Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 11th February 2010, 13:09   #1
BHPian

Default Interesting article on Chinese copying of car designs

Please see the link below on Chinese copying of Toyota Corolla design for BYD F3 car model :

Here Is Exactly How Warren Buffett's Chinese Auto Company BYD Copied Competitor Designs Piece By Piece
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 16:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Interesting article on Chinese copying of car designs

Quote:
Volkswagen is trying to find out whether partner China FAW Group Corp. illegally copied a VW transmission unit, the Wall Street Journal reported
Quote:
If true, the reports could complicate Volkswagen's ambitious plans for expansion in China. The automaker plans to spend 14 billion euros (109 billion yuan) through 2016 to build assembly plants and introduce new models in China
http://europe.autonews.com/apps/pbcs...d-transmission
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 22:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is heights of copying.

The older generation Sonata looked like the Jaguar S type. I was wild at that design copy, but the Chinese copying the same part by part , step by step is really frustrating. The Geely-GE looks like a Rolls/Maybach

- Whenever a new model is launched, there are numerous patents filed. Could not Toyota file some copyright / patent misuse case against the chinese manufacturer ?

Can anyone throw lights on this please

Last edited by scopriobharath : 6th August 2012 at 22:48.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 05:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
This is heights of copying.

The older generation Sonata looked like the Jaguar S type. I was wild at that design copy, but the Chinese copying the same part by part , step by step is really frustrating. The Geely-GE looks like a Rolls/Maybach

- Whenever a new model is launched, there are numerous patents filed. Could not Toyota file some copyright / patent misuse case against the chinese manufacturer ?

Can anyone throw lights on this please
You could say Sonata was "inspired" by the Jag, the Chinese copy the entire car and claim it to be the original

There's been numerous cases against the manufacturers but the success rate is pretty low. Here's a list I found -- Chinese Cars - China Motor Vehicle Documentation Centre - Lawsuits
fre2bpowerless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 06:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Given the recent judgement on the lawsuit filed by Apple against the fake Apple Store in China, where Apple Inc lost, it appears that one cannot really expect the Chinese Courts to uphold justice as regards fakery.

Is there any wonder then, that the Chinese manufacturers have a field day by copying pretty much everything in sight?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 07:53   #6
BHPian

At some level I think this is a brilliant strategy, China is encouraging its own people to develop decent products and progress faster albeit by copying. What is the harm in this copying any way. I mean what do the Chinese owe VW or Toyota or any one for that matter. These cars will not be allowed outside of China anyway and even if they are exported I am sure the countries to which they go will be embracers of the Chinese methodology.

I feel India should develop this mind set too and before I get chastised let me put my reasons.
Most machinery or cars or for that matter any product made by these so called big conglomerates is expensive as hell, so the end result is that the population either pays through the nose or they dont buy the commodity in question.
In both cases the biggest loser is the end user and the nation as a whole, the biggest loss being that of productivity.

So why not let us Indians copy existing technology, God knows are people need these things more than others. I mean be it tractors, farm equipment or any other important machinery for that matter, if these were available at say half the price, I am sure a lot more people would buy.

And come to think of it people who will say that than we wont have foreign investors or what not in the fear of being copied, look at China I say, as that is a most excellent example, Companies even wanting to not go there are going and getting good sales too.
India is not very different from China, we have the same population, Ok less land but compare India and China and we find that one is a dragon power while the other is merely a timid puppy running helter skelter trying to please everyone. Do we even have another industry apart from IT, shocking isnt it
eq24 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 08:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Came across this Chinese A Star copy cat in wheel o mania site Zotye Z100, Maruti A-Star clone, is china's cheapest car ~ Wheel-O-Mania
This is by Zoyte the Chinese parent of Premier Rio.
Attached Images

rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 09:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
India is not very different from China, we have the same population, Ok less land but compare India and China and we find that one is a dragon power while the other is merely a timid puppy running helter skelter trying to please everyone. Do we even have another industry apart from IT, shocking isnt it
India is significantly different from China in terms of mind-set. Another thing that is peculiar to us is the "loose-ness" and "dis-unity", where community considerations always overcome the greater good of the "Nation" as a whole. A clear lack of National Pride seems to hallmark all of us, from the politicos to the common people!

India did invest in manufacturing but under the protectionist economy, we let things slide, not keeping in touch with reality and best practices which were at that time, the preserve of the "West". Little wonder then, that right through the '60's, '70's, '80's and '90's, we had a severe "brain drain" with brilliant people running away from here to seek better lives abroad. What did we do to keep them back? Nothing!

Our manufacturing was in a decline when up popped this brilliant new thingy - the "Knowledge based economy", driven largely by IT and innovation. I think that guys like Sam Pitroda and Dewang Mehta and others were really instrumental in creating or helping to guide the policy makers of that era into allowing the Entrepreneurs to go forth. Harnessing the brains and resources of a zillion qualified Indians, to provide "services" to the world! Excellent indeed! In the '90's the billing rates were fantastic, all in USD and suddenly the world changed! IT has far surpassed the Indian manufacturing industry today.

After "opening up their doors" the Chinese used their tremendous attitude towards "industry:" by developing gigantic manufacturing set ups with the active participation and help from their new liberalized government. Their other advantage is an extremely hard working nature, strong work ethic and burning desire to succeed at any cost to themselves. Little wonder then, that they have merrily overtaken us Indians, who in general, are lazy fellows and "short-cut" experts!

I dont think that we in India can even hope to catch up with China in another 40 to 50 years! They are so far ahead that they are a small dot which is disappearing into the distance/ horizon at a rapid pace! Mark my words, within the next one generation they will surpass us in the one single advantage we yet have over them - the fact that our knowledge of English as a common business language, is superior. Not for long though, if our politicos have their way and promote only the regional languages!

My submission is that the Chinese are a united lot, where we are NOT!
A democracy such as ours is an un-governable, corrupt, lazy, dis-united, communal, parochial, sycophantic mockery of a country. We really need to buck up or be beaten into submission!

We require to be "led" by a benevolent and far seeing force, because we cannot lead ourselves anywhere meaningful.

I know this is a strong statement which will not be palatable to many, but I submit that 65 years of Independence and the situation we are in in 2012 is proof enough of the above statement.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 09:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
India is significantly different from China in terms of mind-set. Another thing that is peculiar to us is the "loose-ness" and "dis-unity", where community considerations always overcome the greater good of the "Nation" as a whole. A clear lack of National Pride seems to hallmark all of us, from the politicos to the common people!

India did invest in manufacturing but under the protectionist economy, we let things slide, not keeping in touch with reality and best practices which were at that time, the preserve of the "West". Little wonder then, that right through the '60's, '70's, '80's and '90's, we had a severe "brain drain" with brilliant people running away from here to seek better lives abroad. What did we do to keep them back? Nothing!

Our manufacturing was in a decline when up popped this brilliant new thingy - the "Knowledge based economy", driven largely by IT and innovation. I think that guys like Sam Pitroda and Dewang Mehta and others were really instrumental in creating or helping to guide the policy makers of that era into allowing the Entrepreneurs to go forth. Harnessing the brains and resources of a zillion qualified Indians, to provide "services" to the world! Excellent indeed! In the '90's the billing rates were fantastic, all in USD and suddenly the world changed! IT has far surpassed the Indian manufacturing industry today.

After "opening up their doors" the Chinese used their tremendous attitude towards "industry:" by developing gigantic manufacturing set ups with the active participation and help from their new liberalized government. Their other advantage is an extremely hard working nature, strong work ethic and burning desire to succeed at any cost to themselves. Little wonder then, that they have merrily overtaken us Indians, who in general, are lazy fellows and "short-cut" experts!

I dont think that we in India can even hope to catch up with China in another 40 to 50 years! They are so far ahead that they are a small dot which is disappearing into the distance/ horizon at a rapid pace! Mark my words, within the next one generation they will surpass us in the one single advantage we yet have over them - the fact that our knowledge of English as a common business language, is superior. Not for long though, if our politicos have their way and promote only the regional languages!

My submission is that the Chinese are a united lot, where we are NOT!
A democracy such as ours is an un-governable, corrupt, lazy, dis-united, communal, parochial, sycophantic mockery of a country. We really need to buck up or be beaten into submission!

We require to be "led" by a benevolent and far seeing force, because we cannot lead ourselves anywhere meaningful.

I know this is a strong statement which will not be palatable to many, but I submit that 65 years of Independence and the situation we are in in 2012 is proof enough of the above statement.
Very well said Sir, there is always something about the way you write that ensures goose bumps in the end.
My comparison was that on physical numbers and not actual value based. India is truly a dying land where might is right and corruption rules supreme.

What is worrying is what will happen to us if the system prevails for some years. I believe we will be so lost in our own foolish problems and will be further and further away from reality.

Without a unified leadership and someone to show us the way this country is doomed into the history books as the great nation that once was.

Wake up people is all I can say.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 10:30   #10
BANNED

Quote:

whatever china may do there economy is still growing and i think being protectionist of there economy is helping them, i read your rant seems relevant but tell me what are you doing to make a this situation better nothing, we can all rant what we want to and i agree with most of the things you say but i believe we need more action that words.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th August 2012 at 16:21. Reason: Trimmed the long post quote for benefit of mobile users.
Mindgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 10:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
whatever china may do there economy is still growing and i think being protectionist of there economy is helping them, i read your rant seems relevant but tell me what are you doing to make a this situation better nothing, we can all rant what we want to and i agree with most of the things you say but i believe we need more action that words.
Fair enough but can I ask you, what would you have him do and I know that sentiment can be construed as another excuse for doing nothing but in the current scenario is one man enough, haven't we seen what happened to the man who wanted to make a change, last I heard people were burning his posters.

The point is there is no unified movement to curb this all. One man may stand up and claim that he will bring about change or even at the very least do something different but at what cost, he will either be ridiculed or shunned or God forbid killed.

This is how our country stands right now.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 11:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
India is significantly different from China in terms of mind-set...
The Chinese attitude to industry is exactly what is wrong here, there is no particular work ethic that marks out the Chinese, the only thing in their favour, from an industrialist's point of view, is that state terror keeps the population in line.

They are better than us at laziness and short-cuts, which is why they are faking entire products, that is not R&D by any stretch of imagination. I am pretty certain that China will face another serious political upheaval in the next half century, they have a long way to go before they catch up with us in English.

You might have a fascination for the Singapore style dictatorship, from which China takes inspiration, the problem that China has is that once people get rich they need freedom.The Joke is that rich people in China would like to go to a place where they don't get jailed for saying that they are not happy while being rich. If the Chinese were so confident of their success, they would have a free press.

The Chinese haven't done what the South Koreans did, protecting their industry while actually developing world class companies, intellectual property rights are non existent in China. Western businesses don't admit to it because of the large market.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 11:33   #13
BHPian

Whats interesting about China other than this copying business is that certain manufacturing companies have moved up and are matching Japanese quality levels. At a dentists clinic we all see the precision instruments right? This was limited to being manufactured in countries like Japan or Switzerland or any other high tech euro country. Not anymore. My colleagues at an event marketing company in China say the chinese are set to start this type of manufacturing soon!

I feel there is no harm in copying the underlying fundamentals as long as you do not annoy the world. When the "gulsar" was launched Bajaj went about complaining that it was an indigenous design, until the Japanese design house informed everyone that it was not purely an "indian design". Result is the gulsar still sells in China. No egos hurt, & the original pulsar is still dominant in India and barely any Indian buyer knows about the gulsar.

It's a given that filing any sort of case in China by any other country is futile. The court only goes in favour of the chinese company. And if the world including google wants to be desperately in China, it's quite obvious that the reason is ploughing back money from their chinese operations.

Last edited by Ford5 : 7th August 2012 at 11:35.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 11:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

The important components in any industry are the people. With the revenue/profit of Chinese companies, they will hire the best people in premium areas and will be able to compete with anyone in the world.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 12:23   #15
BHPian

>>>

1. There is a snide remark attributed to the remarkable ability of copying by the Sinic :

We can copy everything except your mother.

2. The Sinic civilisation always had centralised centres of political authority and a fairly uniform/ unitary ethnic characteristic; on both these counts India differs completely

3. The Sinic drive toward economic growth has as its central driver the sustenance of (what we can term as an euphemism) the political establishment; we do not have that as our ostensible central driver

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote