Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2013, 23:51   #2416
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 856
Thanked: 325 Times
Default

Last week a random drive took us to Sunnyvale Baylands Park, there were some 20-25 Honda S2Ks lined up in the parking lot. Many looked modded. Must be some kind o meet up. Those cars looked good!

Looks like Honda and Toyota have made some great enthusiast-oriented cars once. Wonder why these are no longer in their lineup.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 23:59   #2417
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,448
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Went to first all-corvette show yesterday that took place at Hooters in Sacramento.

Here are a few pics. I loved the scissor doors on the corvettes. Very cool. I may do it in future after i am done with performance mods.
Nice pics man. Sunny SOCAL indeed. We are starting to see more sun and warmth as every day goes past! Peak driving season also comes with Spring, I suppose.
Interesting choice of venue, hooters. But they always do things with cars - I know they do the "car wash" thingy one day of the week - which is a big draw, and also some of the bikers clubs also meet up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Last week a random drive took us to Sunnyvale Baylands Park, there were some 20-25 Honda S2Ks lined up in the parking lot. Many looked modded. Must be some kind o meet up. Those cars looked good!

Looks like Honda and Toyota have made some great enthusiast-oriented cars once. Wonder why these are no longer in their lineup.
Toyota now has a cheap enthusiast car now in their line up - as a Scion - the FR-S. Also, strangely, some of their newly redesigned cars have gone more sporty as opposed to dumb from the previous generations. I'm referring to the Avalon, when I say that. Strange choice of car to go sporty. Perhaps they might make the new Corolla also sportier when it is launched in 2014. I, however, have no idea about Honda/Acura. They seem to have taken a totally Toyota approach to their cars now. They have been improving a lot of finer aspects of their cars, yet forgetting about the fun part at the same time.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 01:19   #2418
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,286
Thanked: 496 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Nice!
I had gone to a Mopar meet yesterday. Forgot the camera at home

Btw, Hooters seems to be a favorite meeting point for all car enthusiasts here. Wonder why
Thanks, i forgot the camera too. This is from SIII phone. Hooters provides hooter girls for corvette calender many times of the year. They provide discounts and coupons for use inside the restaurant. All this probably draws the crowd.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Nice pics man. Sunny SOCAL indeed. We are starting to see more sun and warmth as every day goes past! Peak driving season also comes with Spring, I suppose.
Interesting choice of venue, hooters. But they always do things with cars - I know they do the "car wash" thingy one day of the week - which is a big draw, and also some of the bikers clubs also meet up there.
Thanks. This is NOR-CAL. It was very cloudy and dark. So the turn out was very less as not many corvette owners didn't come out for the fear of rain.

Next week we are meeting at Hooters again and then caravan to Petaluma, CA for 150 mile rainbow run. Its gonna be fun, fun times.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 22:57   #2419
Team-BHP Support
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 14,810
Thanked: 2,319 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Why do our driving brethren in India give names to their vehicles?
Like others said, its not specific to India, On The Accord forums people have all kinds of name for their Cars.

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Its a common practice here too. Corvette owners do so here too. In my last corvette meet, other corvette owners started suggesting me name for my vette and told me to get the same for vanity plate. I just laughed it off. A couple of my local friends have named their impalas and accords too. I think it is a norm throughout the world.
+ 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
^^ Speaking of car names, saw a grey Nissan GTR in Costco parking lot with license plate "GODZILA"

It was the apt name for the car as it did look huge and intimidating. I was drooling over it for quite some time sitting in my humble Jetta
Actually GTR is widely known as Godzilla in Enthusiast circles, check this link for why

Nissan GT R: How Godzilla got its name

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Did anybody make it to the NY Auto show?
I did go mid-week but left my camera at home, unfortunately.
Nope, but anything worth checking out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Someone here was looking for a bike?
There is a 2002 Yamaha R6 available in Boston for 4K (or best offer). Seller claims it has lot of "goodies"

Anyone interested? Techno?

EDIT: Here is a pic
Attachment 1070439
Haha thanks but I am not going to buy anything till my Insurance Premium comes down to more sane levels
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 23:15   #2420
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Haha thanks but I am not going to buy anything till my Insurance Premium comes down to more sane levels
I should have done that as well, I am paying a combined 350 bucks now.. I am this close to getting kicked out of home..

Anybody has any plans to be at Indianpolis Speedway for the Motogp?
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 02:16   #2421
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I live very close to the speedway.

Is anybody going for Thunder over louisville?? It is the biggest firework show in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I should have done that as well, I am paying a combined 350 bucks now.. I am this close to getting kicked out of home..
$350 per month!!!! You could lease a new lancer evo for $250

Last edited by Jomz : 9th April 2013 at 02:18.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 03:06   #2422
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,286
Thanked: 496 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post

$350 per month!!!! You could lease a new lancer evo for $250
Who buys Evos now a days? I haven't seen any new evos around here. Do they sell or have company packed up and left like suzuki?
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 03:15   #2423
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 1,349 Times
Arrow Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Nope, but anything worth checking out?
There's always something or the other interesting at the NY auto show.

This year I went with someone and we only had time to check out a few pre-selected cars. Didn't spend my usual 3-4 hours.

Two things I missed though were the Subaru WRX Concept and the new Corvette, which I haven't seen yet in the flesh.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 03:37   #2424
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Who buys Evos now a days? I haven't seen any new evos around here. Do they sell or have company packed up and left like suzuki?
I guess Evos were a big hit among the college crowd once upon a time. I doubt if that is still true, given the slew of more modern and more fuel efficient cars.
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 03:58   #2425
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post

Is anybody going for Thunder over louisville??
...
$350 per month!!!! You could lease a new lancer evo for $250
Heh, I know.. No driving/Riding history in US. Its the combined Bike + Car insurance. I will be getting a better quote from next month or so.

I am going for the Kentucky fireworks? Will you be there?
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 04:07   #2426
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,286
Thanked: 496 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
There's always something or the other interesting at the NY auto show.

This year I went with someone and we only had time to check out a few pre-selected cars. Didn't spend my usual 3-4 hours.

Two things I missed though were the Subaru WRX Concept and the new Corvette, which I haven't seen yet in the flesh.
OMG. That is sacrilege for not seeing the two hottest stars(cars) of the show. I visited NYAS in 2009, i wish i could do it every year. Its great and superb show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I guess Evos were a big hit among the college crowd once upon a time. I doubt if that is still true, given the slew of more modern and more fuel efficient cars.
I recently read a review on Evo GSR on autoblog. They ripped it apart for everything to anything. High price, low rent interior, poor sound insulation, too crude, very low fuel efficiency, very less dealer network and so on, so forth. I think the big hit among college crowd now is ST and FR-S/BRZ.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 04:14   #2427
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Heh, I know.. No driving/Riding history in US. Its the combined Bike + Car insurance. I will be getting a better quote from next month or so.

I am going for the Kentucky fireworks? Will you be there?
Yes, I'll be there. We ( me and my wife) usually don't miss the fireworks from the waterside park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I recently read a review on Evo GSR on autoblog. They ripped it apart for everything to anything. High price, low rent interior, poor sound insulation, too crude, very low fuel efficiency, very less dealer network and so on, so forth. I think the big hit among college crowd now is ST and FR-S/BRZ.
There are very few choices which has AWD (for snow), decent performance and which is cheap. I was looking for a new Evo with a recent grad (from U Mich - they have a love affair for Evos' & Sti's)- who joined our company and that is where I came across this deal.

Yes , it is stiff, gives crappy mileage, but lightly modded, it can keep up with a Corvette Z06.
This is a friend's car on track . His car started the Evo craze in My company



There are quite a few new grads in our company , and the biggest pick among the college crowd ( both desi and US ) is the Mustang. The major sellers are- Corvettes, quite a bit Evo's, WRX's , Sti's, GTi's, Velosters, Genesis , FRS/BRZ's etc- Yet to see an St in our lot. -maybe there is not many available used.

Last edited by Jomz : 9th April 2013 at 04:28.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 04:56   #2428
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,448
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I guess Evos were a big hit among the college crowd once upon a time. I doubt if that is still true, given the slew of more modern and more fuel efficient cars.
It still is a big hit amongst the college crowd - bang for buck in terms of outright performance is undeniable. It however, as pointed out in a recent autoblog review also - has grown a little long in the tooth. The interior for a near 40k car is downright pathetic. The fuel consumption and NVH levels are both so last generation.

I think Mitsu is bringing a new Evo, rumored to be a hybrid. The Lancer Evo is the one car that draws customers into their showrooms in the US. Without that, I assume the brand would have gone the same way as Suzuki.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 06:47   #2429
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
It however, as pointed out in a recent autoblog review also - has grown a little long in the tooth. The interior for a near 40k car is downright pathetic. The fuel consumption and NVH levels are both so last generation.
Was looking at new Evos's for a friend. Base Evos are like 32k.(35k OTD) with current discounts. It is not a near 40K car anymore.

the $259 lease is unreal. An Accord LX lease ( around 25k OTD) is like $219.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 19:02   #2430
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 1,349 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
OMG. That is sacrilege for not seeing the two hottest stars(cars) of the show.
I know, and I didn't realize I missed the cars until I reached home.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in Europe Saarth The International Automotive Scene 25 9th November 2015 17:43
Car of the Year 2012 -North America volkman10 The International Automotive Scene 0 10th January 2012 17:31
President and COO of Toyota North America joins Chrysler highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 11 9th September 2007 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks