Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2013, 01:53   #2551
Newbie
 
sreepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 23
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile Student looking for a used car

Hello Bhpians,
I'm a student who is on the lookout for a reliable and fuel efficient used car. This will be my first in the U.S. I would be logging approximately <50 miles a day. My budget is limited to $2000. I am contemplating buying a 2002 Hyundai Accent (manual). More details can be found here http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3766834799.html

Do you think this is a good proposition for a student on a really tight budget?
I've been searching for cars that meet my criteria on craigslist. I've noticed that Chevy's and Jeeps are really low-priced. I'm unsure about their reliability and fuel efficiency though. Please advice!

Thank You,
Sree.
sreepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 09:12   #2552
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,398
Thanked: 1,344 Times
Default

Being a student, you probably live close to your university, I presume?

A car is definitely an attractive proposition but I suggest you wait before you get a job.

By a bicycle instead & use public transportation.

Insurance rates are going to be sky high, plus with added car maintenance plus fuel costs will barely be affordable.

Your on-campus job pays enough to cover your basic living expenses - mainly rent & food. Everything else is a luxury.

I know because I've been there.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 17:39   #2553
Newbie
 
sreepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 23
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Being a student, you probably live close to your university, I presume?.......I know because I've been there.
Thank you aah78 for the reply. I live very close to the university and never needed a car. It's just that I have been offered an internship this summer. My commute would increase to a minimum of 50 miles a day. Public transport would cost me 4 hours a day of uncomfortable travel. So, my only option is going with a cheap car which could last me for a year or so.

I test drove the accent I was talking about in my previous post. It seemed to be okay for the price. I could negotiate it down to $1500. These are some observations I made.

1) There is rust on the front suspension strut tower and the exhaust manifold. I hope it won't cause any troubles for at least a year. Pic from the craigslist ad for reference http://images.craigslist.org/3Ja3Ne3...45f3ff152d.jpg

2) There was a constant whirring sound from the passenger(right) rear wheel. The guy who is selling it to me tells me that he just put in a new rotor and it needs some alignment?

3)The clutch is a bit hard to depress. The guy put in a new clutch and he tells me it needs some use to get a bit smoother?
I owned an Indica Vista for three years in my undergrad. The clutch on the Vista seemed much lighter.

It would be great, if other Bhpians would put share their views here.

Thank You,
Sree.
sreepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 18:16   #2554
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepy View Post
1) There is rust on the front suspension strut tower and the exhaust manifold. I hope it won't cause any troubles for at least a year.
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepy View Post

2) There was a constant whirring sound from the passenger(right) rear wheel. The guy who is selling it to me tells me that he just put in a new rotor and it needs some alignment?

3)The clutch is a bit hard to depress. The guy put in a new clutch and he tells me it needs some use to get a bit smoother?
I don't know why he changed the rotor on one side alone. Doesn't sound right. Does the sound come up only when the brakes are applied or in constant running?? If constant runnning, probably the wheel bearings or driveshafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepy View Post

3)The clutch is a bit hard to depress. The guy put in a new clutch and he tells me it needs some use to get a bit smoother?
Check master cylinder and slave cylinder. Check for fluid leakages from both and lines. Ask for reciept of clutch change. If all good then it might be how it is.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 02:29   #2555
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Question time again.
Now that spring started, I am using my Bike for my office commutes and my wife takes the car, Since we have the fliexibility I have never really pushed on for a second car.

My colleague is trading his 2001 Model F150 Trintron V8 120k miles for a 2013 Raptor SVT, He offered me his truck for 3K. I am seriously considering picking this up.

I am ok with the Bad suspension and Poor mileage (He gets 14 to the gallon) . My office commute is just 4 miles both way. (I can alternate with bike as well)

The truck is clean. CarFax is clean, and Its single owner with complete service history.

Should i go ahead? Are there any thing specifically that I need to get looked at if I am going to take the Plunge?

Thanks again
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 04:13   #2556
Team-BHP Support
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 14,801
Thanked: 2,312 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Have you thought about increase in Insurance premium?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 04:24   #2557
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Have you thought about increase in Insurance premium?
Strangely enough looks like I am maxed out as it is - with the car and the bike and now that 6 months are over, the New Premium from State farm for the
Truck, Car and the bike is a combined - 295$

Some more details on the Truck - Its 4x4, and has had its distributor cap, relays, battery, Tires, Brakes changed recently.


The owner is no hurry to sell it, and I can take my time

This is exactly how the truck looks like. I will take some pics and post it tomorrow.

Source : Google Images.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by ToroRosso : 8th May 2013 at 04:34. Reason: Added details
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 06:35   #2558
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Question time again.
Now that spring started, I am using my Bike for my office commutes and my wife takes the car, Since we have the fliexibility I have never really pushed on for a second car.

My colleague is trading his 2001 Model F150 Trintron V8 120k miles for a 2013 Raptor SVT, He offered me his truck for 3K. I am seriously considering picking this up.

I am ok with the Bad suspension and Poor mileage (He gets 14 to the gallon) . My office commute is just 4 miles both way. (I can alternate with bike as well)

The truck is clean. CarFax is clean, and Its single owner with complete service history.

Should i go ahead? Are there any thing specifically that I need to get looked at if I am going to take the Plunge?

Thanks again
Transmission?? I heard they give up around 100k on older fords??

That rebuild itself would be another 3k
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 07:24   #2559
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Transmission?? I heard they give up around 100k on older fords??
I was waiting for your thoughts on this. Is this really the case for F150s? I have been trolling a lot of F150 forums, and a lot of the owners have clocked over 300K on original motor and transmission.

I know older fords had bad transmission, but F150s were different due to the inherent simplicity and design robustness right?

Do you know any one who is owning an older generation Truck?

Is there a way for me to check if the transmission is going to have some trouble or is troublesome?
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 15:47   #2560
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I was waiting for your thoughts on this. Is this really the case for F150s? I have been trolling a lot of F150 forums, and a lot of the owners have clocked over 300K on original motor and transmission.

I know older fords had bad transmission, but F150s were different due to the inherent simplicity and design robustness right?

Do you know any one who is owning an older generation Truck?

Is there a way for me to check if the transmission is going to have some trouble or is troublesome?
I'm not sure about F-150's. A friend has a 2001 Explorer and its transmission needed a rebuild at 120K miles.

I trolled through the F-150 forums a bit & it seems nobody complains about the transmission. But it seems it was a problem for Older RAM's. So, maybe Ford was doing it right.

I have quite a few guys here who drive older RAM's , but not many who drive older F-150's.

THe usual symptoms before a transmission failure are jerks during shifting, erratic shifting etc. Sometimes they fail without symptoms.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 16:42   #2561
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
THe usual symptoms before a transmission failure are jerks during shifting, erratic shifting etc. Sometimes they fail without symptoms.
I had borrowed the truck yday to move some furniture. I went for a 50 mile round trip and I didnt find any jerkiness so far, but today morning after warming up, the truck was stalling at all the signals, After driving for around 10 miles or so this disappeared. I checked with the owner and he says this has been the case for the past 6 months or so. He suspect it has to do something with the distributor cap.

Is this something that I should be worried about?

Note : There is no dimming of lights or no problem with the battery.
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 18:48   #2562
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I had borrowed the truck yday to move some furniture. I went for a 50 mile round trip and I didnt find any jerkiness so far, but today morning after warming up, the truck was stalling at all the signals, After driving for around 10 miles or so this disappeared. I checked with the owner and he says this has been the case for the past 6 months or so. He suspect it has to do something with the distributor cap.

Is this something that I should be worried about?

Note : There is no dimming of lights or no problem with the battery.
Was it a jerky stall, or a smooth stall??

If it is jerky, I think something to do with the idle air control valves or something similar. When the throttle is closed- the engine still needs air to keep running. So there should be a seperate air circuit to keep the engine running when the foot is off the pedal. For some reason if it is blocked you could have a stall. The engine would starve of air and stall with some jerks.

If it is a smooth stall, maybe any of spark plugs/distributor/fuel pump/ injectors/injector wires/ injector power supply module/ fuel pump power supply... gives up. It is just like there is no more spark/fuel, so the stall would be like switching off the engine normally.

If smooth stall- I would check - spark plugs/distributor/fuel pump/ injectors/ injector power supply module/ fuel pump power supply/ injector wires. i would still check the Idle air control stuff too, maybe it is on its way out and it might be smoothly stalling initially.

Last edited by Jomz : 8th May 2013 at 18:55.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 19:16   #2563
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
If smooth stall- I would check - spark plugs/distributor/fuel pump/ injectors/ injector power supply module/ fuel pump power supply/ injector wires. i would still check the Idle air control stuff too, maybe it is on its way out and it might be smoothly stalling initially.
Jomz - Smooth Stall..

Spark plugs - Checked
Distributor - Checked
Injector Wires - Checked

I am going to take the truck to Pep Boyz now, will get these checked now

fuel pump
injector power supply modulefuel pump power supply
Idle air control

Anything else Geomy, that i need to get checked while at it?
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 22:33   #2564
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Jomz - Smooth Stall..

Spark plugs - Checked
Distributor - Checked
Injector Wires - Checked

I am going to take the truck to Pep Boyz now, will get these checked now

fuel pump
injector power supply module
fuel pump power supply
Idle air control

Anything else Geomy, that i need to get checked while at it?
Ignition coils - actually this might be used instead of Injector power supply.

And I don't know what all I've listed is on that engine model. Don't scream at me if the guys say there is no injector power supply module.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 23:45   #2565
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
And I don't know what all I've listed is on that engine model.
Thank bunch Jomz. I just got back and it seemed the distributor was tapping in moisture, they swapped with another truck and the problem doesnt seem to occur. I will check again tomorrow.

Heh, and the truck is home , I paid a princely sum of $2K for it..

The only problem I forsee at the moment is, I may have to relocate to Dearborn next year early, thats when the logisitcs/transportation going to pose issues.
ToroRosso is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in Europe Saarth The International Automotive Scene 25 9th November 2015 17:43
Car of the Year 2012 -North America volkman10 The International Automotive Scene 0 10th January 2012 17:31
President and COO of Toyota North America joins Chrysler highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 11 9th September 2007 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks