Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 5th June 2013, 23:13   #2731
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Which location do you rent out off? Sometime local rental offices give nice upgrades if you are a regular.
I rent from a local rental, there in lies the advantage and the problem - advantage being they always try to go above and beyond with what car they give, problem being that their roster of cars if often very limited. Anyway, driving a midsize luxury sedan makes me feel any of these are a downgrade. So, I just drive whatever I get.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 23:28   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
It is usually easy. I have moved cars between states - just need to fill up forms, pay the fees, present documentation for the car - title/insurance/lienholder information etc.
Is it required to do the smog test before showing the vehicle to DMV officer?

Thanks,
Jose
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 23:37   #2733
BHPian

Quote:
I rent from a local rental, there in lies the advantage and the problem - advantage being they always try to go above and beyond with what car they give, problem being that their roster of cars if often very limited. Anyway, driving a midsize luxury sedan makes me feel any of these are a downgrade. So, I just drive whatever I get.
Ya that's true if the Local edition doesn't have a huge fleet then you end up with the same cars. Probably the local editions in Bay area have a better fleet.
BTW I'm driving a Equinox LTZ AWD this week and from driving Captiva Sport last week, Equinox though shares the same engine(i4 2.4L) feels much better, has better interiors but lacks boot space(compared to Captiva), and a zillion buttons in center console
Captiva didn't have much to say bout interiors but its clean and simple, I guess its cuz the Captivas are fleet only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Is it required to do the smog test before showing the vehicle to DMV officer?

Thanks,
Jose
Yes to register car in CA DMV you need to have the SMOG test done.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 5th June 2013 at 23:38. Reason: merged post
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 04:23   #2734
Senior - BHPian

With Mazda winning comparos left, right and center, i still don't get why it doesn't translate to sales volume.

First the Mazda6 which have got rave reviews from all magazine and now CX-5 and i expect the new Mazda3 to do the same. Still they can hardly match the units that Camry and Accords or Escape and CR-V do every month.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...xle-awd-page-3

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

In may, Camry sold astonishing 39k units while Mazda6 managed paltry 4000 units. Even if I think there is production delay for Mazda6, the number doesn't bode well considering the praise it get.

Any insights on this?
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 05:39   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

Any insights on this?
Very good topic chev, i have wondered as well.Could be due to the perceived "lack of engine longevity" as opposed to a Camary/Accord or an Altima. I have never come across a lot of Mazda 6 owners in any forums boasting of 200K+ mileage.

As a Mazda 6 owner, one of the reasons I can come up with is the ridiculous gas mileage. I am getting 21-22 mpg in my car where as my Truck over the same route gives me 16-17 mpg .
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 06:31   #2736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
With Mazda winning comparos left, right and center, i still don't get why it doesn't translate to sales volume.

Any insights on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Very good topic chev, i have wondered as well.
There are more reasons in my view. Mazda is a small manufacturer - they have lesser production volumes, lesser number of dealers, lesser marketing and sales budget and smaller everything else. Most of the dealers are in the big metro areas - they just don't have the same reach as a Toyota or a Honda. Also the traditional image of Mazda is more for sporty and fun as compared to a other Japanese manufacturers.

Let's assume there was demand for 30k Mazda 6s a month, will Mazda even be able to fulfill that demand?
Old 6th June 2013, 07:33   #2737
BHPian

Many brands like Jag, Land Rover, Aston Martin, Volvo didn't do good under Ford leadership and Mazda was one of them till 2010. Its brand image end of the day and Mazda doesn't have a flagship model or "the" performance car to boast around except a FWD Mazdaspeed3 with enough understeer. Mazda is a decent brand and the campaign zoom-zoom worked well but there's more to be done.
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 18:13   #2738
BHPian

Mazda had the RX8 till recently. That was Mazda's flagship car.

I think it compared well with other flagships (Mustangs, s2000, 350Z, etc). There were issues with realiablity and Mpg of course.

Miata still has a cult following.
I do believe Mazda has more sportscars in their lineup than Honda.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 18:27   #2739
Team-BHP Support

Another thing to note is that Toyota does rental fleet sales which Honda doesn't & neither does Mazda as far as i Know.

More than anything IMO its the brand recognition which is not letting then increase their sales. I guess if they keep making good cars & do good marketing, the sales should improve over time.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 19:09   #2740
BHPian

Enterprise has a good number of Mazdas in their fleet. Infact I remember last year I kept getting mails from local Mazda dealer after I took a rental from Enterprise with discounts on their Mazda 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Another thing to note is that Toyota does rental fleet sales which Honda doesn't & neither does Mazda as far as i Know.

More than anything IMO its the brand recognition which is not letting then increase their sales. I guess if they keep making good cars & do good marketing, the sales should improve over time.
Interesting topic chev, I read a few days/weeks ago in another auto site(don't remember where) that Mazda was happy with their sales on CX5s. The site quoted something like, what Mazda feels Good is just alright when compared to other auto makers!

May be its in the company philosophy itself, they are just not being aggressive enough. Could be due to their low production capacity here?

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 6th June 2013 at 19:18.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 19:36   #2741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Mazda had the RX8 till recently. That was Mazda's flagship car.

I think it compared well with other flagships (Mustangs, s2000, 350Z, etc). There were issues with realiablity and Mpg of course.

Miata still has a cult following.
I do believe Mazda has more sportscars in their lineup than Honda.
The rotary engine in RX8 had/has reliability issues though it was a great performing engine. Mazda is working on the rotary engine concept again and promised to come out with a more reliable one. I guess no one cares for MPG's when one floors the pedal

Miata is a budget convertible sports car which was a huge success in US but somehow it lost its cool, not that there's any problem with it but maybe not enough publicity.

I still feel Mazda doesn't have a successful sports car or I would say a super car under their belt like Honda S2000, Acura NSX, Toyota Supra and F86, Nissan GTR, Subaru WRX STI, Mitsubishi EVO. All these cars were a huge success and speaks for their brand.

Media to blame?
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 19:44   #2742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Enterprise has a good number of Mazdas in their fleet. Infact I remember last year I kept getting mails from local Mazda dealer after I took a rental from Enterprise with discounts on their Mazda 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
The rotary engine in RX8 had/has reliability issues though it was a great performing engine.
Mazda and Honda both have rental fleet sales. I have a Mazda on rent now. I know there are a lot Mazda 3s and 6s on rental fleets all over the country. I have seen Civics and Accords on renta as well. But yeah, that is not a focus area for Honda or Mazda.

I don't think we can call the RX8 a flagship. I mean of course it is a fun little car - but does it really qualify to be the identifier for the brand - perhaps no - especially with the quirky looks and very high maintenance requirements. It does have the cool Wankel engine and an astronomical 9k RPM redline and a very fun to drive chassis. Perhaps Mazda should do a coupe and roadster of the next gen Miata - make the appeal more broader - compete on a more level terms with the GT86/FRS/BRZ. Who knows, if they make a scalable platform, they can even make a cheap small RWD sedan and price it under 30k?
Old 6th June 2013, 20:26   #2743
BHPian

One line of thought is that Mazda is a smaller company and hence it places itself in a niche (non-luxury consumer sport) corner of the US market. Obviously their play space may well be less than 10% of the entire field considering that 90% of consumers (by internet hearsay) do not care for sporty vehicles. Until Mazda offers a true mainstream midsize car they will continue to be a small volume player in this huge (non-luxury non-sport consumer) segment dominated by the Camry, Accord, Fusion, Malibu, Sonata, Altima etc. Too much touting of it's sportiness may be the reason for Mazda's low volume, but it may also be a deliberate attempt at distinction.

Seita Kanai, Representative Director and Executive Vice President at Mazda Motor Corporation: “Larger automakers can and do aim for the centre of the strike zone. Yet if we first took aim at the same course and threw, it would not enable the customer to find a reason to buy a Mazda. Too much competition. That is why Mazda does not aim for the centre, but shifts away from it. All Mazda cars must be distanced from this vector, rather than be in the centre of the market. Where do we target? Inside high.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 6th June 2013 at 20:28.
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 22:09   #2744
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks I was not sure of Mazda, I thought they did but wasn't sure.

Quote:
Mazda and Honda both have rental fleet sales.
Are you sure? I have never seen an Accord or Civic as rental anywhere.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 22:15   #2745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks I was not sure of Mazda, I thought they did but wasn't sure.

Are you sure? I have never seen an Accord or Civic as rental anywhere.
I remember reading also - Honda has about 2.5% of fleet sales for Accord - which includes government and other fleets and car rental companies. The numbers are really low as compared to the other midsize competition who sell a lot more to the fleets. I did see Honda's in person at Enterprise at least a couple of times.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote