Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 18th February 2010, 12:15   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Toyota faces new probe on Corolla steering

Just now saw this info on the the net

"""US regulators launched a preliminary investigation into reported steering problems on the Corolla sedan on Wednesday as Toyota Motor Corp faced questions from US lawmakers on whether it had ignored red flags on safety before a wave of vehicle recalls. """

Source :: Toyota faces new probe on Corolla steering- International Business-News-The Economic Times
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 12:15   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
To put things into perspective, almost 8 million Toyota's have been recalled worldwide. That's about 4 years of the entire 4 wheeler production in India.
Again shocked, but obviously for this fact! So its clear that it is not a scam and there is really something needs to be fixed in their cars.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 13:42   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Apparently there have already been over a 100 complaints about the driver losing control at high speeds in 2009 onwards Corolla's. The same car is sold as the Altis in India.

Of course, there is nothing to worry about the Indian Altis's. They are all safe.

I wonder why all these capable competitors kept quiet for so many decades. They could have brought out this 'scam' years back to 'take on' Toyota.
As an Altis owner all I will say is wait and watch though TKM have categorically stated that Indian cars are not affected. The recalls are due to faulty bought out parts sourced locally in the US and elsewhere. Fortunately the parts they use in India are made by Denso not CTC.

BTW, the steering issue relates to a drifting sensation at highway speeds. The car tramlines and drifts to the left or right. Happens all the time in India due to uneven road surfaces. Dont quite comprehend US owners' sensitivity to this problem. I havent faced an issue with the steering so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Again shocked, but obviously for this fact! So its clear that it is not a scam and there is really something needs to be fixed in their cars.
Fixes awaited for not just the cars but the work culture as well in a very large and famous Japanese corporation. I am sure they will fix it and there will be lessons learnt by not just Toyota but other car mfrs worldwide. You may have noticed a spate of recalls by Peugeot, VW and Honda after this crisis engulfed Toyota.

Cheers!
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 13:46   #169
Senior - BHPian

Luckily none of the cars in India have been recalled. OR may be when it goes to service station they are fixing the problems. I don't know the facts. But after seeing one by one all the models have been recalled you never know.
Old 18th February 2010, 23:07   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toyota has said that it will add a brake-override system to all new vehicles as it seeks to recover from a global car recall
Experts, Does it mean current Toyotas are missing some thing that other vehicles already got?
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 15:57   #171
Senior - BHPian

Just now got the info that "Toyota head prepares for Congress grilling on recalls"

Source :: Toyota head prepares for Congress grilling on recalls- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 21st February 2010, 13:53   #172
Senior - BHPian

Just read that BMW has recalled X5 and X6 for brake problems.

Source : http://***************.com/2010/02/b...5-and-x6-in-us
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:34   #173
Senior - BHPian

Default US Transportation officials aware of Toyota problems in 2003

The secret is out.

Link:: US Transportation officials aware of Toyota problems in 2003 - International Business - Biz - The Times of India
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:38   #174
Senior - BHPian

Default Post Toyota fiasco, Japan to review car recall system

This is good move so that the defects when encountered is rectified then and there itself rather than carrying for years together and do a recall.

Quote:
Japan’s transport ministry may review and improve its car recall system, reports said Sunday, as Toyota Motor battles accusations it may have delayed acting on drivers’ complaints
Source :: Post Toyota fiasco, Japan to review car recall system- International Business-News-The Economic Times
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:05   #175

Default Has Toyota moved fast enough to fix their pedal problem?

YES
NO

Please vote here:
Has Toyota moved fast enough to fix their pedal problem? | myCarQnA
bmw530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 13:54   #176
Senior - BHPian

Default Toyota chief faces US congress spotlight

Quote:
Toyota Motor Corp's president braced for tough questions from a US congressional panel on Wednesday after the Japanese automaker conceded it had let safety standards slip and could still not explain most incidents of unintended acceleration
Source :: Toyota chief faces US congress spotlight- International Business-News-The Economic Times

Last edited by shishir_bn : 24th February 2010 at 13:54. Reason: forgot title
Old 24th February 2010, 16:09   #177
Senior - BHPian

Default Toyota - Japan Inc's Reputation

Interesting read.

The reputation of Japan's manufacturing sector rides on Toyota and it's founder's grandson Akio Toyoda's appearance in front of a US Congressional committee. If a single company could symbolise all of Japan's manufacturing and technical expertise, Toyota is that company. Regrettable to see them in this state.

Japan Inc.'s reputation rides on Toyoda - CNN.com

Cheers!
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 03:32   #178
Senior - BHPian

Default Toyota unsure if recalls suffice

Today's headlines in The Washinton Post say so.

When James Lentz, President of Toyota Motor Sales USA was asked by a Congressman "Do you believe that recall on the carpet changes and the recalls on the sticky pedals will solve the problem of sudden, unintended acceleration?" ,his response was 'Not totaly. We need to continue to be vigilant and continue to investigate all of the complaints we get from customers--that we have done a relatively poor job of doing in the past."

One of the lady customers who faced the ordeal and testified before the House also said "Shame on you, Toyota for being so greedy, and shame on you NHTSA for not doing your job".
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 09:16   #179
Senior - BHPian

Default Toyota chief formally apologizes for auto defects

Quote:
Toyota president Akio Toyoda on Wednesday formally apologized for deadly auto defects that drove the world's top carmaker into crisis and vowed to work hard to rebuild shattered faith in the firm
Source :: Toyota chief formally apologizes for auto defects- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 25th February 2010, 09:57   #180
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Hearings: Transportation Secretary Pledges Investigation Into Toyota Electronics

Toyota Hearings: Transportation Secretary Pledges Investigation Into Toyota Electronics

WASHINGTON — In an appearance that was marked by defensiveness and even outright belligerence, U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood pledged to lawmakers that the federal government will begin investigating concerns about the electronics in Toyota vehicles and any role they may play in sudden acceleration. LaHood spoke at congressional hearings on Wednesday.

"We will get in the weeds on this to find out if electronics are part of the problem," said LaHood. "If we find a problem, we will make sure it's resolved."
However, he did not specify if the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which would oversee such an investigation, is about to open up a defects investigation or recall regarding Toyota's electronic throttle control systems, which have come under question, or whether electromagnetic interference is part of the problem. LaHood testified that "some people believe electromagnetic interference [may] have a dangerous effect on these vehicles."
LaHood's appearance was preceded by another verbal whipping by lawmakers aimed at NHTSA and Toyota. Rep. Edolphus Towns (D-New York), chairman of the oversight and government reform committee, began the hearing by proclaiming, "If the [Toyota] Camry and Prius were airplanes, they would be grounded."
"Is it safe to drive these cars?" Towns mused. "Is Toyota now serious about solving the problem?"
The hearing provided insight into how the government has been hampered in its ability to get a handle on the problems with Toyota's recalled vehicles. After being pressed by lawmakers, LaHood admitted that the federal government is incapable of reading the information in so-called black boxes in Toyota vehicles. This nugget of information was gleaned from an e-mailed message that legislators got their hands on. It showed NHTSA asking Toyota for help in downloading data from an event recorder in the case of a January accident in Texas. "It would appear that NHTSA is unable to download this data on its own without Toyota's presence," said Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D- D.C.).
LaHood replied that NHTSA can only read data from GM, Ford and Chrysler. "Toyota has a proprietary system that only they can read," he said.
"This is what I mean by the culture of secrecy," fumed Norton. "Would your agency allow that kind of secrecy to continue?"
"No," LaHood replied tersely.
When asked if there should be a federal standard addressing that issue, LaHood said: "Let me get back to you on that."
At one point during the hearing, LaHood — who often raised his voice — told one lawmaker: "Just because I've raised the decibel in my voice doesn't mean I'm mad."
Lawmakers and LaHood emphasized the "culture of secrecy" at Toyota, with Norton describing it as a "notorious culture of secrecy.... Have you had difficulty in penetrating the Toyota culture?" she asked LaHood.
"We've had some issues," he said. "[That's why] I picked up the phone and I talked personally to [Akio] Toyoda [president of Toyota Motor Corp.] and told him these are serious matters and you need to take them seriously."
LaHood said Toyota is "safety deaf.
"I also believe their business model for communicating between North America and Japan needs some change," he said. "They need to listen to one another and hear what one another is saying."
Lawmakers castigated LaHood because Toyota employs former NHTSA officials. "GM, Ford and Chrysler [don't] have anybody who formerly worked for NHTSA," noted Rep. Dan Burton (R-Indiana). LaHood said the "law probably should be tightened up" regarding former NHTSA officials going to work for an automaker, a situation that Burton described as a "sweetheart arrangement."
Lawmakers also wanted to know why David Strickland, the new NHTSA administrator, is not on the docket to testify. "Mr. Strickland has been on the job for 40 days," said LaHood. "I'm not going to have our administrator appear. I'm taking responsibility for this. I'm going to be accountable."
"Don't get mad at me, Ray," responded Burton, who had pressed for Strickland's testimony.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote