Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 2nd April 2013, 21:19   #2401
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Interesting. Pride of ownership perhaps.

I'm yet to come across someone who fondly refers to his Caddy as "Lady Gaga" or his Suburban a "Big Mac". I shudder to think what'd become of him at a Superbowl party if he begins on a travelogue featuring his Lady Gaga on the winding roads of the Appalachia

Monster trucks do have names, sure. But in most cases neither the truck nor its owner is normal any way...hehe.
The most common name i have come across here is Bumblebee. Most yellow camaros, vipers and corvettes are named so. I can understand with camaro but i have read some viper and corvette owners do the same on L4P. Weird but if it gives them kicks, who am i to complain.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:40   #2402
BHPian

Cars can be more than just cars for some, for sure.

Although I'm not sure what I'll do if my neighbor suddenly decides to refer to his Ford Escape as the "Blue Sniper" and his wife her Civic as the "Silver Marauder" Mow my lawn when they are not around would be best, perhaps?
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:52   #2403
BHPian

^^ Speaking of car names, saw a grey Nissan GTR in Costco parking lot with license plate "GODZILA"

It was the apt name for the car as it did look huge and intimidating. I was drooling over it for quite some time sitting in my humble Jetta
DexterMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 03:08   #2404

2013 is becoming a great year for mid size cars and CUV's. Most of the manufacturers came up with evolutionary models with upgraded looks and sophistication's.

Well, I am still looking for that enigmatic car which I would eventually call mine and I've got 1 more month before my family joins me. I know I am slow in search, but I don't want to quickly part with my '12 Accord coupe as it is a gem of a car.

Subaru Forester '14 is what I am currently hooked up with as I'm hearing a lot of good things about the '14 model (both XT and non turbo versions) and that the car is flying off of the lots of North American dealer's.
vineeth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 07:10   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
Since you mentioned the car seems to operate ok even with the CEL on, try resetting the CEL. If it comes back on after some time, then you indeed have a problem that needs attention. If it doesn't, great. You then probably had a random occurrence (which I doubt).

There are ways of resetting the CEL manually by using a sequence of buttons on the dashboard. Google will produce a few links like http://www.ehow.com/how_7242207_rese...ota-camry.html

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
How many miles on the car? If its not the gas cap its some sensor - oxygen sensor probably, considering the age.
But all this is just speculation. Let us know what's detected.
Thanks NinadJoshi and aah78. There was 2 Codes and both are in P0442, at a local Autozone.

As per the code - It is a smal leak in Gas cap or Evaporative System Malfunction.

Other thing the Autozone suggested it, that it is in Pending and will go off in 50 miles. I asked him to Erase but he said that as per policy they will not do it. Will wait and watch.
Ananthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 07:21   #2406
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Thanks NinadJoshi and aah78. There was 2 Codes and both are in P0442, at a local Autozone.

As per the code - It is a smal leak in Gas cap or Evaporative System Malfunction.

Other thing the Autozone suggested it, that it is in Pending and will go off in 50 miles. I asked him to Erase but he said that as per policy they will not do it. Will wait and watch.
Yes, they're right about that. It usually takes that much time or a few starts to clear the code.
Another thing I'd recommend is shutting off the car and removing key from the ignition while filling up fuel. That should also help keeping the gas cap code off.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 07:35   #2407
BHPian

Yes, I am taking keys off the car completely while refueling.

Also posted in a St Louis Local Indian portal if some one can lend their OBD scanner to Erase the code. After I delete and if the error comes again, I will take it to dealer and get it evaluated and fixed.

I have been using Shell, have one Mobil nearby and will try to move to Mobil too for once.

It is a 84000 Miles car, I forgot to answer that in my previous post
Ananthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:27   #2408
BHPian

Hey friends

What's a good place to go and learn/practice drifting? I'm kinda scared to do it illegally in empty parking lot - I don't want to get caught and have my license revoked or anything like that. And of course the fact that it is wrong to trespass.

Bay Area bhpians: if you have similar thoughts: take a look at this: http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...rid=0&start=10
Maybe if 5 to 10 of us get together and share the cost, we could do a teambhp drift-day-cum-meetup kind of thing...?
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:12   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Yes, I am taking keys off the car completely while refueling.

Also posted in a St Louis Local Indian portal if some one can lend their OBD scanner to Erase the code. After I delete and if the error comes again, I will take it to dealer and get it evaluated and fixed.

I have been using Shell, have one Mobil nearby and will try to move to Mobil too for once.

It is a 84000 Miles car, I forgot to answer that in my previous post
Unplug the battery for 10-15 mins, that should erase the code.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 02:29   #2410
Team-BHP Support

Did anybody make it to the NY Auto show?
I did go mid-week but left my camera at home, unfortunately.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 10:11   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Hey friends

What's a good place to go and learn/practice drifting? I'm kinda scared to do it illegally in empty parking lot - I don't want to get caught and have my license revoked or anything like that. And of course the fact that it is wrong to trespass.

Bay Area bhpians: if you have similar thoughts: take a look at this: http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...rid=0&start=10
Maybe if 5 to 10 of us get together and share the cost, we could do a teambhp drift-day-cum-meetup kind of thing...?
Make sure you check your insurance policy in case of accidents. Insurance companies are notorious with some fine print where you might be denied coverage under certain conditions like being "timed" on a race track. Just check your policy for regular race track driving.
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 21:53   #2412
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone here was looking for a bike?
There is a 2002 Yamaha R6 available in Boston for 4K (or best offer). Seller claims it has lot of "goodies"

Anyone interested? Techno?

EDIT: Here is a pic
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-bike.jpg

Last edited by amitoj : 7th April 2013 at 21:55.
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 22:46   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Went to first all-corvette show yesterday that took place at Hooters in Sacramento.

Here are a few pics. I loved the scissor doors on the corvettes. Very cool. I may do it in future after i am done with performance mods.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130406_124148.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130406_124202.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130406_131345.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130406_130719.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130406_130733.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130406_130836.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130406_130928.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130406_130908.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130406_130918.jpg  

Last edited by chevelle : 7th April 2013 at 22:49.
chevelle is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 23:15   #2414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Went to first all-corvette show yesterday that took place at Hooters in Sacramento.
Nice!
I had gone to a Mopar meet yesterday. Forgot the camera at home

Btw, Hooters seems to be a favorite meeting point for all car enthusiasts here. Wonder why
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 23:27   #2415
BHPian

Cool Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Why do our driving brethren in India give names to their vehicles?
Why do you name planes or ships, or buildings for that matter?
Activ8 is offline   Reply With Quote