Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 11th December 2013, 07:41   #3511
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I had a look around locally, and got a deal of Installation+ Mounting + Wheel alignment for Michelin Primacy MXV4 - 699$

Is this a good deal or should i be going via tire track?
OEM Size - 205/16/65
699 seems a bit high to me. I recently got tires changed for Ford Focus, 205/50/16 Bridgestones from NTB here. Total cost for all 4 including tire disposal and a 135$ Buy Two Get Two oil changes was around 815$

Look around a bit more and you might get better deals.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 07:59   #3512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Ford Focus, 205/50/16 Bridgestones .

Look around a bit more and you might get better deals.
Amit - Which BridgeStone model? I ll have a look here.
I looked at the NTB website and for the MXV4 it comes to 158 per tire all inclusive,(Unfortunately no NTB in KY).

EDIT -
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I did have a feeling something was wrong there. You are also changing all 4
I was on the fence wether to change 2 or change all 4 ,bit the bullet and changing all 4. Did you do a wheel alignment after installing the new tires or just wheel balance was enough.

The Local tire dudes have agreed to throw in a wheel alignment as well.

Last edited by ToroRosso : 11th December 2013 at 08:25. Reason: response to Amit with in the edit time.
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 08:15   #3513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amit - Which BridgeStone model? I ll have a look here.
I looked at the NTB website and for the MXV4 it comes to 158 per tire all inclusive,(Unfortunately no NTB in KY).
I did have a feeling something was wrong there. You are also changing all 4 (i thought you were changing two only) For 4 tires, 700 seems ok.
I got some mail in rebate too that i am yet to send out
Old 11th December 2013, 18:59   #3514
Team-BHP Support

Arrow

Quote:
I had a look around locally, and got a deal of Installation+ Mounting + Wheel alignment for Michelin Primacy MXV4 - 699$

Is this a good deal or should i be going via tire track?
OEM Size - 205/16/65
For 4 MXV4 tires with balance / mounting & wheel alignment price seems good enough.

As far as winter usage - these are all-season tires that are a 50-50 trade-off between summer & winter usage.

So you should be OK if you see only an occasional snow/freeze in KY.

Quote:
Did you do a wheel alignment after installing the new tires or just wheel balance was enough.
Wheel balance is enough when you're changing tires. Wheel alignment can be checked maybe once a year or about 10,000 miles (opinions vary) or sooner if you keep hitting potholes.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th December 2013 at 19:02.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 19:46   #3515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you do a wheel alignment after installing the new tires or just wheel balance was enough.
Yeah I got wheel alignment done as well, since I had never got it done on this car. Also one of the tires was showing uneven wear.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:34   #3516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
For 4 MXV4 tires with balance / mounting & wheel alignment price seems good enough.

Thanks Buch aah78,amit.
I am just back from the tire dealer. Suddenly he is not able to source all 4 MXV4s and claims they are out of stock and he can only have it done after a week and may not be able to price match.

I placed an order with Tirerack for Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology - Total came to 505$ (452$ + 53$ shipping) . They will ship to a preferred installer and installation and alignment will cost - 150$. Grand total - 655$.

I have set up an appointment for tomorrow to get it done.

Regards,
Vivek
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 20:56   #3517
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, need advice on which car to choose:

Driver: experienced, and has experience of driving in US. about 5'6" in height.
Will be based in TX. Mainly for personal travel & holidays. Family: just he & his wife. Wife wont be driving.

Options: Camry vs RAV4

your thoughts, please.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 03:44   #3518
BHPian

My current drive in Phoenix , Nissan juke. Nothing special about this car except for its quirky looks.
Attached Images

mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 06:43   #3519
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
My current drive in Phoenix , Nissan juke. Nothing special about this car except for its quirky looks.

Its a very cute car indeed. Will do brilliantly well in India given our craze for small crossover type vehicles. Ideal for the urban yuppie couple.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 10:05   #3520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Will be based in TX. Mainly for personal travel & holidays. Family: just he & his wife. Wife wont be driving.

your thoughts, please.
Does he enjoy driving? Values a bit of feedback or just needs a Pt A to B car?

If its the former he prefer, camry is not a good option - mazda6/accord/fusion will be better. if its the latter, camry should be fine.

Same for RAV4. If he values even a small amount of pleasure driving a car, RAV4 is the last SUV he should consider. CX-5, Escape and Cherokee will be better.

Otherwise, you cannot go wrong with Camry or RAV4. Its just that you won't find many fans of those here, but if it fits their requirement, its a great buy.

My vote would be Accord Sport/Mazda 6 or CX-5/CR-V in respective category (As he seems to be smitten by Japanese cars looking at options you gave).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Its a very cute car indeed. Will do brilliantly well in India given our craze for small crossover type vehicles. Ideal for the urban yuppie couple.
From that angle, it looks cute. Wait till you see the front.

Last edited by chevelle : 16th December 2013 at 10:07.
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 10:14   #3521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Otherwise, you cannot go wrong with Camry or RAV4. Its just that you won't find many fans of those here, but if it fits their requirement, its a great buy.

My vote would be Accord Sport/Mazda 6 or CX-5/CR-V in respective category (As he seems to be smitten by Japanese cars looking at options you gave).
Thanks, Chevelle !
It's not smitten, as much as other reasons. He is there in US, but not on a GC. Someday he will sell it. So one of the points he is also thinking of is the re-sale, and you know how the desi crowd is about Toyota's.

So how do we find the balance here, between being able to easily sell the car vs the options you have mentioned ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 05:40   #3522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Chevelle !
It's not smitten, as much as other reasons. He is there in US, but not on a GC. Someday he will sell it. So one of the points he is also thinking of is the re-sale, and you know how the desi crowd is about Toyota's.

So how do we find the balance here, between being able to easily sell the car vs the options you have mentioned ?
From the options I listed, resale should not be hard. If it is 3 yrs or less, Lease may be a good option.

Obviously, there is an option of buying a used one in which case it will hurt less if the time comes to sell in 3yrs or less. again used car market is hot right now for family cars so it may not be the best option.

If new is only option, get a Toyota or Honda and it is all good. Resale won't be a problem as looking at current scenario, demand of used cars is a lot and don't see it dying in next 3yrs at least

Lease is available at low prices if he doesn't want to own one and drives less than 15k. In this case, as 3yrs are up, just turn it in. Nothing to worry and walk free. Only thing is, if he decides to keep car after, it will be expensive to own.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 03:41   #3523
BHPian

Quote:

your thoughts, please.
If the choice has been narrowed down to these two vehicles, then the hardest part of the car buying process has already been overcome! For Texas weather and for just 2 passengers there isn't a case in favor of either among the two vehicles shortlisted above. Flip a coin and go for any of the two, really.

I always recommend buying used but also respect the fact that to some buying new equates to peace of mind. If your friend can afford a new car (cash down or via a loan), go for it. If he is strapped for cash (can only afford down payment) or faces hurdles in obtaining a full loan on favorable terms (no credit history) then a lease or a low priced used vehicle would be the more feasible options.

As a passing note, buying a car with a view to sell it makes little sense. Resale value is a valid consideration, but one wouldn't want it to be the pivotal one. Further, both the vehicles you have shortlisted do hold value decently, but ultimately it depends on your personal skills of negotiations on how much you really extract from the vehicle's next buyer. I usually pass on my vehicles to someone in the community even if it means selling it at a slight 'notional' loss...because after 3/4/5 years of usage it really doesn't matter to me that I get $500 less for the car from a needy student, a friend's just-in-college son, or a just-off-the-boat desi, rather than selling it to a dealer. Just my thoughts on the resale process, not trying to sell you my funda's

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 18th December 2013 at 03:54.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 05:54   #3524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post

As a passing note, buying a car with a view to sell it makes little sense. Resale value is a valid consideration, but one wouldn't want it to be the pivotal one.
I have felt that is the number one consideration for most Indian car buyers in the US - if you are not car guys that is and all you need is reliable point A to point B transportation that can be sold off without huge losses. To each his own though, I cannot worry about resale value when I buy a car, in fact, who can predict the future!
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 03:17   #3525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I have felt that is the number one consideration for most Indian car buyers in the US - if you are not car guys that is and all you need is reliable point A to point B transportation that can be sold off without huge losses. To each his own though, I cannot worry about resale value when I buy a car, in fact, who can predict the future!
Hah, true.
As the saying "buy a car from an old person" goes, I can say on similar lines that buy a used Camry from a desi blindfolded. There is a good chance that his resale anxiety has forced him to take better care of the car than even his toddler son

I am reminded of a good friend from olden times from the San Jose area, who 'protected' his dear Camry from the dreaded depreciation by making expensive rentals for all the excursions he undertook for a few years to the usual places of tourist pilgrimage on the West coast - (mostly just him and his wife on the tours). I literally calculated and showed him that he had spent way more on unnecessary rentals than he saved on mileage related depreciation on the Camry, but this crack engineer from Oracle did not budge.

So as you correctly say, 'resale' is a different ghost for each one of us
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote