Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 28th April 2013, 16:57   #2521
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Go for a second hand car from a place like Max. What you see is what you get. The car and the price. You can't haggle. There are no options, the car is the car.
Yeah but carmax is expensive! For 13K, their website lists a 2006 Ford Fusion with 53K miles on the odo. Compare that with the Fusion my friend got for the same price, 7K miles more but 2010 model. He got it checked from another mechanic to make sure there are no issues with the car.

It is difficult for us to put a price on the convenience factor when at the back of our mind we have this nagging feeling that we could have saved a bit more. Finding that elusive balance between the two makes this whole process somewhat nerve wracking.
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 18:06   #2522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Finding that elusive balance between the two makes this whole process somewhat nerve wracking.
Well, get some peace of mind then and don't look around. Go with one place, just buy, enjoy the car and don't look back! There is always a better deal around the corner.

I never ever worry about a better deal. I know what I want and how much I want to spend. When those two match I buy. Why worry and get upset about the fact you might get it cheaper somewhere else. Enjoy what you have!

As long as you pay the price you felt is reasonable and or what you would afford, why bother? Especially as it seems to upset you!

Jeroen

Last edited by aah78 : 28th April 2013 at 22:16. Reason: Quote fixed.
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 18:35   #2523
BHPian

Some pics from the s2000 club drive in Louisville, KY
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_6282.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_6315.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_6289.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_6302.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_6322.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_6319.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_6356.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_6324.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_6323.jpg  

Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 21:23   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Hey, Where is this in Louisville? Awesome pics..
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 23:35   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Hey, Where is this in Louisville? Awesome pics..
The drive started from New Albany, IN and ended at the overlook restaurant , Leavenworth, Indiana

The overlook is a great location. Lunch with views of the Ohio river-- with barges goin on.. was awesome.

view from overlook in fall..

http://www.theoverlook.com/index.php?id=44&photo=5
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 04:57   #2526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The drive started from New Albany, IN and ended at the overlook restaurant , Leavenworth, Indiana

The overlook is a great location. Lunch with views of the Ohio river-- with barges goin on.. was awesome.
Quote:
Looks good. Did you by any chance took gopro? How long was the run?

I did something similar. Haven't got time to post photos of the run i did. Will do so soon.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 07:11   #2527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Looks good. Did you by any chance took gopro? How long was the run?

I did something similar. Haven't got time to post photos of the run i did. Will do so soon.
No, I did not have a gopro. All the photos are from a regular camera. I have to get a gopro sometime soon.

The run was around 50-60 miles.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 11:26   #2528
BHPian

Quote:

Well, get some peace of mind then and don't look around. Go with one place, just buy, enjoy the car and don't look back! There is always a better deal around the corner.

I never ever worry about a better deal. I know what I want and how much I want to spend. When those two match I buy. Why worry and get upset about the fact you might get it cheaper somewhere else. Enjoy what you have!

As long as you pay the price you felt is reasonable and or what you would afford, why bother? Especially as it seems to upset you!

Jeroen
Well I guess one way to alleviate the pain is to check KBB and Edmunds fair value for specific model / year / mileage combo and enter advanced search in autotrader with these criterial and set the max price not more than the KBB / Edmunds value (or 10-20% more if one is flexible). And set email alerts on these advanced searches. Yes we will miss the hundreds of overpriced listings but get only those few relatively fairly priced ones (and plenty of those exist too!).

One more thing, if we go to the dealer and after test drive of one of these cars show that we are seriously interested in buying a car but not hell bent on buying that particular car, and willing to sign IF the price is good, quite a few dealers seem to come down to fair price though they might have listed it higher initially. Of course, we can do all the stuff like carfax etc before going to the dealer itself. And going at the end of the month is good too - they need to meet sales targets.

Personally I love the whole car-buying process. Starting with identifying the segment and comparing various models, reading spec sheets, then reading beyond spec sheets by watching review videos and taking test drives, getting a feel of every model and forming a somewhat informed opinion about each one, "watching" the market on a day to day basis how quickly used cars of a model come for sale and how fast they move... And then when when I find a car I like, being able to sign some papers and drive away with it.. I would do it over and over again if I had a chance. It is all what makes me a car nut :-)

Last edited by rajushank84 : 29th April 2013 at 11:29.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 19:08   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan View Post
Ended up getting a 2013 Focus ST and loving it!
Thanks for the suggestions
Meghan, Quick question. Did you have a chance to TD Scion TC. One of my friends is looking to finalize on one of these - Scion TC, Focus ST, BRZ and MazdaSpeed 3.

He liked ST, the most. But doesnt have the dough to extend till ST.

So would Scion TC, strike a balance between Performance and Cost?

I am trying to get him to buy the ST, but he doesnt want (rather doesnt have ) to spend 8K over TC for the ST.

Last edited by ToroRosso : 29th April 2013 at 19:18.
Old 29th April 2013, 19:51   #2530
BHPian

Quote:

Jeroen
For some reason (atleast in LA) Carmax has 90% of their inventory which is rentals. Though they have huge selection, I stayed away.

Quote:
Meghan, Quick question. Did you have a chance to TD Scion TC. One of my friends is looking to finalize on one of these - Scion TC, Focus ST, BRZ and MazdaSpeed 3.

I am trying to get him to buy the ST, but he doesnt want (rather doesnt have ) to spend 8K over TC for the ST.
Not sure if I will bring tC to the options. I'm not impressed by the car, though it has good power, it lacks handling.
I'd anyday pick the ST over tC
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 20:02   #2531
BHPian

Quote:

I did not TD the TC and think its a completely different segment from the ST.
IMHO, he can get the base ST1 for only 4-5k over the TC and be much happier.
Another relatively cheap option would be a Civic Si. Has he looked at that?
meghan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 20:09   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Meghan, His requirement was straight forward (or so i thought) . Good handling 6 speed stick shift Hatch with good power.

I have driven both Si and ST. I found ST to be far superior.Will ask him to give it a look though,Since he liked SCion TC.

Interesting, All the dealer OTD options for ST1s are atleast 6K over Scion TC.

Last edited by ToroRosso : 29th April 2013 at 20:37. Reason: corrected Typo
Old 29th April 2013, 20:20   #2533
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks Meghan, His requirement was straight forward (or so i thought) . Good handling 6 speed stick shift Hatch with good power.

I have driven Si both ST. I found ST to be far superior.Will ask him to give it a look though,Since he liked SCion TC.

The ST can be got for ~1k below MSRP and so the price, where as the Scion I think has some true price thing, so what you see is what you pay.
Though getting an ST1 (no options) as dealer inventory is kind of hard.

If he can wait, the Fiesta ST is right around the corner for ~21-22k
meghan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 21:20   #2534
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
About your the reasoning you gave in 3rd para. Avoiding clocking miles for resale values. When i pointed out that eventually you will pay that much in rent, they say, oh in that case, it will be less maintenance and less wear and tear on the car. I agree on wear and tear but that is the price you pay for lower operating costs.
Ok, so we think alike on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Anyone else heard of anyone's experiences through Costco car buying service?
Didn't know Costco sells cars too. Bought my tires from them & it was pretty straight forward & I got free lifetime Nitrogen fill & Maintenance.

Quote:
We bought my wife's Ford Focus from them, for just over $10.000,--. Three years later, when we moved to Delhi, they bought it back from us for around $6-6.500,--. That's not a bad depreciation for three years of driving!

Jeroen
Just to give a perspective on resale, My friend bought a 2006 Civic Coupe in 2007 from carmax for 16k, He went back to India in 2012 & sold the car (after using 5 years)to a private party for 13.5k, now that's a resale one would want to have
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 21:20   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
For some reason (atleast in LA) Carmax has 90% of their inventory which is rentals. Though they have huge selection, I stayed away.

Not sure if I will bring tC to the options. I'm not impressed by the car, though it has good power, it lacks handling.
I'd anyday pick the ST over tC
I would stay away from Carmax. They hike their price by 25% than normal market. Their no haggle policy is a pain too as one can't get even a cent off. They also low ball you on the trade-in. Speaking from experience.

Quote:

While this question is for Meghan, let me give you my opinion on TC. If you have that much dough, don't even bother putting it on TC. I have not driven the 2013, but drove 2011 last year and it was crap. I would rather get the Si if ST is out of reach.

If he wants to strike a balance between performance and cost and can't afford ST/MS3/GTi, ask him to get Si rather than TC. Trust me, he will thank you later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Personally I love the whole car-buying process. It is all what makes me a car nut :-)
wholeheartedly. For me, the car buying process is the best time that lets me drive the car i have always wished to own. It helps me put a perspective to various options in the market for similar segment. And i guess that is why i love cars.

Quote:
If not ST, Si makes a lot of sense considering it is available at great price.

Quote:

I have driven both Si and ST. I found ST to be far superior.Will ask him to give it a look though,Since he liked SCion TC.

In Sacramento, STs are in demand so they are not willing to go lower than MSRP. At some dealers i have seen markup of $2500-$5000. Yes - on STs too. And most are loaded with options even though we may not require them.

He can wait for Fiesta ST which will be similar in price to Si. Scion doesn't do much on price. It is always fixed. Not even invoice. That is absurd in my opinion. And its not like it is selling 10s and 1000s of those pieces each month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Ok, so we think alike on this

Didn't know Costco sells cars too. Bought my tires from them & it was pretty straight forward & I got free lifetime Nitrogen fill & Maintenance.
Yes, we do.

I knew Costco sells cars. They always have a camaro or challenger in the front of entrance. But i didn't know what kind of offers they give. I did hear usually its around invoice. They have good price on engine oil, tires and filters occasionally. I have seen they always have Michelin's $70 rebate whenever i go there.

Last edited by chevelle : 29th April 2013 at 21:24.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote