Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 5th January 2010, 21:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Satellite speed-limiter system starts trials

The Australian transport authorities’ obsession with the speeding has been taken a step further. The Victorian Government will soon begin testing a device that can electronically slow a car using satellite technology.
The project is dubbed AISAI, Australasian Intelligent Speed Adaptation Initiative, and will be the first of its kind in Australia.

The first guinea pigs will be Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon, a former Victorian coroner plus other Victorian Government ministers and an estimated 45 other participants.
According to the Herald Sun, all state and territory governments as well as New Zealand have been in talks to introduce the system for some time. Depending on results, the project will move to New South Wales and Western Australia later this year.
The system will cost anywhere between $700 and $2000 per vehicle to install and it is expected to find its way into government fleet cars first.

So how does it work? It’s not that different to your every satellite navigation – only that it interfaces with your car’s electronic systems. It knows where you are and it has a database of all speed limits on Australia roads. Firstly it works out how fast you’re going by taking an average reading of your changing position divided by time -it then runs the speed past the database to see if you’re breaking the speed limit – then begins the pain.
There are three levels of operation:
  • Level one will simply give you an annoying audible warning when you go over the speed limit,
  • Level two starts to cut power to the engine to slow you down by force – but can be overridden or ignored,
  • Level three is like level two only that the system now overrules you, and won’t allow the car to speed regardless of what colourful words
Queensland transport, which despite a massive surge in speed cameras failed miserably in reducing the state’s road toll last year, has already come out and said the system can reduce serious accidents by an enormous 20 per cent.
But wait, it gets better. The Herald Sun also quoted in its original report that an unnamed Victorian government website has gone even one step further, suggesting that almost 60 per cent of road fatalities can be cut if the system was fitted to all cars.
Previously we would say that the state governments are looking for the cheap way out to fix the road toll epidemic, but this is no cheap option. With the estimated cost of $700-$2000, the money would be far better spent introducing mandatory advanced driver training classes to improve driving skills and reiterating the road rules.
No doubt that if the trial are successful, the system will find its way to everyday cars, perhaps being a mandatory fitting for repeat speeding offenders.
So what do you think? Would you allow your car to be fitted with a big brother style speed limiter?
source caradvice.com: The Leading Car Advice Site on the Net

Yours Truly

Was listening to the BBC news yesterday 04/01/2009 where I heard about this device being proclaimed as the greatest in automobile safety after the advent of seat belts.
Imagine a macho driver cruising his way on his SUV, overspeeding and cutting lanes on the Delhi roads, throwing the traffic into a state of disarray.His ego filled balloon will be badly pin pricked once his SUV is by satellite force slowed down.And so the inherent road rage be neutralised.

The earlier such a device comes to India the better.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 03:28   #2
BHPian

The system is pretty good.The location and speed information is used by truck industries in US and Canada for various reasons. But traffic violation is a major revenue generation in US and many countries and if this system is into effect then there will be lot of people who will know that they are being monitored continuously and wont speed beyond the limit. Thats no good for the Traffic department!! They want you to violate so that they can fine you.....
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 04:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
The system is pretty good.The location and speed information is used by truck industries in US and Canada for various reasons. But traffic violation is a major revenue generation in US and many countries and if this system is into effect then there will be lot of people who will know that they are being monitored continuously and wont speed beyond the limit. Thats no good for the Traffic department!! They want you to violate so that they can fine you.....
+ 1 to that. It is a major industry which generates a lot of money for the staes in USA. But they can implemente it in a different way, instead of 2nd warning they will directly add points to the driving license .
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 22:50   #4
BHPian

We badly need such technology for the Buses, heavy trucks, Oil/Gas Trucks and tipper lorries running in Kerala. Every year they crush hundreds. Govt mandates speed governors but they are easily bypassed by the drivers. This was shown in regional channels
arunsasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 23:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
+ 1 to that. It is a major industry which generates a lot of money for the staes in USA. But they can implemente it in a different way, instead of 2nd warning they will directly add points to the driving license .
Agreed! I dont think this system will fit US DOT interests. Since I see that you are in NJ, I'm not sure if you know this proposal some yrs back about speed monitoring on NJ Turnpike. The NJ DOT tried to have a proposal that will calculate your speed based on EZ Pass system toll access between an entry point to the exit point on NJTP. That sure didnt pass the legislation since myself or anyone else wont speed beyond 65 if I enter onto NJTP.
Old 7th January 2010, 23:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

We badly need a similar device to prevent the ridiculous sunday drivers from hogging the expressway at 60 kph.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 02:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed! I dont think this system will fit US DOT interests. Since I see that you are in NJ, I'm not sure if you know this proposal some yrs back about speed monitoring on NJ Turnpike. The NJ DOT tried to have a proposal that will calculate your speed based on EZ Pass system toll access between an entry point to the exit point on NJTP. That sure didnt pass the legislation since myself or anyone else wont speed beyond 65 if I enter onto NJTP.
I have got 9 points on my license
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 07:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I have got 9 points on my license
Dude you need to be careful now, if I'm not wrong then 12 points lead to license suspension right? Anyway I invested in radar detectors back in 2006. I bought a Beltronics RX65+ and then Valentine one for my second car. The investment paid off over all these years. But unfortunately I got a ticket last month and my radar detector didn't warn me. I was quite surprised when the cop stopped me after following for some time. He asked me politely as if why I was speeding but I defended myself confidently since I knew he didnt use radar on me. Finally came to know that I was being monitored from an aircraft on the top. This happened on my way to Chicago from Iowa on Route 80.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Imagine a macho driver cruising his way on his SUV, overspeeding and cutting lanes on the Delhi roads, throwing the traffic into a state of disarray.His ego filled balloon will be badly pin pricked once his SUV is by satellite force slowed down.And so the inherent road rage be neutralised.

The earlier such a device comes to India the better.
In India technology has a vast potential to be misused - Imagine you are on your way and to give way to a minister's motorcade everyone is slowed down or brought to a halt... Only way it can be prevented is if the operation is outsourced to a ops center somewhere in west of the globe.
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 14:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
We badly need a similar device to prevent the ridiculous sunday drivers from hogging the expressway at 60 kph.
I doubt whether the jokers will allow the use of these systems for the Tortoise Hazards!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 22:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so. They'll some how come up with some capitalist idea which will pay the DOT for every device manufactured or every time the satellite was used to slow a vehicle down :P
meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 01:44   #12
BHPian

So what's left of the personal automobile now? If everything is controlled by a computer or a satellite, then what's our role in operating a car?

If this gets through, it's going to be one of the biggest infringements on our personal liberties. What happens if you're in an emergency trying to speed through traffic to reach the nearest hospital or police station? Will the satellite be aware of it? I can think of hundreds of situations like these.

But I'm also confident that like radar detectors and jammers, there will be devices in the market to counter this as well. God bless them.

Remember getting a speeding ticket at least gives you the chance to fight it in court, which is a constitutional right. But being forcefully slowed down by a robot who is completely unaware of the actual situation is unlawful.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 11th January 2010 at 01:48.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote