Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Thanked: 192 Times
The CRZ (Compact Renaissance Zero) goes on sale from February 26. Here is more info on the car from their official press release
| Exterior Design |
- The functional beauty of an automobile and advanced and clean image of a hybrid vehicle were fused into the exterior design of the CR-Z.
- For the front view, the width was emphasized by the large and highly-visible front grill and a design form with extended fenderes.
- For the side view, a one-motion wedge form was adopted to emphasize sportiness and sense of speed. A dedicated aerodynamic-focused design was adopted for door mirrors, outer door handles, and other exterior features.
- For the rear view, sportiness and dynamism were expressed by a design form curving inward from the side windows to the rear fenders, with the large-sized rear diffuser located underneath the bumper.
- The headlights create a clean and precise impression of the vehicle. In the lower portion of the headlights, white LED position lamps extend laterally for a futuristic look.
- With its highly functional and futuristic design, the interior of the CR-Z expresses sportiness and exhilaration suitable for the sporty hybrid.
- A sense of superior quality was pursued for the CR-Z’s interior space through various details including use of metallic thin film accents*3 for the center console and door handles.
- Functions necessary for driving are clustered on the driver’s side. With the Super 3D Meter in the middle, horizontal bar-shaped meters were positioned on both sides of the central meter ensuring high visibility and creating a futuristic appearance with the crystal-blue illumination.
*3 Standard on CR-Z
- The “Low (vehicle height), Short (wheelbase), Wide (tread)” package realizes dynamic and sporty styling that offers agile driving and handling.
- The low engine height and specially designed suspension layout allow for a low-slung hood and sporty driving position.
- The highest-curvature windshield among all Honda models and newly designed front pillars combine to offer wide forward visibility.
Powertrain (Hybrid System)
- Idling one of its two intake valves at low speeds, the 1.5-liter i-VTEC engine achieves ample power, outstanding fuel economy and excellent emissions performance at a high level. Supported by the IMA system, the engine achieves acceleration performance equivalent to a 2.0-liter gasoline engine and excellent low-speed torque.
- The dedicated 6-speed manual transmission offers light, smooth shifting for sporty driving, while the available CVT with paddle shifters supports both high fuel economy and sporty driving styles.
Three-Mode Drive System
- Providing unified control of the DBW (Drive-by-Wire), powertrain, transmission, EPS (Electric Power Steering) and air conditioner, Three-Mode Drive System allows for the selection of three distinct driving modes:
SPORT (fun, sporty driving): For the CR-Z with 6-speed manual transmission, the engine response and motor assist is heightened during SPORT mode. For CVT models, it selects transmission ratios that heighten engine rpms and acceleration response. For both CR-Z versions, this mode also enhances EPS response for a sporty steering feel and enhanced performance on winding roads.
NORMAL (balanced driving and fuel economy): This mode leverages IMA’s ample torque in the low rpm range to pursue ease of operation for everyday driving. EPS response is similarly balanced, and feels smooth and agile.
ECON (enhanced real-world fuel economy): This mode reduces throttle response, optimizes motor assist, controls the air conditioning efficiently and lengthens idle stops for maximal fuel economy.
- Providing real-time feedback in NORMAL and ECON drive modes, the ambient meter (speedometer ring) turns from blue to green when the driver engages in more fuel-efficient driving practices. In SPORT mode, the ring glows and remains red for a sportier feel.
- Cruise control is standard on the CR-Z α. Econ mode offers higher fuel economy cruise control than in NORMAL or SPORT modes by limiting throttle response and open/close frequency.
・In the front, MacPherson struts contribute to the CR-Z’s spaciousness, low height and low center of gravity, while the lower arms are made of forged aluminum to reduce weight. In the rear, a compact H-shaped torsion beam suspension allows for the placement of the IPU (Intelligent Power Unit) beneath the cargo area floor. In combination, these elements offer a sporty yet highly stable steering feel.
・The high-output EPS offers quick steering gear ratio of 2.48 turns lock to lock, while the rigidly attached steering gearbox contributes to the direct steering feel.
・The enhanced-design aluminum wheels*4 are a total of 5 kg lighter than those of the Insight,*5 and the tires with their sporty tread pattern contribute to agile driving.
*4 Standard on CR-Z ; factory option on CR-Z
*5 2009 Insight LS
- Made for agile and exhilarating driving and outstanding fuel economy, the body of the CR-Z is lightweight and highly rigid.
- Newly designed front pillars and door mirrors, an aerodynamic underbody and other specially designed parts allow the CR-Z to offer aerodynamic performance equivalent to the Insight*6 while featuring shorter and wider exterior styling that is usually a disadvantage in terms of aerodynamics.
- High-tensile steel is used effectively throughout the body, and the front pillar inner lower, side sill and middle floor cross member feature high-tensile steel rated 780 MPa or higher. In addition to reducing vehicle weight, high-tensile steel contributes to shock absorbency in the event of a collision.
- The CR-Z is designed throughout to shut out and absorb noise for exceptional quietness while allowing a satisfying acceleration sound in tune with engine rpms to reach the driver.
*6 2009 model
- Highly sophisticated packaging technologies enable the IPU of the Honda hybrid system to be located beneath the rear cargo area, realizing a cargo area with a length of 770 mm (during rear seat use), maximum width of 990 mm and volume of 214 .*7
- The one-touch fold-down rear seats are easy to access from the front seats. When they are folded down, the rear cargo area length extends to 1,280 mm and volume expands to 382 for exceptional utility.
*7 Honda calculations, VDA method; total cargo area (above and below floor) is 233
Honda HDD InterNavi System and Linkup Free Service
- Available as a factory option on all CR-Z models, the Honda HDD InterNavi System comes with the new Linkup Free service, the automobile industry’s first*8 free*9 car navigation data service. Any CR-Z owner with an InterNavi Premium Club membership will receive free renewal of this service when registered at an authorized Honda dealer at the time of each vehicle inspection required under Japanese law, for as long as he or she owns the vehicle.*10
*8 Honda research
*9 The factory option navigation equipment uses the PHS data network of WILLCOM, Inc. to transmit InterNavi Club information only; charges for hands-free conversations and data transfer using cellular phones and other telecommunications devices are the responsibility of the customer
*10 Membership renewal fee is free only when the owner uses an authorized Honda dealer for vehicle inspections and renewal procedure; a renewal fee is required when the procedure is performed at a non-authorized Honda facility
- The CR-Z offers exceptional fuel economy of 25.0 km/ (CVT) and 22.5 km/(MT) in 10:15 mode; and 22.8 km/ (CVT) and 20.6 km/ (MT) in JC08 mode.
- All models are certified by Japan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism as complying with the 2005 – 75% emissions standard.
- All models are certified by Japan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism as complying with the 2010 + 25% fuel economy standard.
- All models are eligible for Japan’s new preferential tax scheme for environmentally responsible vehicles (reduced automobile acquisition tax and automobile weight tax) and subsidy for environmentally responsible vehicles, introduced in April 2009.
- The Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure enhances self-protection as well as mitigating damage to other vehicles in the event of a collision.
- Pedestrian-injury mitigation technology helps protect pedestrians from head, leg and other injuries in the event of a collision.
- A driver’s i-SRS airbag system with continuously staged inflation, standard on all types, accommodates a broad range of occupant positions and physiques and potential collision situations.
- Along with the front seat i-side airbag system, the side curtain airbag system helps reduce the risk of head or neck injury in a side impact.*11
- Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®), which further improves stability during cornering, is standard equipment on all types.
*11 Factory option on all models except CR-Z with 6-speed manual transmission