Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Its looks like Darth Vader's face
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 01:55   #1713
Distinguished - BHPian

Installed this myself today on the charger:
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc00389.jpg

This is an intake from LegMaker Intakes, called Frankentake IV.

Also, installed 93Octane Performance tune from Diablosport using Trinity:
Name:  trinity.png
Views: 392
Size:  116.4 KB

Took the car out for a spin and I am still grinning
amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 06:55   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Infiniti Q50 has been leaked on the net. It appeared briefly on the Infiniti Canada and was taken down. But it was too late or was it intentional?

I am pretty sure this will have polarizing opinion. It sure looks very very different from current generation G37. I don't dig the new moniker too. They should have stick to G37 or something else.

Detroit Show this year is gonna be very unique and special with so many new models debut scheduled in couple of days.
Attached Images

chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 06:57   #1715
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Installed this myself today on the charger:
Attachment 1037740

This is an intake from LegMaker Intakes, called Frankentake IV.

Also, installed 93Octane Performance tune from Diablosport using Trinity:
Attachment 1037741

Took the car out for a spin and I am still grinning
Nice! Looks great. What are your performance gains like?
aah78 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 07:48   #1716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Nice! Looks great. What are your performance gains like?
My butt dyno says maybe 10BHP because of the CAI and the tune (with shift firmness)

But that does not really count for anything. From driving perspective, it seems to have woken the car up. It does not feel like i am driving a heavy car any more. There used to be a slight delay between throttle input and the response, which has gone away now.

The thing i am most happy about is that i did this myself, without anyone's help. I am still getting used to the DIY culture here.

Last edited by amitoj : 13th January 2013 at 07:50.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 22:59   #1717
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
The thing i am most happy about is that i did this myself, without anyone's help. I am still getting used to the DIY culture here.
Yep, there's always great satisfaction in DIY.

I meet a lot of people who're scared of working on cars. When it comes to high-performance motors, people just want to run away.

The most difficult part of DIY is the first step - to start. Once, you've done that there's no stopping.
aah78 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 02:04   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Dear All - I'm posting here after a while. I took your advice before moving to US and its been 7 months now and I'm slowly settling down. I bought my first car, a Nissan Rogue back in July 2012 and its been doing great so far. I now have a requirement to buy a second car since my wife needed one for her daily trips to school, market etc.

Since she is very comfortable with the Rogue, this second car is going to be for my daily usage. I was initially tempted with Lexus IS250 and the likes, but didn't want to stretch myself too much. I seem to be getting 2012 focus hatchback well below 15k which I think is a good fun to drive car. What are the other options for me below 15k? If I'm willing to extend by another 5k I'm in the striking range of Lexus IS250 which is very tempting for me. What do you suggest?

By the way, I'm from NC. Anyone around here?
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 02:53   #1719
Senior - BHPian

The new C7 has been leaked. Photos in link below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3014774 (2014 Chevrolet Corvette)
Old 14th January 2013, 03:22   #1720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I seem to be getting 2012 focus hatchback well below 15k which I think is a good fun to drive car. What are the other options for me below 15k? If I'm willing to extend by another 5k I'm in the striking range of Lexus IS250 which is very tempting for me. What do you suggest?

A 2012 Focus hatchbak for under 15K is a good deal
You can look at some Subarus also in the second hand market, specially if you want to go with stick shift for the fun factor.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 04:48   #1721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
tc.

Since she is very comfortable with the Rogue, this second car is going to be for my daily usage. I was initially tempted with Lexus IS250 and the likes, but didn't want to stretch myself too much. I seem to be getting 2012 focus hatchback well below 15k which I think is a good fun to drive car. What are the other options for me below 15k? If I'm willing to extend by another 5k I'm in the striking range of Lexus IS250 which is very tempting for me. What do you suggest?

I just read a local ad of a Nissan Dealer who has 15 2012 Altimas for sale. The price is just $15k for all 15. What versions are available is unknown but you may wanna inquire if anybody has a 2012 Accord or Altimas around you. They may be selling those for $3k-$5k off since new ones are already here.

My cousin got a 2012 civic auto for $15k too. Its a great alternative to focus. Otherwise, focus is a great option. You can also look at a year or two old accords/altimas in similar price range.

For $15k, IS250 will have higher miles than usual, if you can live with it, its a great option too. Very reliable, great quality, good to drive.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 05:05   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Thanks all. Yes will upload pics soon.
Just attaching a few pics as promised. Sorry for the delay.
Attached Images

rajushank84 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 05:33   #1723
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Amitoj - I read that you refinanced your first car again with DCU, I need to do the same thing, I just completed my 6 months EMI payment. Did you call them and ask them for refinance? How did it go - did you look elsewhere?

Quote:
A 2012 Focus hatchbak for under 15K is a good deal
You can look at some Subarus also in the second hand market, specially if you want to go with stick shift for the fun factor.
Hello Chevelle - As much as I like the altima for its sporty stance, I feel its a tad too common on the roads, same is the case with the accord and hence not too keen on them. However you have a very valid point and its worth checking out.

I'm just tempted by the IS250 but the reviews I have read have been a little indifferent, hence not sure if I would want to take a chance or not. I'm going to be paying/maintaining both the cars myself and hence want to be very careful that I dont make any hasty decision and repent for it later. As much as my heart wants it, the head says no. I was looking at the options this evening and I got the Focus, Jetta, Cruze and Mazda6 in my budget. Have driven the Focus and Jetta myself, heard good things about Mazda6, but don't have any experience with Cruze. How is it to drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I just read a local ad of a Nissan Dealer who has 15 2012 Altimas for sale. The price is just $15k for all 15. What versions are available is unknown but you may wanna inquire if anybody has a 2012 Accord or Altimas around you. They may be selling those for $3k-$5k off since new ones are already here.

My cousin got a 2012 civic auto for $15k too. Its a great alternative to focus. Otherwise, focus is a great option. You can also look at a year or two old accords/altimas in similar price range.

For $15k, IS250 will have higher miles than usual, if you can live with it, its a great option too. Very reliable, great quality, good to drive.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 06:16   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Chevelle - As much as I like the altima for its sporty stance, I feel its a tad too common on the roads, same is the case with the accord and hence not too keen on them. However you have a very valid point and its worth checking out.

I'm just tempted by the IS250 but the reviews I have read have been a little indifferent, hence not sure if I would want to take a chance or not. I'm going to be paying/maintaining both the cars myself and hence want to be very careful that I dont make any hasty decision and repent for it later. As much as my heart wants it, the head says no. I was looking at the options this evening and I got the Focus, Jetta, Cruze and Mazda6 in my budget. Have driven the Focus and Jetta myself, heard good things about Mazda6, but don't have any experience with Cruze. How is it to drive?
Even focus is very common on the road here. Many of those rentals and its interior feels like one too. If you can get a larger sedan for same price, i would forget about it being too common on road. But then, its strictly my opinion.

As for IS250, how about you try to find some and see how you like them. Reviews are good but when you test drive it, you will know better if its for you. And its not like IS250 is a white elephant, its very reliable and for most part you will just be performing regular maintenance. Do give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Mazda6 or you meant Mazda3? Mazda6 is same size as accord & altima. Mazda3 is a great drive and is a great option. I would put my money on it instead of focus. Cruze again would be after Mazda3.

Mazda3>civic>cruze>focus in your price range. YMMV.

I would say, drive most of these back to back. You will get an idea of how each one drives and which one is easier to live with.
Old 14th January 2013, 06:27   #1725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amitoj - I read that you refinanced your first car again with DCU, I need to do the same thing, I just completed my 6 months EMI payment. Did you call them and ask them for refinance? How did it go - did you look elsewhere?
I had gone to them to get another loan actually, for my wife's Focus. And i checked with them whether i could refinance my existing loan. Their representative punched in a few numbers, pulled up my credit score and confirmed that i could get both loans at 1.99%.

I checked with Bank of America and they denied my application since i am not a permanent resident.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote