Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 4th March 2010, 16:05   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm confused. I don't yhink this is either the smallest Audi, nor the first "city" Audi.

I remember an Audi (fifteen to twenty years ago?) that was supposed to fill the small-but luxury gap in the market. It looked cute, but, iirc, was not a good car to drive. One quirk was a radiator grill that opened to reveal the filler points for oil and water --- it was only necessary to open the bonnet for service!

Please... hostorians... tell me I didn't dream this. I thought it had been called the A1 --- but the internet reminded me that the older Audis were something-hundred models, and I can't find any older A1.

As for this A1... Love it; Want one!

I don't expect that Audi are ever going to make one of their cars cheaper for for India, so, just as I have never been able to afford one in UK, I'm not going to here either. VAG marketing is simple: Can't afford an Audi? Buy a VW. Can't afford a VW? Buy a Skoda.

Two doors (well, "three" in hatchback language) is a really good idea for a small car. It gives much cleaner lines. For the single/lone driver, or even the couple, those extra two doors are largely irrelevant anyway. Once the children come along, of course, all that changes.

I'm afraid that here, even the young, well-off car buyer is not going to see it that way: Never mind the airbags, they will say, give me the right number of doors for my money!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 17:57   #32
BHPian

@ Thad E Ginathom
That was the Audi A2 Audi A2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 22:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Raja... I suppose it must have been. I was thinking it was older and smaller than that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote