Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 29th May 2013, 01:23   #2686
BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Its definitely a great car for a regular driver, 200+ on the standard battery(60kW) is mighty impressive.
Any idea how much it costs? I read its 60K or so.. and has a wait period for delivery
TESLA to me is a no brainer for anyone looking for a luxury car. The price I believe range from $70K plus to $100k depending on the model and options selected. With a range of 300 miles for the performance version, battery charge is not even an issue since more than 95% of all driving is done within 50 miles by most people.

It's absolutely practical, the quality amazing and their technological offering just incredible. The car is directly sold to the buyer with no dealership in between. The car can be ordered online, if preferred, and will be delivered to your home, I believe there is a 2-month waiting for delivery. The electric motors need almost zero maintenance and the company offers a full concierge service if your car breaksdown. Someone will pick it up, give you a loaner and return the car when it's fixed.

You probably know by now that, it's the only vehicle that has ever scored 99/100 by Consumer Reports, not that I ever cared for their opinion. But even they had to acknowledge something special when they tested one. Instead of their usual trumpheting trying to convince the general public that the standard bearers of mediocrity, Camry and Accord are the greatest thing on 4 wheels.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 08:29   #2687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
The car costs about 60 k and has been rated really high by all the reviews. Jay Leno loved it too .
Ya haven't seen many around LA area, but they are umpteen up in North Cali. Might be since Tesla is based there

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
TESLA to me is a no brainer for anyone looking for a luxury car.
I jus loved the way the door handle pops and the super cool touch screen tablet thingy in the center console.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 29th May 2013 at 08:31.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 18:39   #2688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineeth47 View Post
I have been reading about the small SUV comparisons mentioned in the thread. I've bought a brand new Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited (2014 model) two weeks ago and the odo reads 400 miles now. As promised before, I'm posting a short review of the 2014 Forester as people may find it useful in their car shopping.
Congratulations on getting the New Subaru, where are the Pics? Please create an ownership report if you can, it would be helpful for others

On a side note, I find it funny that they have started calling the model years so much in advance now, earlier it would be around September 13 that they would have 2014 model, now they have 2014 model as early as May 2013 which is funny.

Quote:
Instead of their usual trumpheting trying to convince the general public that the standard bearers of mediocrity, Camry and Accord are the greatest thing on 4 wheels.
I really don't understand why people who own or are fond of performance machines ridicule the Camry's, Accord's & Altima's of the world.

You don't like it, that's fine, there is reason why variety exists in market but calling what the masses buy as mediocrity is something I don't agree to. After all there is a reason why these cars sell so well.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 18:59   #2689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Positives:

-- Adequate power. Even though the 2.5i is 170 HP, I didnt feel it any bit sluggish than my previous Accord Sport. Forester accelerates quickly and its a pleasure merging onto highways and passing other cars.
-- Quiet drive. Subaru has improved a lot with insulating the cabin from exterior noises as I can read from other owners.
-- MPG. I am consistently getting around 27+ mpg in my city driving (My Accord was in the 23-24 range).
Congratulations on the new car. Some pics are due.

Interesting - those are big improvements in my mind and coming from a previous generation Forester owner. Sometimes on uphill ramps and merges, I have a little heart in my mouth moment with the 2009 Forester - it just needs a lot of time to pick up speed. In my view, the acceleration is borderline adequate for the previous model. That said, am used to v6s and higher powered cars. The 2009 model is downright noisy - I would really like to drive the new version to get a comparo. And yes, with the CVT - you are going to see significant mpg improvements.
vineethvazhayil is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 21:46   #2690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I really don't understand why people who own or are fond of performance machines ridicule the Camry's, Accord's & Altima's of the world. calling what the masses buy as mediocrity is something I don't agree to.
There is no intention to ridicule these cars since they serve their purpose very well. But it would be nice for mags like Consumer Reports to acknowledge the existence of far more superior vehicles in the market within the earshot of the money you have to spend on these cars. We're talking $20-35K range for these cars, aren't we?

I'm sorry Technocrat, for that kinda money, what you're getting is mediocrity, no point putting lipstick on a pig. It has nothing to do with whether the masses buy it or not. The majority of people just want a people mover, which these cars serve very well. Well, let's be honest, that's all they do. Let's not hold up the fact that because the masses like something, it makes it better. The general public has been successfully programmed to believe that there isn't anythng better available within their budget which, we all know is simply untrue. Gotta give it to the Japs though, when they have successfully convinced most people that its best to aim for mediocrity.

As automobiles with everything that's entailed in the experience, tell me one thing, just one thing, that even remotely excite you about these cars. Heck, I find the old VW beetle far more interesting with its air cooled engine and the accompanying sounds. I would say an old MM540 is more exciting than these cars.

Last edited by VLOCT : 29th May 2013 at 21:53.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 00:09   #2691
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I'm sorry Technocrat, for that kinda money, what you're getting is mediocrity, no point putting lipstick on a pig. It has nothing to do with whether the masses buy it or not. The majority of people just want a people mover, which these cars serve very well. Well, let's be honest, that's all they do. Let's not hold up the fact that because the masses like something, it makes it better.
I agree with you on your first point That consumer reports should acknowledge others too.

As for these cars, they sell because they have a specific focus i.e. they provide what the masses want. Nothing wrong with that as most people are probably just looking for a transport vehicle with some bells & whistles.

What one finds exciting is IMO a relative term depends largely on an Individual's preference.

Again this is not because I own one, back in India people have/had similar attitude towards Maruti & Hyundai cars.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 17:47   #2692
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry Technocrat, for that kinda money, what you're getting is mediocrity, no point putting lipstick on a pig. It has nothing to do with whether the masses buy it or not. The majority of people just want a people mover, which these cars serve very well. Well, let's be honest, that's all they do. Let's not hold up the fact that because the masses like something, it makes it better. The general public has been successfully programmed to believe that there isn't anythng better available within their budget which, we all know is simply untrue. Gotta give it to the Japs though, when they have successfully convinced most people that its best to aim for mediocrity.

As automobiles with everything that's entailed in the experience, tell me one thing, just one thing, that even remotely excite you about these cars. Heck, I find the old VW beetle far more interesting with its air cooled engine and the accompanying sounds. I would say an old MM540 is more exciting than these cars.
As long as the Accord/Camry competetors don't convince the public that they have offerings in the same price range which is more exciting, I think probabaly the japs will rule the market.

It will take time, but I believe if there is better suited product for the market.. it will be eventually successfull. And 95% of the market is not enthusiasts- they just want some cheap, reliable transportation. A little bit of steeing feel, or a little bit of suspension and even probabaly looks don't matter much.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 19:59   #2693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
trumpheting trying to convince the general public that the standard bearers of mediocrity, Camry and Accord are the greatest thing on 4 wheels.
Quote:
I really don't understand why people who own or are fond of performance machines ridicule the Camry's, Accord's & Altima's of the world.
Quote:
Gotta give it to the Japs though, when they have successfully convinced most people that its best to aim for mediocrity.
Quote:
I agree with you on your first point That consumer reports should acknowledge others too.

Again this is not because I own one, back in India people have/had similar attitude towards Maruti & Hyundai cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
As long as the Accord/Camry competetors don't convince the public that they have offerings in the same price range which is more exciting, I think probabaly the japs will rule the market.
I think it is a very common thing for auto enthusiasts to really wonder why magazines and media and non auto enthusiasts like the so called "dumb" cars so much. I think the answer is in the statements a lot of us have already made. 99% of the car buyers need reliable point A to B transport which doesn't give up on them every now and then and when they do, they don't cost a bomb to get going again. That sentiment and segment has been brilliantly captured and championed by the Japs - I really give it to them for doing that. Of course demographics and preferences change over time - you can see that the Ford Fusion and Mazda 6 have had sales resurgences lately and they don't exactly fit the Toyota Camry Honda Accord mold - they are definitely more driver centric yet being comfortable family cruisers. Consumer Reports is in the business for selling more copies - they will definitely write about things their readers want to read - which would be the Accord and Camry. Auto enthusiasts and people who know cars well have their own methods and sources of understanding cars - they will go to those methods - the common car buying public will read CR which will continue to trumpet the Accord and the Camry!
vineethvazhayil is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 20:21   #2694

Quote:
Congratulations on getting the New Subaru, where are the Pics? Please create an ownership report if you can, it would be helpful for others
Thanks. I'll upload the pics as soon as possible.

Sure, I can create an ownership report. Is there an ownership report thread for vehicles from North America ? I couldnt find one. Please let me know where to post the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Congratulations on the new car. Some pics are due.

Interesting - those are big improvements in my mind and coming from a previous generation Forester owner. Sometimes on uphill ramps and merges, I have a little heart in my mouth moment with the 2009 Forester - it just needs a lot of time to pick up speed. In my view, the acceleration is borderline adequate for the previous model. That said, am used to v6s and higher powered cars. The 2009 model is downright noisy - I would really like to drive the new version to get a comparo. And yes, with the CVT - you are going to see significant mpg improvements.
Thank you and I'll post the pics soon. I'm sure you'll find it interesting to drive this newer model. Try to TD one at a dealership, or if you are around Chicagoland, PM me (I dont know how PM works; still a newbie with postings here) and you can try driving mine. The car is definitely quieter than my previous car and the other cars I drove recently and it feels more powerful than its 170 HP.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th May 2013 at 21:25.
vineeth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 21:26   #2695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. I'll upload the pics as soon as possible.

Sure, I can create an ownership report. Is there an ownership report thread for vehicles from North America ? I couldnt find one. Please let me know where to post the report.
Yes, Check Amitoj's Charger Ownership report
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 02:46   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you're ever in the market for a $70K plus luxury car, you would be doing a great disservice to yourself, if you don't seriously look at TESLA.

Damn, why I didn't pick that stock when offered I don't know especially, knowing that you don't bet against Elon Musk. Heck, the guy resupplied the International Space Station using his own rocket. Talk about Kahoonas.
I agree with you. I have top most respect for Tesla and the Model S is one that i love the most. If i had money to buy a brand new luxury sedan, yes, my money would have been on Tesla S but i feel we are still not at that stage where i can seriously consider it because of range anxiety.

BUT, in my book, there is no garage for a brand new car. Its always gonna be a pre-owned car.

And, in that department, Tesla for now is not a good option. Also, the s-class comment was just to show how diverse the segments can be when i shop cars.

I am with you as to why i didn't pick the stocks of Tesla. It would have been pretty awesome.

Last edited by chevelle : 31st May 2013 at 02:54.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 19:38   #2697
Distinguished - BHPian

All the car buying questions can now be referred to this flowchart, from Jalopnik
There are a few cars missing, like Prius, Charger and the most hotselling Camry/Accord
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-choose-car.jpg
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 20:04   #2698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
All the car buying questions can now be referred to this flowchart, from Jalopnik
There are a few cars missing, like Prius, Charger and the most hotselling Camry/Accord
I think as brilliantly argued and discussed earlier on this very own thread - if you want reliable a to b transportation and don't give a d**n about driving pleasure and some of the other enthusiast stuff, and you need a big family sedan - Camry and Accord! If you need a lot of fuel efficiency to go with that - Prius!
Quote:
That statement needs a modification
Isn't the highway FE of the Prius 48 mpg or so? Is that a fictional number that is just near impossible to achieve?

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 31st May 2013 at 20:28.
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 20:14   #2699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you need a lot of fuel efficiency to go with that - Prius!
That statement needs a modification. If you need a lof of fuel efficiency AND you mostly drive in city (that too a large one), then Prius. Anything above 15mph, you are running on gas. And if you are doing mostly highway miles, then the electric motor is not really doing much and all your extra cash that you plonked into the car is just sitting shut off.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 22:07   #2700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the highway FE of the Prius 48 mpg or so? Is that a fictional number that is just near impossible to achieve?
Some of my friends tell me that they have seen Prius achieve 50 mpg on freeways - at speeds of 55-60 mph. So it may not be impossible to achieve but it can be done.

Jetta TDi and Passat TDi matches it with more power and torque. Seen many who gets 40-45 mpg on Passat. Clearly a segment higher than Prius so its commendable.

Quote:
Anything above 15mph, you are running on gas. And if you are doing mostly highway miles, then the electric motor is not really doing much and all your extra cash that you plonked into the car is just sitting shut off.
Highway miles se yaad aya, Prius is the ONLY car in USA market that i hate with gusto. Especially when i encounter them in the passing lane (extreme left) going at 60 mph when the speed limit says 70mph on I-5 or any other freeways.

I do find other cars doing the same but most of them give way when they see a faster car coming in the passing lane. But not Prius. I think its directly related to the owners. In order to extract maximum FE, they do this and it pisses me off just like truck drivers do who overtakes other trailers at 2 mph faster.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote