Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 30th January 2010, 00:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default The car with the $6.2 million license plate !!

Yesterday while driving to work I happened to cahnce upon the car. The plate on it is the second most expensive plate ever and cost a cool $ 6.2 million.

Its funny the car is probably worth around 25% of what the plate costs, thats some heavy baggage for even a RR to carry around !

The owners brother has the most expensive plate ever, its the number "1" of this 5 series issued in Abu Dhabi
Attached Thumbnails
The car with the .2 million license plate !!-img_5214.jpg  

The car with the .2 million license plate !!-img_5213.jpg  

The car with the .2 million license plate !!-img_5215.jpg  

wasif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 00:39   #2
BHPian

Steal that plate. Hell if it was $6.2 million I'm sure we can get at least $3.1 in the black market LOL.

It never fails to amaze me how people with too much money spend it. And they wonder how the shaikh of Dubai went bankrupt.
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 01:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Steal that plate. Hell if it was $6.2 million I'm sure we can get at least $3.1 in the black market LOL.

It never fails to amaze me how people with too much money spend it. And they wonder how the shaikh of Dubai went bankrupt.
Dude the money raised from the sale of this and other vanity plates goes to a charity that helps accident victims and such.

In other words the owner is giving away that money and its not really for the plate as such.

And for that matter Sheik Mohammed of Dubai is doing very well thank you! He's not going to be found filing for chapter14 protection for a while to come.

To get an idea of what the plate costs you need to multiply the 6.2 mill by 3.68 to get the dirham value of the plate and then multiply that by 12 to get the value in Indian Rupees !!

Let me tell you of another local guy. They wanted to buy an Enzo that cost 3.0 mill but the factory wouldn't sell it to them as they had not owned the required two Ferrari's before so they got a bit upset. Then a super car dealer brought one over from the UK and wanted 6.0 mill for it. They called him and told him to have the car sent to their house and that they would pay in cash !! The dealer is Princess Cars and the most buisy thing in his shop is the cash counting machine !

Last edited by wasif : 30th January 2010 at 01:09.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 03:28   #4
BHPian

Hey waisf, is it because of number 5 he has paid so much money or the plate?
if plate what's special in that?
Sudan_NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 04:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Hey waisf, is it because of number 5 he has paid so much money or the plate?
if plate what's special in that?
It's obviously for the number! The plate does have something special, the $ 6.2 mn number.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 12:38   #6
BHPian

thats a cool number, but then again he paid a 'cool' $6.2 million to get it

nice gesture on the part of the people who buy such expensive numbers for a good cause!
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 19:00   #7
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2010 at 11:17.
arunsasi is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 30th January 2010, 20:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Dude the money raised from the sale of this and other vanity plates goes to a charity that helps accident victims and such.

To get an idea of what the plate costs you need to multiply the 6.2 mill by 3.68 to get the dirham value of the plate and then multiply that by 12 to get the value in Indian Rupees !!

Let me tell you of another local guy. They wanted to buy an Enzo that cost 3.0 mill but the factory wouldn't sell it to them as they had not owned the required two Ferrari's before so they got a bit upset. Then a super car dealer brought one over from the UK and wanted 6.0 mill for it. They called him and told him to have the car sent to their house and that they would pay in cash !! The dealer is Princess Cars and the most buisy thing in his shop is the cash counting machine !
1) If it's for charity then great, I doubt the same applies to India, hence my comment. (Thought the money went to the state)

2) Can't I simply multiply it by 46.27 to get the rupee value

3) That story doesn't impress me whatsoever. Great to hear it and all, but I consider that stupidity as he would've spent a lot less buying 2 Ferraris and then the Enzo. The fact that he threw money in such a way seems a little offensive. Great you have a ton of money, you still need to respect it!

Cheers

PS: I hope you don't take any offense to my post.
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 21:35   #9
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Literally speaking this would be the most expensive "registration number". I've heard there is always a competition amongst the royal families on who manages to obtain the sigle digit regn.

The most expensive "registration plate" I believe (not sure where I have read it) is on a certain Range Rover belonging to some royal in the Middle East. The plate is studded with diamonds and costs double of the RR.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 08:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Guys whats so special about the plate ? When i read the thread's title i thought i was going to see a diamond jewelled /crusted number plate.

But really why ? i still dont get it.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 11:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
1) If it's for charity then great, I doubt the same applies to India, hence my comment. (Thought the money went to the state)

2) Can't I simply multiply it by 46.27 to get the rupee value

3) That story doesn't impress me whatsoever. Great to hear it and all, but I consider that stupidity as he would've spent a lot less buying 2 Ferraris and then the Enzo. The fact that he threw money in such a way seems a little offensive. Great you have a ton of money, you still need to respect it!

Cheers

PS: I hope you don't take any offense to my post.
The math was to illustrate what it cost in Dirhams and in rupees.

They do respect the money and is doesn't coem without any efforts, its earned so how they choose to spend it is their call entirely.

I just was sharing those pics of that plate on that car there is nothing specail about it I guess but the fact that its was a very good plate as far as certain charities go.
Old 31st January 2010, 11:55   #12
BHPian

Come to think of it, even the single digits we pay for go towards charity. The only difference being, it goes towards some Politician's Home Charity
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 12:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Guys whats so special about the plate ? When i read the thread's title i thought i was going to see a diamond jewelled /crusted number plate.

But really why ? i still dont get it.
Me too. Is it because of the single digit? If yes, how about 1/2/9 etc? Will they also cost more? Or does 5 represents any holy figure in middle east? Pls help understand.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 12:29   #14
BHPian

Strange enough that the car's value is around 3.5 Cr INR and the number plate is around 29 Cr INR!!
hiren959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 13:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Me too. Is it because of the single digit? If yes, how about 1/2/9 etc? Will they also cost more? Or does 5 represents any holy figure in middle east? Pls help understand.
The number "1" in that series is in the book of world records as the most expensive plate. It was purchased by the guy's brother !

There is no religious or any other significanes of these plates but a matter of prestige to have a very early number thats all.