Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 23:17   #2071
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,447
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
The first unique car which Comes to my mind the the Merc E station wagon.
It has a small seat, which is good for 2 kids and folds down into the luggage area. The E class third row is backwards facing

There are the usual SUV's , Honda Pilot, 4runner, Highlander, Sorento etc.
Acura MDX, which is another desi favorite.

RAV 4 & Mitsu outlander also has 3 row seating, But not sure whether that is comfortable enough.
The Pilot/4runner etc. are a little too big for just one person driving around most of the time. But then its a compromise, the RAV4 and mitsu are too small of a third row also.
The E class station wagon, yes I was aware of that, but it's quite an expensive option also, even in the used guise, correct?
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 23:26   #2072
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Vineeth - My uncle in UK was in similar conundrum. So he traded his E90 320i and bought a Chevy Captia with the 7 seater configuration. Chevy Equinox has a 7 seater configuration right?

EDIT: Just checked, in US its 5 seater configuration only whilst in UK they have 7 seater option. Sorry

Last edited by ToroRosso : 27th February 2013 at 23:37.
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 23:36   #2073
BHPian
 
kraft.wagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA <---> Coimbatore
Posts: 928
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Occasional 3 row vehicle

I told him to try out the last gen RAV4 with the optional 3rd row or the highlander from the Toyota stable. What else is in the market? Dodge Journey? Any small crossovers with 3 row of seats? Mazda 5?
I'd suggest Highlander for Toyota badge, good mpg, and not one of those huge SUV for 1 person driving. Even Venza is a good option.

CX9 from Mazda stable, great performance, lots of space, infact it was the best SUV for 3rd row last year I think.
VLOCT has always told me this is a CX5 is good SUV, I havent drove it yet. But worth considering based on your budget.

On the other side, how bout Jeep GC Laredo? Not sure if your friend is looking for a used one and how difficult it is to get a 3rd in used market.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 23:41   #2074
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,447
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I'd suggest Highlander for Toyota badge, good mpg, and not one of those huge SUV for 1 person driving. Even Venza is a good option.

CX9 from Mazda stable, great performance, lots of space, infact it was the best SUV for 3rd row last year I think.
VLOCT has always told me this is a CX5 is good SUV, I havent drove it yet. But worth considering based on your budget.

On the other side, how bout Jeep GC Laredo? Not sure if your friend is looking for a used one and how difficult it is to get a 3rd in used market.
I think the key requirement is an available third row. Jeep GC/CX5 and Venza are 5 seat cars and don't cut it. I don't think used/new matter as much, what matters more is a compact 3 row SUV/CUV that is not the size of the Merc GL or Cadillac Escalade and is also fairly easy on the wallet to fill up. I think the only suggestions I could give him were the highlander and Rav4 with the optional third row. The Maxda 5 minivan is also not a bad option in my opinion. But it is a little dated in terms of tech, and engine etc.

There are the three row CUV's from GM stable - Traverse/Acadia/Enclave - but they are large porky cars, in my opinion. They are more like minivan replacements. I would rather take a minivan instead of those.

I think the Nissan pathfinder, brand new, is a good entry in the segment. I have test driven its Infiniti version - the JX.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 27th February 2013 at 23:44.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 23:51   #2075
BHPian
 
Sush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Noida, New York
Posts: 308
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Hi Friends,

Sorry to digress from the topic currently being discussed. I am based out of Corvallis, Oregon. I recently bought a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE with leather seats, sun roof, 18" alloys, etc. from a friend. The car had done 1,39,800 miles. I trusted him, so did not bargain and paid $ 4500. Do you think I have paid more? If yes, then how much should have I paid?
Sush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 00:01   #2076
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,447
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
Hi Friends,

Sorry to digress from the topic currently being discussed. I am based out of Corvallis, Oregon. I recently bought a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE with leather seats, sun roof, 18" alloys, etc. from a friend. The car had done 1,39,800 miles. I trusted him, so did not bargain and paid $ 4500. Do you think I have paid more? If yes, then how much should have I paid?
You could check KBB.com, for a valuation of the car. I did a quick check for you.
KBB.com 2002 Nissan Maxima SEAn excellent condition 2002 Maxima SE should cost you under 4000$ as per KBB. Based on that alone, you may have paid 500 to 1000$ above what could be considered fair value.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 00:07   #2077
BHPian
 
Sush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Noida, New York
Posts: 308
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
You could check KBB.com, for a valuation of the car. I did a quick check for you.
KBB.com 2002 Nissan Maxima SEAn excellent condition 2002 Maxima SE should cost you under 4000$ as per KBB. Based on that alone, you may have paid 500 to 1000$ above what could be considered fair value.
I thought so; I am frustrated at my stupidity. Will be more careful next time :-(
Sush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 00:11   #2078
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
Hi Friends,

Sorry to digress from the topic currently being discussed. I am based out of Corvallis, Oregon. I recently bought a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE with leather seats, sun roof, 18" alloys, etc. from a friend. The car had done 1,39,800 miles. I trusted him, so did not bargain and paid $ 4500. Do you think I have paid more? If yes, then how much should have I paid?
You have bought it, it doesn't matter now. Enjoy your car!
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 00:13   #2079
BHPian
 
kraft.wagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA <---> Coimbatore
Posts: 928
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I think the key requirement is an available third row. Jeep GC/CX5 and Venza are 5 seat cars and don't cut it. I don't think used/new matter as much, what matters more is a compact 3 row SUV/CUV that is not the size of the Merc GL or Cadillac Escalade and is also fairly easy on the wallet to fill up. I think the only suggestions I could give him were the highlander and Rav4 with the optional third row. The Maxda 5 minivan is also not a bad option in my opinion. But it is a little dated in terms of tech, and engine etc.

There are the three row CUV's from GM stable - Traverse/Acadia/Enclave - but they are large porky cars, in my opinion. They are more like minivan replacements. I would rather take a minivan instead of those.

I think the Nissan pathfinder, brand new, is a good entry in the segment. I have test driven its Infiniti version - the JX.
Oops I was thinking less bout Venza :(
But I thought GC has 3rd row seats so does CX9
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 00:25   #2080
Team-BHP Support
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 14,801
Thanked: 2,312 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Note from Support - This thread is now moved to the The International Automotive Scene from What Car Section

Thanks
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 00:31   #2081
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Interesting topic, Vineeth.
I cant contribute much but i am following this closely because i have a feeling that a couple of months down the line, I will also be looking for a people mover. Which means the wife's Focus will go and be replaced by probably a mini van (though i will fight it tooth and nail and try to pitch for at least an SUV)
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 00:35   #2082
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Interesting topic, Vineeth.
I cant contribute much but i am following this closely because i have a feeling that a couple of months down the line, I will also be looking for a people mover. Which means the wife's Focus will go and be replaced by probably a mini van (though i will fight it tooth and nail and try to pitch for at least an SUV)
Honda's pilot rivals minivans in MPG, space and convenience, or you could go premium and get MDX or infiniti jx.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 01:02   #2083
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

We'll most likely go for a used one. And will probably pick something that seems like the best deal, brand/model no bar.

The thing is, whatever we go for, will be used for the occasional long distance trips but mostly it will be the city runabout to pick and drop the kids that it will be used for.

Anyway, I will come back here with more details and posts once we get there. For now, maybe Vineeth's friend can look at Ford Explorer?
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 01:52   #2084
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,447
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
We'll most likely go for a used one. And will probably pick something that seems like the best deal, brand/model no bar.

The thing is, whatever we go for, will be used for the occasional long distance trips but mostly it will be the city runabout to pick and drop the kids that it will be used for.

Anyway, I will come back here with more details and posts once we get there. For now, maybe Vineeth's friend can look at Ford Explorer?
I think they (and especially she) are extremely picky about getting a big vehicle. The thing with all these standard 3 row vehicles is that they are big and you never seem to be making good use of them. So I'm not entirely sure if they would even consider a Pilot or the Explorer or other models in that category like the Dodge Durango. I have a feeling they are considering the Highlander Hybrid. Big enough and very fuel efficient. In my opinion, it is priced a little on the higher side.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 01:58   #2085
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Personally, I would rent a minivan for a week or two in an year than purchase a new vehicle. Should have thought of that when I bought my minivan.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in Europe Saarth The International Automotive Scene 25 9th November 2015 17:43
Car of the Year 2012 -North America volkman10 The International Automotive Scene 0 10th January 2012 17:31
President and COO of Toyota North America joins Chrysler highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 11 9th September 2007 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks