Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 1st April 2013, 10:43   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
I have just come here and really tight on budget. Any suggestions to check the code for lesser cost or your views will help.
Get a OBDII scanner tool from Amazon if you want to monitor at your will - cost is around $50.

I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The above item is out of stock now, so you can maybe look into this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9125-...sim_sbs_auto_2
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 19:14   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Funny thing is , how much ever you stress on this, you cant convince desis on short stint for anything other than Honda/Toyota. I tried advicing some folks to go for a lower milage americans as opposed to high mileage japans, but it has always never succeeded
It is not only desi mentality, All of USA thinks the same.

That is why Toyota Camry & Honda Accord are no 1 and 2 respectievely in car sales

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/pag...tml#autosalesC

Makes them easier to sell also, even if you clock 150k miles or so. Parts are cheaper, Cheap mechanics are familiar with common problems (if any). I still advice high mileage japanese. And I have been driving a 1991 Accord with 291k miles. I speak from experiance, not hearsay.

Here is the thread on my old trusty, rusty

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...r-here-us.html (Finally bought a car.. Here in the US...)

Last edited by Jomz : 1st April 2013 at 19:17.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 19:53   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I called up local Firestone and they told 90 USD to check the error code.
I do not see any difference in driving.
Do look for some local mechanics around your area, I' sure they will do OBD scan for $25-$30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Autozone outside of California provides free code check. Apart from that Aamco also provides free code check with a coupon. Third option is to get a scanner from walmart or autozone for $50 and check it yourself. If it is related to the fuel cap, reset the code and it shouldn't come back. If any other code pops up, take it to the dealer and fix it under warranty

Don't pay $90 at firestone or any other places.
Do all Autozones do the check? I went to a Autozone some 5months ago for my Mustang, they told me that they don't do the scan and told me to buy the scanner
Ended up taking to a local mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
It is not only desi mentality, All of USA thinks the same.

That is why Toyota Camry & Honda Accord are no 1 and 2 respectievely in car sales

Here is the thread on my old trusty, rusty

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...r-here-us.html (Finally bought a car.. Here in the US...)
So agree, its us who we believe Honda/Toyota to be desi cars, but its not just desi's who prefer these.

BTW do you still have the 91 Honda(haven't read your post through)
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 20:04   #2389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
BTW do you still have the 91 Honda(haven't read your post through)
No, sold it with 291k miles.
It blew an alternator while I was using. (~$150)

Blew a driveshaft with the next owner. (~$100)

Blew the engine ( the 3rd owner after me, timing belt was due for replacement , blew the head gasket and water pump too at the same time).

The 4th owner after me, put a used engine in and sold for $1000 on criagslist. ( ~$400)
Old 1st April 2013, 20:07   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post

*** next 1.5 year.

*** 2006 Honda Civic which has done 200K. Asking price is $5.5K.

*** around 1500 miles a month with 40 miles per day for work.
Jose, the only caveat is whether your friend is qualified enough to evaluate the state of the car, or not. A 7 year old Civic is alright to buy even with that kind of mileage, provided there is ample proof that the car has been kept well. If the seller has maintenance records then go for it at $5/5.5K. This thing will easily last for another 100K if she has a good history.

Also, for 1500 miles a month and 40 miles a day, the car will demand higher level of diligence in upkeep. He may also have to do a peace of mind initial tune up (change spark plugs, inspect belts and hoses, flush fluids etc) which will cost him a few. At this amount of mileage, the mutual relationship between a car and its owner is more like "I take care of you only if you take care of me".

Jomz and other experts, correct me if I'm wrong but the 2006 Civvies have a timing chain, not a belt, which is a plus in this case. Had it been a belt, an expensive maintenance was due any time around 200K miles.

As a passing thought, if your friend can loosen his wallet by another couple of grand or so, much 'younger' vehicles will walk into the frame too.
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 20:15   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Jomz and other experts, correct me if I'm wrong but the 2006 Civvies have a timing chain, not a belt, which is a plus in this case. Had it been a belt, an expensive maintenance was due any time around 200K miles.

As a passing thought, if your friend can loosen his wallet by another couple of grand or so, much 'younger' vehicles will walk into the frame too.
For sure the 2005> models have timing chains.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 20:17   #2392
BHPian

Quote:

It is indeed a timing chain.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:23   #2393
BHPian

Quote:
***a 2005 Toyota Camry.

***I called the dealer who sold me, he says that 100 USD deductible if I take it there, even though he gave a 3 month warranty.

***I do not see any difference in driving.

I have just come here and really tight on budget. Any suggestions to check the code for lesser cost or your views will help.
The question is are you more worried about the charges for the code-check or for the real reason for the CEL.

Even if you go to Autozone and get a code for the CEL error, wouldn't you ultimately have to go some repair place to get the issue looked at, which would anyway cost you?

Most CEL's are related to oxygen sensors. (There are, of course many other reasons for CEL errors. My Maxima used to flip a CEL at me whenever I filled gas from Costco, for whatever reason. Although I am not sure I can prove it in court, the phenomenon was so consistent that I gave up on Costco gas for her). Resetting the error will only switch off the CEL light for some time, not take care of the problem.

From your post it seems to me that this is your bread and butter vehicle with little scope for down time. Unless you are an enthusiast tuner yourself, my suggestion is to pay the $100 deductible and eliminate the root cause of the CEL. As a bonus, work done at a dealership will come with one year's warranty too, regardless of when your 3 month vehicle warranty expires.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:57   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post

Do all Autozones do the check? I went to a Autozone some 5months ago for my Mustang, they told me that they don't do the scan and told me to buy the scanner
Ended up taking to a local mechanic
I am sure in CA, Autozone doesn't check. But mostly in every other states, they do check for free. So if you went to Autozone in LA they must have declined you.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 05:42   #2395
BHPian

Quote:
The question is are you more worried about the charges for the code-check or for the real reason for the CEL.
Thanks Ninadjoshi. Yes I want to fix it. But if the error is due to the Petrol tank lid, and I know I did the mistake. I dont want to spend 100 bucks for that. I been here for just 2 Months and family moved in recently.

If the error is not other than the Petrol then I will take it to the dealer to fix it immediately.

But there is a caveat, If the problem for which I am getting error, is not covered in the Warranty, I will try to get it fixed with some local mech as the dealer said he will charge be 110 USD for diagonsis of the problem.
Ananthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:20   #2396
BHPian

Since you mentioned the car seems to operate ok even with the CEL on, try resetting the CEL. If it comes back on after some time, then you indeed have a problem that needs attention. If it doesn't, great. You then probably had a random occurrence (which I doubt).

There are ways of resetting the CEL manually by using a sequence of buttons on the dashboard. Google will produce a few links like http://www.ehow.com/how_7242207_rese...ota-camry.html

Good luck.
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:44   #2397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the error is not other than the Petrol then I will take it to the dealer to fix it immediately.
How many miles on the car? If its not the gas cap its some sensor - oxygen sensor probably, considering the age.
But all this is just speculation. Let us know what's detected.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:21   #2398
BHPian

Why do our driving brethren in India give names to their vehicles?
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:59   #2399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do our driving brethren in India give names to their vehicles?
Its a common practice here too. Corvette owners do so here too. In my last corvette meet, other corvette owners started suggesting me name for my vette and told me to get the same for vanity plate. I just laughed it off. A couple of my local friends have named their impalas and accords too. I think it is a norm throughout the world.

Last edited by chevelle : 2nd April 2013 at 21:00.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:07   #2400
BHPian

Interesting. Pride of ownership perhaps.

I'm yet to come across someone who fondly refers to his Caddy as "Lady Gaga" or his Suburban a "Big Mac". I shudder to think what'd become of him at a Superbowl party if he begins on a travelogue featuring his Lady Gaga on the winding roads of the Appalachia

Monster trucks do have names, sure. But in most cases neither the truck nor its owner is normal any way...hehe.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 2nd April 2013 at 21:16.