'm sure it wouldn't interfere with the sales of the 911 range. Just think about it, people who want to buy the 911 would buy only the 911 and wouldn't consider any other sports car in the market. Otherwise, they could buy a GT-R or an R8 or even a Cayman and soup it up!

People who want a 911 will buy only the 911 and wouldn't give a hoot to anything else around! So even if they introduce a more powerful Cayman, the 911 would be continue to be an epic sports car that many would still prefer.

And yes, the 911 used to be a very hairy car to drive fast. One needed excellent throttle modulation while cornering. Keeping your foot planted would result in bags of under-steer from the tail heavy car. The moment you lift off the throttle even the slightest, the tail would step out mid-corner and you'd find yourself in the grass before you could say 'Over-steer'. But Porsche, today, has changed that and somehow, along with that, the classic 911 charm has gone as well!
Old 29th November 2009, 13:38   #8
BHPian

GT-R and R8 are not Porsches. People who love Porsches don't buy other cars, instead they move up from a carrera to a turbo or a GT3 for track use. Many magazines have said is it worth the extra 10-12 lacs? It will destroy 911 if given only 50-100 more HPs.

Actually Cayman is a mid-engine 911, if at all a 911 is ever introduced with mid-enigne. 911 require more skill to drive at high speeds.

911 has a heritage, which Porsche doesn't wish to exchange with any other model, so it'll never introduce a RS version of Cayman. 911 will never loose all of it's customers but will loose it's market share against Cayman.

Thats the reason i love mid-engine - 914, carrera GT, Cayman S and boxster!

Last edited by Dante : 29th November 2009 at 13:40.
Old 29th November 2009, 15:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GT-R and R8 are not Porsches. People who love Porsches don't buy other cars, instead they move up from a carrera to a turbo or a GT3 for track use. Many magazines have said is it worth the extra 10-12 lacs? It will destroy 911 if given only 50-100 more HPs.

Actually Cayman is a mid-engine 911, if at all a 911 is ever introduced with mid-enigne. 911 require more skill to drive at high speeds.

911 has a heritage, which Porsche doesn't wish to exchange with any other model, so it'll never introduce a RS version of Cayman. 911 will never loose all of it's customers but will loose it's market share against Cayman.

Thats the reason i love mid-engine - 914, carrera GT, Cayman S and boxster!
I fully and completely agree with you! Well said Dante!

There is good news for those who're fans of the late 914. There is a replacement of sorts on its way! It's a mid-engined 2.0 liter, four pot Porsche and will be based on a completely new Audi/VW platform. It should be priced around 35-40 thousand Pounds! Can't wait for that!

Do you like the front engined Porsches of yore? The 924 and the 928?
Old 30th November 2009, 17:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I fully and completely agree with you! Well said Dante!

There is good news for those who're fans of the late 914. There is a replacement of sorts on its way! It's a mid-engined 2.0 liter, four pot Porsche and will be based on a completely new Audi/VW platform. It should be priced around 35-40 thousand Pounds! Can't wait for that!

Do you like the front engined Porsches of yore? The 924 and the 928?
Yes but only to some extent. Or are you talking about the 2011 launch 928 with a V8 or V10 engine?
Old 30th November 2009, 18:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes but only to some extent. Or are you talking about the 2011 launch 928 with a V8 or V10 engine?
Nope! I'm talking about the older '70s and '80s Porsche 924 and the 928. I've heard that Porsche is looking to re-introduce them with a modern avatar and new bits! That would be interesting as well!
Old 30th November 2009, 19:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Suhaas and Dante are like my half brothers, for the love of Porsche and talking passion I am happy to find new siblings

Yes, I had Cayman as my chariot from work and I craved for taking it for a spin all throughout the workday. I had Mercs, BMWs, Audis and VWs too but I never had anything to drive that could take away the insatiable feeling the Cayman imprinted. If I were to buy a sports car I would go in for Cayman and if I had more to spend. Soup it up to my requirements. Mostly my money was spent replacing the tires and not mod anything. Love the car.

Cheers!

PS. VW please for heaven's sake do not kill Porsche brand by introducing the same platform with Audi and VW. Humble request.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 20:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Suhaas and Dante are like my half brothers, for the love of Porsche and talking passion I am happy to find new siblings

Yes, I had Cayman as my chariot from work and I craved for taking it for a spin all throughout the workday. I had Mercs, BMWs, Audis and VWs too but I never had anything to drive that could take away the insatiable feeling the Cayman imprinted. If I were to buy a sports car I would go in for Cayman and if I had more to spend. Soup it up to my requirements. Mostly my money was spent replacing the tires and not mod anything. Love the car.

Cheers!

PS. VW please for heaven's sake do not kill Porsche brand by introducing the same platform with Audi and VW. Humble request.
We have another Porschephile here!

I agree with you completely. The feeling you get while driving a Porsche is something that cannot be felt in any other car!

Unfortunately, the boffins at VW and Audi are killing some of the brands' image! You see, even though the Lamborghini Estoque (the new yet-to-be-launched sedan) looks brilliant and is getting the right feedback from the general audience, The MDs and CEOs and test-drivers at Lamborghini are not very happy about it! I'd read about this somewhere and it got me thinking!
Old 1st December 2009, 14:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post

Cheers!

Yes welcome brother. Which model do you have? Or sold?
Even i am getting my '09 Cayman S, delivery - may be in a couple of weeks.
Suggestion please - Any service problems or anything i should take care of?

Yes I hope VW Audi don't screw up.
Old 1st December 2009, 19:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ages back porsche had exploited the brilliant chassis of the mid engined Porsche 914.It had created 2 very special versions of the 914 called the 914/8.One had a 310 bhp racing engine and the other a silver 260 bhp version which was gifted to ferry porche(not too sure abt this fact).This in a car whose entry level engine made 80bhp!.Both could outrun the 911 turbo of its time.

This just goes to show that a mid-engined porsche with about 350 bhp would be an excellent drivers car.But the main hindrance is the fact that porsche is afraid to competite against the 911,and the only way it can supersede the 911 is to come out with halo models like the CGT.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote