Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 4th October 2013, 23:40   #3316
BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
No family hauling yet

Looks like I need to check out the Miata, for some reason I always assumed its a chick car.
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=MX5

Read the specs. These are some of the most detailed specs I have ever seen. This seems to the only car in this price range that's designed from the factory to be tracked.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 23:45   #3317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
4,SLK ( yes, this came in MT and are quite rare & cheap)/Z4 - Style points. You might get one cheap which is out of warranty. Saw a 2005 SLK 250 MT with 146k miles in my local craigslist for 9.5k

5, Z4M's
the link which follows is from a dealer who specializes only in M cars. There is an 07 Z4M right at 30K. No extended warranty, but everybody who bought from him is extremely satisfied and they have buy back on their cars.
I was just talkin to chevelle bout the 370z too

Wont the maintenance on a older German steed be higher compared to the newer ones?
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 00:03   #3318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=MX5

Read the specs. These are some of the most detailed specs I have ever seen. This seems to the only car in this price range that's designed from the factory to be tracked.
Looks like I have to TD the MX5 and 370z this weekend. Impressed by the MX5, esp the price factor too
Old 5th October 2013, 00:07   #3319
BHPian

Quote:
I was just talkin to chevelle bout the 370z too

Wont the maintenance on a older German steed be higher compared to the newer ones?
Mail Eric, the owner of enthusiast auto- He is pretty accurate on maintenance costs.

I'm attaching a mail which I got earlier from him regarding a E46 M3.

"XXXX,

If you were to drive out of our facility with any of the 2004-2006 M3's we currently have available the first year would require basically nothing more than oil changes. The inspection 2 needs to be done every 30K miles and runs about $1,200 at our facility which includes the valve adjustment. Average cost after the first year, $1,500-2K annually will keep the car in excellent condition mechanically speaking."
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 00:33   #3320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
What are your preferences when looking for an enthusiast car? Power, handling, feedback, looks, mod potential? Of course you would like to have all of them but in what order of preference?
In truth, a true enthusiast car would not compromise on any of these factors. I know, when I evaluate these cars, I simply will not compromise on any of these. What's the point then of paying the extra dollar, in addition to, taking on the additional maintenance expense? With your budget, I simply would not compromise until I get what I want, even if it takes a year. Now that's the catch isn't it, for all enthusiast. The part about the patience.

You are however, forgetting the most important factor for a sports car. REAR WHEEL DRIVE. That's a compromise I simply will not accept, no matter if the vehicle's reliability record. You'll suddently find your options now cut down to a handful. Personally, any car with less than 250 lb.ft torque is automatically out of the picture. BHP without torque to match is a sports/GT car in name only.

Quote:
Yah, you gotta pay to play. Goes with the territory. Keep in mind, after the warranty period, BMWs are the most expensive to maintain of all regular manufacturers, not counting Ferraris and such.

I would think twice about Z4s though. The storyline on them is the hard suspension. My friend dread going any long distance on them last more than a couple of hours. May not be an issue with you.

Don't know your feeling about a low mileage Solstice GXP/Saturn Redline (consider only the turbo models). Not that easy to get your hands on a real good one, though. I believe only around 5000 of each were made, not sure. They have their drawbacks but, you can't fault the handling, power and the looks. The LNF 2.0 liter turbo engine is pure ecstacy. The block is really good for 500 bhp. The mileage is mid 20s even under hard driving. Dash quality, guage layout is mediocre at best. I've heard complaints about uncomfortable seats for some. Was not an issue for me. I bought mine new and so is completely customized to my needs. Not one issue in the last 4 years. I just had the warrant extended (true bumper to bumper) under GM Major Guard for an other 4 years with a $100 deductible. It'll take something special to get that outta my hand. If I spring for the Alpha 4C (more than a year away at the current US delivery for the convertible), I will sell it and I would love to see it go to a BHPian.

Last edited by VLOCT : 5th October 2013 at 00:34.
VLOCT is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 00:42   #3321
BHPian

1 more which I just thought about

1, RX8. Amazing handling, 9000 rpm engine. horrible reliability ( Comes with a 100k 7 year transferable engine warranty though) Horrible resale, Horrible mpg's. you might like this more than the Miata though.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 00:48   #3322
BHPian

Couple of pictures from y'day TBHP meet in Bay Area - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3257234 (West Coast - USA meet @ Napa).

-- Jose
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 01:07   #3323
BHPian

Quote:
Mail Eric, the owner of enthusiast auto- He is pretty accurate on maintenance costs.
Sent him a note Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
In truth, a true enthusiast car would not compromise on any of these factors.
You are however, forgetting the most important factor for a sports car. REAR WHEEL DRIVE.
That was super helpful and detailed VLCOT.
Yes Definitely RWD is a major requirement. Having drove a RWD for close to 3 yrs, I'm sure i will not enjoy a FWD.
I guess I have some amazing options, now I have to get to work on figuring out the pros'/cons and TD a bunch of the cars.
Like you said its more of patience too esp while looking for a used car, but sometimes my mind rules me over. I just have to keep sane thorough the process.

Quote:
1 more which I just thought about

1, RX8. Amazing handling, 9000 rpm engine. horrible reliability ( Comes with a 100k 7 year transferable engine warranty though) Horrible resale, Horrible mpg's. you might like this more than the Miata though.
One of my friend has a manual RX7( I think) a '87 model. Man it was rough not judging the car by his though.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 5th October 2013 at 01:13.
Old 5th October 2013, 03:12   #3324
BHPian

Maybe you can get your hands on one of these, Solstice GXP coupe. Less than 1300 made. The entire top is removable. Only problem, you gotta leave it at home.

Honestly, how many cars can boast that kinda finger licking good looks, with the performance to match, in that price range?

From what I hear, the owners are tenacious in hanging on to them. I saw couple of plain Solstice coupe's on Auto trader. I wouldn't bother on any Solstice/Sky non-turbos.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-solsticecoupe_rev2000.jpg  

VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 03:57   #3325
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you can get your hands on one of these, Solstice GXP coupe. Less than 1300 made. The entire top is removable. Only problem, you gotta leave it at home.

Honestly, how many cars can boast that kinda finger licking good looks, with the performance to match, in that price range?

From what I hear, the owners are tenacious in hanging on to them. I saw couple of plain Solstice coupe's on Auto trader. I wouldn't bother on any Solstice/Sky non-turbos.
There are a few on sale around here too. Will try to have a look on it soon. How are the spares and maintenance issues considering its stopped production? And also since only a hand few were made. Would that cause concern a few yrs later?
Old 5th October 2013, 04:08   #3326
BHPian

Quote:
There are a few on sale around here too. Will try to have a look on it soon. How are the spares and maintenance issues considering its stopped production? And also since only a hand few were made. Would that cause concern a few yrs later?
Remember, only the GXP is worth considering. And if you're interested, you should widen your search nationwide. This is probably the right time to pick one up before the public decides whether these are rare enough and valued enough for the prices to start going up. I have my doubts on that, but you never know with low production cars. Auto Trader has couple of plain coupe's for high 20s and low 30s and a silver coupe with only 6500 miles priced in the $30s. I expect the GXPs to be priced $30s and higher for low mileage cars. I do not expect them to go much lower, lower for a while. If you can get one closer to the $30k mark, I think it'll be a great deal.

You will have no issues with spares and maintenance for a very long time. My 'vert is a 2008 model bought new in 2009 and I have warranty till 2016. That's 7 years of ownership with a $100 deductible for the last 4 years of ownership. How can you beat that?

Get a low mileage car, most of the coupe's should be, and keep it for a reasonably long time. You can easily get GM Major Guard extended warranty, they're excellent, even for 7 years, for very affordable prices. Just get the warranty online, much cheaper than getting it from most dealers, although, these are also provided mostly by certain dealers.

Last edited by VLOCT : 5th October 2013 at 04:31.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 07:15   #3327
BHPian

Quote:
Remember, only the GXP is worth considering. And if you're interested, you should widen your search nationwide. This is probably the right time to pick one up before the public decides whether these are rare enough and valued enough for the prices to start going up. I have my doubts on that, but you never know with low production cars. Auto Trader has couple of plain coupe's for high 20s and low 30s and a silver coupe with only 6500 miles priced in the $30s. I expect the GXPs to be priced $30s and higher for low mileage cars. I do not expect them to go much lower, lower for a while. If you can get one closer to the $30k mark, I think it'll be a great deal.
Yes was indeed looking for the GXP tag.
Old 6th October 2013, 00:02   #3328
BHPian

Guys, need help.

A friend moved to US this week. He wants to buy a used car for temporary use and plans to buy a new car after 6-8 months, when he feels settled.

His budget is $7000 max. So what are the options in this range? Of course his preference is with Toyota, Honda and Nissan, but wouldn't mind other brands as well. I don't have much exp with used market as I bought a new car right away when I came here.

This is in Bay Area btw.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 01:30   #3329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Guys, need help.

A friend moved to US this week. He wants to buy a used car for temporary use and plans to buy a new car after 6-8 months, when he feels settled.

His budget is $7000 max. So what are the options in this range? Of course his preference is with Toyota, Honda and Nissan, but wouldn't mind other brands as well. I don't have much exp with used market as I bought a new car right away when I came here.

This is in Bay Area btw.
I'd suggest him to go for a new car in the first place. Since he's new and settling down, buying an old car and then replacing it with a new car in 7-8 months won't be a practical approach if you think from financial point.

I was also in the same situation 2 years back. I bought a used car thinking of replacing it within in 1 year. But I'm still driving my old one. He should also consider about living expenses in bay area.

-- Jose
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 06:38   #3330
BHPian

Quote:
Yes was indeed looking for the GXP tag.
Forgot to mention one crucial thing that might be a negative for you. This is not a very practical car. limited trunk space. It's purely an enthusiast car.

My wiife and I however, use this car for all our trips, even up to 5 days. We have mastered the art of packing light with everything needed in flexible duffel bags that fit in the trunk. There is enough room for suprising amount of groceries but, not for very large items like bathroom tissues etc, if two people are in the car. But like I said, this car was never intended for these, anyway. It needs consideration, though.

Another factor, the factory Good Year tires sucks on wet roads. Not a factor in Vegas, but where wet and snowy conditions are common, these tires need to be replaced with other brands.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote