Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 27th September 2005, 20:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Ok, back on the topic guys. There is another thread about the German's vs the rest of the world.
And now back to the topic
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 22:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Yep. I stayed there for few months and most of the cars on road where either Merc, BMW, Audi or VW. Among my colleagues, most of them had german cars and only our consultant's wife had a Nissan. Among small cars, we used to see Ford Ka. There used to be a nice advt of Ka. May be because I was staying in Stuttgart, which is industrial hub of Germany. Even when we rented a car for weekend trip to Paris, we got a BMW.
@RX135, Steeroid & RTech :

most of the electronic components are made in China/South Korea/Thailand etc
BUT
difference is
In Chinese company making product in China R&D team, Top managment is Chinese
In European company producing product in China R&D team, Top managment are based in Europe

why this argument fails is because a European company setting plant in China isn't looking for new R&D engineers, what they are looking for is working hands as cheap as possible
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 22:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Yalla lets ask the Germans firsthand when we go for de oktoberfest...we'll start by offering them Tsingtao, which if you dont know, goes with the catchphrase "probably the most tasted beer in the world"
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 23:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Gurkha rightly said that the French have employed strict protectionist policies in the interest of their automotive industry. But these policies have been relaxed over the years. Honda and Toyota are now in the initial stages of taking a significant share of the French market. Renault/Peugeot/VW still dominate and are lightyears ahead of the japs in terms of market share. The nationalistic feeling is highlighted by the fact that even the private insurance firms set a lower premium on Renault/Peugeot/Citroen as compared to any other brand even european ones such as VW, Seat etc. This makes it much more cheaper to own French cars in France.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 00:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Yalla lets ask the Germans firsthand when we go for de oktoberfest...we'll start by offering them Tsingtao, which if you dont know, goes with the catchphrase "probably the most tasted beer in the world"
Not an expert when it comes to wines and alcohols. So what is Tsingtao? It sounds like some chinese drink BTW, You can offer any beer to Germans, but not american. It's too light for their taste. They rather relish Sect (I hope, I got that spelling right).
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 00:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and your friend really made a poor deal I would say, I wouldnt even pick a phaeton over a TSX...(not really, but still you know what i mean) TSX is a great car and the only car probably you can compare it to in the VW lineup is jetta and that is such an ugly car, with hardly a better drive if that...
The customer chose the new Passat over the Acura TSX. A very good decision indeed. The TSX is nothing but a glamourous Accord. It's also way more costly then the Jetta. The top end Jetta with 2.0L FSI engine and 6 speed DSG rounds of at $28,800 as compared to TSX which retails at $34,900. If it was the old passat I would agree with you, but the new passat is a great car. The guy came in and said he had made up his mind on the TSX but read about the new Passat and just dropped in to check it out. 40 mins and a test drive later he bought the car. His reasons : the Passat is a much bigger car, gives you more luxury , more standard features, drives & rides better and has better quality interiors then the Acura.

Quote:
I dont know how canadians drive, but surely in the US the 350Z is not considered unreliable
How does a peson's driving technique determine how reliable or unreliable the car is? This is like saying your friends 7 series door handle came into his hands because of the way he used to open and close the door

Quote:
Sure, but that is no excuse that since you are putting high tech gizmos in the car they become unreliable..if you cant produce it to spec, then dont bother putting it in, and if you are putting it in, then bother to make it closer to flawless than flawed..
I agree with you on this. I have always said mercedes need to do more research on the electronic gizmo's before putting them into production cars. They seem to be hurrying up with these things and it's only hurting them. The Japs are smart. Lexus and Acura will have the same stuff in their cars in a few years but they are waiting for Mercedes to iron out the electronic issues. They are basically learning from Mercedes mistakes. Needless to add, when lexus or Acura come with these things they will be reliable. Maybe Mercedes is feeling the pressure to launch new technologies first. Don't know what but they need to go back to making good solid reliable cars like they used to. Good news is they know the problems and are working on it.

Though, I am not a big fan of Japanese cars I must say some of their cars are brilliant. Nissan 350Z, Maxima, even Altima are great cars. The Infiniti G35 coupe and Acura TL look awesome.
Anyway, back to the topic. It's going to be a long long time before the Chinese make any dent in the European or world markets. Anyway, the survey results say 86% of Germans will buy a German car next and 48% will buy French and Japanese cars. So I guess Germans still desire German cars..
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 01:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Tsingtao is the chinese equivalent of Kingfisher. They claim it sells more litres than any other beer on the planet.

Their bottle and their advertising is an unabashed copy of Carlsberg's bottle and advertising. Since Carlsberg advertises as "Probably the best beer in the world", Tsingtao goes "Probably the most tasted beer in the world"

http://www.tsingtaobeer.com/index.htm

As you can see on the website, its pronounced Ching-dow
Old 28th September 2005, 01:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They claim it sells more litres than any other beer on the planet.
how did the chinese come to that conclusion? I thought Heinkein or Carlsberg was the largest selling beer in the world..

I have never heard of this beer. hey steeriod, I guess you have tasted this beer? How was it?
Old 28th September 2005, 06:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

I didn't want to start a new topic so this post goes in here. Mazda has stopped selling the Mazda 5 amid reports of head build up in the exhaust that could lead to fires. There have been 3 reports of fires and the company is now trying to solve the issue.
Meanwhile, Cadillac sunroofs have started falling on the passengers at speeds of 60-65 mph!
Old 28th September 2005, 06:56   #40
Team-BHP Support

Coming back to the original topic, I think these Chinese car buyers would be East Germans who used to buy Trabants and Warturgs. Just imagine how a Chinese car would feel after a BMW or a Mercedes.
But yes, 20 years down the line China may well be making respectable cars.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 11:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
how did the chinese come to that conclusion? I thought Heinkein or Carlsberg was the largest selling beer in the world..

I have never heard of this beer. hey steeriod, I guess you have tasted this beer? How was it?
They may be right - they have the population and unlike Carls or Heiniken, Tsingtao doesnt have to fight it out with a few hundred other brands and a few thousand local brands across Europe. The Americans drink something that tastes like barleywater, so that leaves the US of A out.

If Chinese beer is a measure of how good or bad their cars are, I'll buy Jialing cars over Holden. Yeah, its better than Fosters...
Old 28th September 2005, 11:39   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The Americans drink something that tastes like barleywater, so that leaves the US of A out.

Tsingtao is very good - used to drink it almost everyday at this Chinese restaurant called Suan Long in Zurich. Very close to Kingfisher.

Mods, please excuse this totally off-topic old joke:

What's the similarity between American beer and making love on a boat?

They're both f@#$king close to water!
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 22:34   #43
BHPian

must be really really really poor germans
ameya is offline   Reply With Quote