Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 4th February 2010, 05:21   #16
BHPian

Mercedes, BMW, BMW, Mustang, Mustang, Kawasaki Ninja600, Accord, BMW, Yamaha R6, Audi, Audi, two Nissan's and one Toyota - List of cars that me and my friends from undergrad who came to US own/owned. All of us are first generation and been in this country for less than 10 years.

I think it has got to do with attitudes of the people and the times we live in rather than people being 2nd generation NRI kids. People who grew up in 70's and 80's Raj economy placed emphasis on reliability and durability. People who grew up in post reform India do not place the same emphasis on those qualities. If German marquees are affordable at Japanese prices, then I am sure Indians would be buying more Bimmers and Merc's than Civic's and Altis.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 21:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

The usual pattern with people who've come to the US say 10-15 years ago,they start with the usual Honda/Toyota/Nissan cars, and as time goes by the usual jump for the next car is BMW/Lexus/Merc/Cadillac.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 21:37   #18
BHPian

^^ Acura sells decent numbers too.
equinox22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 21:58   #19
BHPian

It all boils down to budget.

We all lust after the sporty cars, the sports cars and the supercars. what matters is when the time comes to pick one up, which one would you go for?

When the budget is set we will settle for anything that fits our personality and wallet.

If a 16/17 year old was looking at a new Civic and was able to get a 3 year old Merc C or Bimmer 330i/335i for the same price, chances are he'd pick the german over the jap.

There is a huge fan following for the sporty jap cars, Honda definitely has the market there, so does Mitsubishi, Subaru, Mazda and Nissan. Toyota currently doesn't have a good sporty car out yet, but their subsidiary Scion does, and Scion is doing really well there.

I'd say that this isn't special to NRI kids. It's the fact that they have access to a wider variety of cars at great prices. Here in India there is no dearth of kids below 18 who have cars that range from 5 lakhs to 50 lakhs (And above) so apply the same logic to the other international markets. A kid with US $12,000 can buy a pretty good second hand car in the US. When you look at all the teens with the Civics and Cedias in India, that's roughly US $ 30,000 they can get a 3 series or C class for that money, if the same situation were to exist in India, would the kid pick the Civic/Cedia or the C/3? Think about that..

Cheers
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 22:36   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

My US-settled friend, his family and me are driving down to D.C. and a CRV overtakes us. We are in a Honda Odyssey van. My friend's elder kid (all of 6 years then) says, "Thats a girl's car".

I was like . Hey, guys pay 16L+ for that same thing in India and this 6-year old just relegated it to the trash-bin, oh so casually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit
I have a feeling this thread will get locked soon.
Surprising that I also have the same feeling. A Honda and boring ? Surefire way to get locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar
And since what I found is in stark contrast to what is held of these two brands in India, I put it down here.
What is held of these brands in India ? Just another Jap brand, that's about it. They do what a Suzuki does, but at a higher cost of ownership. That's about it.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 22:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
My US-settled friend, his family and me are driving down to D.C. and a CRV overtakes us. We are in a Honda Odyssey van. My friend's elder kid (all of 6 years then) says, "Thats a girl's car".

I was like . Hey, guys pay 16L+ for that same thing in India and this 6-year old just relegated it to the trash-bin, oh so casually.

What is held of these brands in India ? Just another Jap brand, that's about it. They do what a Suzuki does, but at a higher cost of ownership. That's about it.
More or less same words were used at the mention of H&T by these 7 to 12 year old kids whom i spoke to. I dared not print the invective they used for fear of being labelled an H&T basher.

I agree with you. Suzuki has been the underdog among the Jap cars but they are in no way inferior to the best of Japs.

Last edited by pgsagar : 4th February 2010 at 22:53.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 00:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

they are just being rebellious. because NRI kids don't do as much drugs and other stuff, this is how they torment their parents.

seriously, if you see your parents praising a particular brand through out their life, either you will praise it too, or hate it from the core of your heart. latter is more likely in an open minded society.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 02:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

The Honda CRV is gonna cost around 30 lacs now in India!
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 21:11   #24
BHPian

Is this perception only specific to 2nd gen Indian-American kids or all Americans?

The average American, like a person from any other country, is not a car enthusiast and so is more interested in comfort, reliability, fuel economy etc. than outright performance and handling. So, the average car sold, almost by definition is relegated to the non-enthusiast category. Cars in this category include the Camry, Accord, Civic, Corolla etc.. Kids who talk about cars usually fall in the enthusiast category and aim for the cooler cars and the average car is not cool.

And let's face it, there are hardly any cars from Honda and Toyota targeting the enthusiast except for the S2000 - which does have a cult following - and the Civic Si.

American kids have a lot more choice than us Indians and many of them can realistically aspire to own one of these cars
- Nissan has the 370Z, the GTR, the Maxima. Infiniti has the G lineup
- BMW has the 1, the 3, the Z, the Ms
- Mercedes has the AMGs, though very expensive
- Ford has the Mustang, the GT
- Chevrolet has the Camaro, the Corvette
- Mazda has the Miata, Speed3
- Etc

Looking at the above, I will not be too surprised if indeed your assertion that 2nd gen Indian-Americans find the H/Ts boring is true.
tacho is offline   Reply With Quote