Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 24th July 2013, 01:07   #2911
BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Thanks a ton for your helpful replies guys. So its gotta be the regular T or H's, I thought I would be advised of some other options at TBHP than the routine desi options..

Thanks a lot!
Ya how much ever desi's hate them you just can't get away from them They are the best when it comes to reliability and overall value for money.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 01:42   #2912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for your helpful replies guys. So its gotta be the regular T or H's,
Depends on your risk appetite

There is a low miles Miata also available somewhere in your area for 6K
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...51092715&Log=0

It is quite an old model though

Or a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix done 44K miles

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...48561502&Log=0

And many more such examples.

I searched for all cars for less than 6K around Edison, NJ area and sorted them from low to high miles. The first H or T to come up was a 1997 Honda Civic for 5.5K, done 61K miles!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 02:53   #2913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Depends on your risk appetite
Totally agree.
For an eg, I bought a 01, Mustang with 60k odd miles for around 7k a couple of years ago. It gave me no trouble, but for the regular maintenance.

There are umpteen choices with American cars for your budget, but the risk lies in the price you want when you sell it back and how sure are you that the car will take you from A to B every time.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 02:53   #2914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

I searched for all cars for less than 6K around Edison, NJ area and sorted them from low to high miles. The first H or T to come up was a 1997 Honda Civic for 5.5K, done 61K miles!
The city is the problem - Edison is more than 50% Indians and hence there are a ton of cars with a high expected sale value. It would be a good idea to search nearby - maybe 50 miles out - goto Jersey City or New York City - you may get a lot more options with the H and T badges.

A friend of mine just recently bought a 2003 Corolla - he just left to complete the formalities now - he got it for 6700$ total including TTL and a 6 month warranty. We drove 5-6 other cars in the same price range from other brands (2004 Nissan Sentra, 2005 Mazda 6 etc.) - trust me, none of them seemed to have held up in the same condition as the Corolla, even though it has had 4 owners already. I just guess they are better put together and built to last by Toyota. There must be some method to the T & H madness.
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 03:43   #2915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
The city is the problem - Edison is more than 50% Indians and hence there are a ton of cars with a high expected sale value. It would be a good idea to search nearby - maybe 50 miles out - goto Jersey City or New York City - you may get a lot more options with the H and T badges.
I tried Edison only as an example.

I've seen the conditions of cars in Jersey City and NYC. It is quite normal for them to have scratches and little dents all over. But I guess that should not really matter to Cyclops.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 03:48   #2916
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for your helpful replies guys. So its gotta be the regular T or H's, I thought I would be advised of some other options at TBHP than the routine desi options..

Thanks a lot!
Wait you never said you need an enthusiast car, where you are ready to get your hands dirty!

One of my friend bought a BMW 5 series 2001 for 8k with 115k Miles on it. He loves it.

He changed the bulbs in the front and set him back by 500 bucks. If you are ready for it, then we are ready to give you upteen ideas.
Fraz33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 15:57   #2917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
+1 to that

E.g. Most cars of 04 '05 with 100k+ miles need to have their timing belts replaced. Check for Transmission Fluids; Brake Fluids et.all
Most T's have timing chains. No need for replacement.

In other news, I replaced my front brake pads myself yesterday (and found that the rotor are shot). Never knew it was so easy. It just need 1 wrench and a C clamp other than the tools in the trunk.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 16:50   #2918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
In other news, I replaced my front brake pads myself yesterday (and found that the rotor are shot). Never knew it was so easy. .

Nice. Do you have photos of the shot rotors? I am planning to do this for my truck, i get a progressively spongy feeling from the brakes. The brake fluid is good, I dont know if its a problem with the rotor or the brake pads.

Do you have any weekend plans ?
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 18:10   #2919
BHPian

^^ I was going to ask the same. If there are any pics.

Apparently my Steering Vibrates when I am slowing down from high speeds and the suspected cause for it is the Rotors are gone Bad.

However MIDAS, had just replaced them a year back and I am not sure why this is happening. Any probable wild guesses?
Old 24th July 2013, 18:12   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Nice. Do you have photos of the shot rotors? I am planning to do this for my truck, i get a progressively spongy feeling from the brakes. The brake fluid is good, I dont know if its a problem with the rotor or the brake pads.

Do you have any weekend plans ?
Spongy feeling might be air in the system , try a bleed of the lines. That is even easier - open a valve at atime and pump the brakes . You need 2 people though.

Till the change my brakes worked great, but there was this funny metal to metal sound from the brakes at low speeds. I bought some new pads and thought, I'll work on this in my test cell tech's apartment. He was wtching closely - because i did not want to screw up on brakes.

Well, Now I'm running with the shot rotors and new pads.

You could feel the rotors and see that they were shot. Once the tire was off, I turned the steering to see the back side of the rotor. The front side ( the side which you see through the wheels) looked great- but the rear pad had completely worn off and the metal was touching the rotor. there was still pad material on the front side.

The rear side of the rotor had pits, quite a bit of rust and other funny looking stuff. Since I did not have rotors on hand, I just put in new pads. I would expect only 10k miles of this set of pads, since i was told in a shot rotor, the pads would wear out real fast because of all the unevenness in the rotor. Let me see if i can get a pic of the shot rotor from the net.

$70 for OEM Ceramic pads is expensive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
^^ I was going to ask the same. If there are any pics.

Apparently my Steering Vibrates when I am slowing down from high speeds and the suspected cause for it is the Rotors are gone Bad.

However MIDAS, had just replaced them a year back and I am not sure why this is happening. Any probable wild guesses?

Yes , my tech told me that the first sign of shot rotors is vibration in steering wheel under jerking. Cheap rotors from NAPA/AUTOZONE warp easily and that might be a reason. Try Getting OEM parts online - from the dealer they have a significant markup and replace those.

My tech told Rotors + pads on the front is like 1 hour for a guy who does not know anyathing about them. Pads are like 30 mins. He showed me the bolts to remove to get to the rotor also.

Last edited by Jomz : 24th July 2013 at 18:22.
Jomz is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 20:56   #2921
Senior - BHPian

I got my rotor and pads changed a few months back and now I am noticing vibrations when braking at above 70mph. what else could be wrong apart from a warped rotor? it feels smooth at lower speeds.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 22:20   #2922
BHPian

Found a pic. My rotor insides looked like this

http://cdnedge.vinsolutions.com/deal...ervicepic7.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I got my rotor and pads changed a few months back and now I am noticing vibrations when braking at above 70mph. what else could be wrong apart from a warped rotor? it feels smooth at lower speeds.
Found a link which could explain some of the reasons.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/ste...ing-or-braking

In addition to that Improperly tightened lugnuts also can cause a vibration. Maybe take tires off and tighten them again???

Last edited by Jomz : 24th July 2013 at 22:27.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 22:33   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Yup Exactly the same. In fact the MIDAS guy was asking me do you hard brake your car too much? Drive on highway as much? The brake Rotors were having scratched marks on them

I was like dude, I have been driving this vehicle for 3+ years now how can my driving habits suddenly change after the rotors were installed to even damage them so soon? I think he is trying to shake of the warranty on it.

BTW my office is in 10 mile radius.

Last edited by Fraz33r : 24th July 2013 at 22:34. Reason: Added content
Old 24th July 2013, 22:46   #2924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

Hope your friend found some solution. Keep us updated.
Chev - Regarding the Oil change issue, Managed to get the RCA. It was a Cat Con issue and they had to replace the Cat Con, cost her around 1K. Quite funny how it started acting up immediately after the oil change. The garage told her its unrelated and is a weird coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Found a pic. My rotor insides looked like this

http://cdnedge.vinsolutions.com/deal...ervicepic7.gif
Thanks Jomy.
Looks like I better take it to go the garage, I watched a Youtube video of the brake pad install for F150, and it looks quite difficult as a DIY :(
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 23:54   #2925
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:

Thanks a lot!
You can consider Nissan Maxima/Altima too. Equally relable as T and H, but cheaper
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote