Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 20th March 2010, 20:51   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
And like GTO mentioned, they have an exceptional Service quality too, unlike Skoda.
Just for the record : I didn't say VW's service is exceptional. Its better than Skoda for sure, yet as highlit in my Polo review, VWs after-sales still has to prove itself in the long run.
Old 21st March 2010, 13:53   #17
BHPian

For me, the problem for Skoda starts with their branding. Its tagline reads 'Obsessed with Quality since 1897'. Now who in his right mind will show upmanship with something that your parent brand is so renowned for. Its like a Rolls Royce or MINI saying they have the best driving dynamics in the world.
When you share factories, development centers and parts bin, I am sure the Skoda guy wants to build the next VW and then something more. The Superb is a classic example. I fail to understand why VW chose to develop a Superb and have competition in their own backyard. Rather they should aim for something like a Fiat or a Toyota with their Pandas and Aygos. Thats the cheap and cheerful end of the market where VW should want Skoda to compete and do well.
Old 30th March 2010, 20:38   #18
BHPian

Here's a simple example (I think) on how internal competition revives businesses...

VAG is like Hindustan Lever Limited (HLL). HLL sells Surf detergents (high price) and also Wheel detergents (low price). HLL owns a lot of brands and branches out in the market as a totally different brand with a small footprint of the parent company. We'd never see a Surf or a Wheel advert with HLL taking the spotlight. It has to be the end product that needs to be highlighted.

Per say, on a brand value basis the profit comes from a well established brand. Skoda being an established brand in India you see more of VW adverts as compared to Skoda since this brand needs to be highlighted.

In this case VAG while selling Skoda will never say, "Skoda by VAG" just to increase the VW badge value. They will never "soft kill" a brand that generates more revenue than their parent brand. Afterall no matter what we buy Surf/Wheel or VW/Skoda it all goes to HLL/VAG
Old 30th March 2010, 20:54   #19
BHPian

In my opinion, VW has seen where Škoda has failed big time. Customer Satisfaction. VW want to rectify that as Škoda is their subsidiary. Thus like what GTO said, A.S.S will be the key role in brand differentiating. Škoda have already felt the heat and perhaps that's one reason why they are opening the boutique showrooms across metros. But as things stand, VW will score over Škoda any day provided they don't take the same part as their subsidiary.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Lets hope it does not happen Skoda what GM did to Opel.

Currently Chevy uses the same halol factories that used to churn out astras and corsas.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

But if I think I got it right, VW is actually more premium than Skoda, but surprisingly in India, the Skodas are doing much better
Old 31st March 2010, 12:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
But if I think I got it right, VW is actually more premium than Skoda, but surprisingly in India, the Skodas are doing much better
Yup, internationally VW gets more respect than Skoda. But I guess its the other way around in India because Skoda came to India way before VW and have managed to make a good reputation for themselves.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:58   #23
Team-BHP Support

Actually, skoda gets a lot of respect now since people realise that it is a reasonable priced VW
Old 31st March 2010, 16:40   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
You have to give VW a chance; they have really only just started here. Skoda have a long lead.

We should adjourn the conversation for five years
Old 31st March 2010, 17:14   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You have to give VW a chance; they have really only just started here. Skoda have a long lead.

I guess Jetta was a car which was there in India more as a place holder and nothing else. Else why would'nt VW give more thought to add firepower into their arsenal in India in the B/C segment ranges earlier.

At least what I feel is that VW wanted to create a solid base and hold their name with respect rather than do a patch-up job. Else it would not much difficult for them to bring a car to India.

Once they have a base then I guess they would go for a kill.

The same holds for the Golf as well. Since there is no TSI base for smaller displacement, VW would rather create that base before bringing their flagship products. Eg Skoda has announced 1.2 TSI Yeti. Once TSI production settles up this year VW will bring in Golf next year.

Last edited by ampere : 31st March 2010 at 17:16.
Old 15th June 2010, 00:39   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is odd re-discovering this thread now that I am contemplating buying a VW --- and without taking my own advice of waiting five years!

In school, I was useless at history. It is not that I didn't find any of it interesting, but it was like being told some stories, which I enjoyed, and promptly forgot. Not much changed as I got older, but I think...

Volkswagen, the People's Car was one of Adolph Hitler's babies. VW might have been lost and forgotten, along with its beetle, had it not been for a British officer who found himself with the opportunity to do something with the VW factory. I've probably got as much wrong as right (in one paragraph!) but perhaps it might whet somebody's appetite to check out the history. If you like that sort of thing it is an interesting story.

Skoda is, I believe, one of Europe's oldest automotive/engineering companies. It's roots must go back to long before VW was dreamt of. Before its purchase by VAG, it had reached a point where the only possible reason to buy one was that it was cheap.
Old 15th June 2010, 09:12   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Actually, skoda gets a lot of respect now since people realise that it is a reasonable priced VW
That is until they require service!

Thad: I do remember the Skoda jokes. Only the Trabant ones were more vicious!
Old 15th June 2010, 09:16   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not sure if we ever had Trabant in UK. We had Lada, though, and that was also sub-skoda, and by a very long way. A friend of mine had one: I found it very comfortable!
Old 15th June 2010, 10:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
That is until they require service!

Thad: I do remember the Skoda jokes. Only the Trabant ones were more vicious!
That is only in India, abroad, Skoda's have a very good reputation. also since the big distributors did not want to be associated with what was a duff brand, the dealers were mainly family owned who gave good service
Old 15th June 2010, 11:03   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ajmat: may be. I had a visitor from Germany and he also said that the reputation of Skoda service in Germany was $h^%.
Closed Thread