Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 1st December 2009, 18:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default European Car of the Year 2010: New VW Polo

The New Polo is Car of the Year

International jury – 59 members from 23 European countries

International customers – 130,000 Polos already ordered worldwide

Press Release:

Wolfsburg/Madrid, 01 December 2009 – The new Polo is Car of the Year 2010: Today the Car of the Year jury chose the Volkswagen as number 1; this is the crowning achievement of an extraordinary year for the new Polo.

“The new Polo stands for German engineering craftsmanship and superior cutting edge technology. At the same time it is a fresh, youthful and cosmopolitan car! The fifth generation Polo was designed for address customer expectations with even greater uncompromising alignment. That is why we are naturally very pleased to see our efforts validated in the form of this award,” says Professor Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of the Board of Management, Volkswagen Group.

Selection as Car of the Year is one of the oldest and most esteemed awards in Europe. The best of all new car introductions have been awarded annually since 1964. The last time a Volkswagen won was in 1992: Back then the new third generation Golf emerged victoriously over the Opel Astra and Citroën ZX. In today’s competition, 59 jurors from 23 European countries cast their votes. The new Polo won with 347 points, outpacing the Toyota IQ.

Hakan Matson, president of the jury, had this to say at the award ceremony in Madrid: “It was the Polo’s comprehensive safety equipment and its advanced range of engines that impressed us the most. On the Polo BlueMotion Volkswagen was also able to add a very fuel-efficient yet affordable car to its car
programme.”

The Polo’s selection as Car of the Year 2010 is the crowning achievement of an extraordinary year for the new Polo after already being named Best Car 2009 by “auto motor sport” magazine and winning the Grüne (“Green”) and the Goldene Lenkrad (“Golden Steering Wheel”) awards by publisher Springer Verlag - as well as the Auto Trophy by “Autozeitung” just a few days ago.

Not only was the award jury impressed by the new Polo. Since its market launch in May of this year, Volkswagen has received over 130,000 orders for the new benchmark car of the compact class. The Polo is available as a dynamic 3-door and comfortable 5-door in Germany. As the Polo BlueMotion, just 3.3 litre fuel consumption makes it the most fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly iveseater in the world.

Source: VW-Media
Attached Thumbnails
European Car of the Year 2010: New VW Polo-2010_vw_polo_11.jpg  

hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 18:53   #2
BHPian

Very tempting for me to trade up my trusty and rugged Indica DLS for a new Polo, as and when its launched in India, around April 2010.

Tough choice.
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 19:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Very tempting for me to trade up my trusty and rugged Indica DLS for a new Polo, as and when its launched in India, around April 2010.

Tough choice.
hey i thoought it will roll out by jan 2010.Guess the swift will have tough competition when (and if) it comes with the new k-series engine.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 23:28   #4
BHPian

It is remarkable achievement for a car which has an understated look. I think its mainly due to the blue motion technology which makes it rally affordable and environmental friendly.
hpzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 23:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

Good to know that, Especially when we know its headed to India. My only wish is VW offers some awesome engines here. Keeping the fingers crossed till its indian launch.

Forgot to say its looks awesome in red.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 00:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
hey i thoought it will roll out by jan 2010.Guess the swift will have tough competition when (and if) it comes with the new k-series engine.
I doubt if they are going to price it in the Swift territory. My hunch is it will atleast be priced similar to the i20, if not a shade higher.
1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 02:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919 View Post
I doubt if they are going to price it in the Swift territory. My hunch is it will atleast be priced similar to the i20, if not a shade higher.
Well said. Else they will kill the Fabia's sales---which is a model of their own sister company.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 06:11   #8
SMK
BHPian

I wonder why VW is not launching the Golf GTI. I did have an opporutnity to drive this one and its a amazing premium small car.
Looks better than the Polo IMO not that Polo is not a looker but i am sure the Golf GTI would be a better prospect for the permium segment small car buyer.
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 06:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

The polo is indeed a great car and love the looks of the thing. Hope they come out with a stunner price and adequate oil burner.
Really hope.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 11:09   #10
BHPian

Another factor for VW to market the Polo in India. Great going VW.
Pricing the Polo will be the key for VW
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 11:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well said. Else they will kill the Fabia's sales---which is a model of their own sister company.
As per the Business Standard news in August'09, Polo will be benchmarked against the i10 and Swift which is the A2 category in Indian compact car segment.
Here's the weblink for a complete coverage:
Volkswagen's Polo to compete with Swift, i10
AltoHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 11:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well Entry level Fabia Petrol is available at 5 lakhs (ex showroom) , Polo may price their entry level around 5 lakhs plus same around swift vxi with more local content compared to Fabia whose price has dropped at least 15 % for the entry level classic model compared to 15 months back.

With Suzuki tie up its going to benefit the car owners from VW stable
Fabiaous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 12:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
I wonder why VW is not launching the Golf GTI. I did have an opporutnity to drive this one and its a amazing premium small car.
Looks better than the Polo IMO not that Polo is not a looker but i am sure the Golf GTI would be a better prospect for the permium segment small car buyer.
The VW gameplan is to succeed in the the two potentially largest auto markets in the world, viz. China and India.

In India, for any automaker to succeed, it has to have a VFM model in the small car segment ( which has become a super segment, what with segments within the main one!). The Polo is the right offering from VW, as its is a comfortable, rugged (small by Western standards) hatch. They will extend the brand by launching a Polo sedan a little later. As I had said elsewhere, pricing the Polo hatch and the sedan is key.

India is a unique market and the mix of 1. exterior design, 2. fuel efficient engines, 3. seating space for 5, 4. luggage space, with 5. features, including generous dollops of chrome, certainly helps.

My sense is the Polo hatch will play in the Rs 5 lacs to 8 lacs range, which will be a huge achievement for VW, as prices across their entire model range is a bit higher, design & development costs being higher in Europe/Germany. If that is the price range, the Polo will be smack in the Swift Dzire/Fabia/Indigo Manza/i20 territory, albeit the Manza is (and the Dzire could be) one size larger.

The Polo hatch will hope to take away sales from the i20/Swift (higher versions)/Fabia (some cannibalisation with its sister organisation Skoda, but VW won't mind as the Fabia is not doing too well).

The Polo sedan will hope to take away sales from the Manza/Swift Dzire/SX4 and possibly even the Linea and the City, especially for people who are willing to trade-off a little extra luggage space available in the City/Linea with the solidity and ruggedness of the Polo sedan.

I think VW plan to make the Polo their single most important brand overall in India and will offer, two styles ( hatch, sedan) and a slew of diesel and a few petrol engines to anable sales of say about fifty thousand units per annum in about three years from launch.

In this scenario, it is difficult to envision the introduction of the Golf GTi as it will be a niche hatch in India; after all how many Indians would like to buy a performance hatch at say 10 lacs plus? Very few. If the Beetle is launched at Rs 20 lacs reportedly, I don't see the Golf GTi with its 200+ bhp SI engines having prices below Rs 20 lacs.

VW might, later bring the GTi as a CBU for Indian performance enthusiasts at those kind of prices, as a halo brand. But as of now, the Beetle will serve that purpose.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 12:31   #14
BHPian

A high price entry point Hatch is a sure recipe for a sales disaster, at least very true for Indian market. Looks at the Honda Jazz, such an excellent product with fantastic features with no other hatch can boast off has been dumped to bite the dust , the effect is so profound that there were no Jazz manufactured in the month of Nov 09. Honda is still sitting on stock pile of unsold inventory and not able to decide they are in a …what to do mode?

For a Hatch to succeed in Indian market the product should be priced somewhere well under the physiological barrier of 5 lacs so that the OTR prices comes to about 5 lacs. Any hatch product priced above 5 lacs will have a limited market called premium hatch segment. I am sure that VW Polo is looking for a broader market so that it can have larger volumes making up for the low profit per unit.

I feel that to cater to a larger volume they have strategically invested in Suzuki to take the advantage of it wide A.S.S network.

I am sure that VW will come up with a good entry pricing , hope the keep some good engine & features in the base version.
A poor engine configuration will not be tolerated as we already have class leading K Series from Suzuki in petrol & Quadra/DDIS diesel engine in many other cars in this price range.
Balancing performance, economy & serviceably will be crucial for Polo’s success in India.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 14:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its a lovely ride for VW.I wouldnt mind to own it next to my yesteryear Golf.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote