Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 00:52   #3781
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: A2
Posts: 33
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I have a query to all the experts here. I was changing my air filter for my genesis and i was stumped between going for a regular OEM vs K&N(just a replacement and not a Cold air intake). Could someone suggest the pros and cons as i did notice regular air filter was $20 bucks and K&N was $55. Is it worth it other than being a lifetime of no replacement? Also i live in AZ so is there any trouble with k&n in dusty environments?
I wouldn't recommend a K&N filter for dusty conditions.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

K&N themselves recommended a more regular cleaning if the car is used in a dusty area.
tanstaafl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 01:21   #3782
BHPian
 
VLOCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 558
Thanked: 603 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I have a query to all the experts here. I was changing my air filter for my genesis and i was stumped between going for a regular OEM vs K&N(just a replacement and not a Cold air intake). Could someone suggest the pros and cons as i did notice regular air filter was $20 bucks and K&N was $55. Is it worth it other than being a lifetime of no replacement? Also i live in AZ so is there any trouble with k&n in dusty environments?

AC issue in my car:

2) Once i enter my car i lower all windows, turn on the ac full blast, turn off the recirculating mode, and rev the engine to a 3000rpm for about 15 secs. This actually sounds weird but really gets the ac working to start blowing cool air in under 2 mins. (It used to take about 10 mins before i knew this)

Also Hyundai has this huge list of stuff to do for the 30k service. With a big list comes a bigger bill. They are charging 400 bucks for the same. Lots of inspection in this. Is it worth so much?Maddy
Personally, I just don't buy the science behind K&N filters.

If it provides increased air flow, to me it means only one thing, bigger openings on the filters. The oil may compensate to some extent in preventing more dust from entering the engine but, I don't see how it can prevent all the increased dust from entering the engine. Sorry, I'll live with that 1 less hp.

Besides, I've heard stories about the oil fouling up the throttle body.

Using a high quality paper air filter is not something I'm willing to compromise on.

This is purely my opinion.

I hope you're not revving your engine up to 3000 rpm and the a/c in full blast, before it reaches its operating temperature. It'll dramatically increase the wear and tear on the engine. Typically in summer, it should take less than 5 minutes to reach operating temperature at stand still or less than that if moving slowly. Perhaps, you should get a remote start and start the engine a few minutes before you get into the car.

$400 is normal for the Inspection/Maintenance 1 or 2 for most cars at the dealership. There are other garages that will do the same for lower amounts but, when the car is under warranty, I prefer the dealer to do it. Prevents any issue in warranty coverage, in the event, something goes wrong.

Last edited by VLOCT : 12th June 2014 at 01:37.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 01:43   #3783
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post

I am also debating picking up a 2000-2001 Wrangler. But am not sure about the reliability.
You may not be able to park this at your front lot either

Btw, the link attached is a friend's car- Not far from louisville. He is looking for a fast sale, so maybe the price might be negotiable.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4493351766.html

Why can't your wife use the truck? and you use the mazda??

Another idea is carpooling, there should be quite a few commuters between Lexington and Louisville. Post in some internet forum and you might find a carpool too.

http://www.carpoolworld.com/carpool_...country=USA,US

Last edited by Jomz : 12th June 2014 at 01:54.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 03:58   #3784
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
You may not be able to park this at your front lot either
Geomy,rofl. I figured the walk would be worth it for the wrangler
Quote:
Btw, the link attached is a friend's car- Not far from louisville. He is looking for a fast sale, so maybe the price might be negotiable.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4493351766.html
See, now you are entering the 15K+ league. I have resisted the urge to go beyond 10K+.

Quote:
Why can't your wife use the truck? and you use the mazda??
Here is the thing, despite all my bravado, she still hasnt bought into the machismo that a Truck exudes. She still feels its a "moota vandhi" aka garbage transporter. She made it very clear that she wouldnt make the truck her DD. Plus also, i wouldnt want her stranded in case if some thing goes wrong. Her Suggestion was to sell the truck and get her a Fiesta ST


Quote:
,
Another idea is carpooling,
Thanks again Geomy, the way my current Projects are shaping up, carpooling will not be an option. I may have to stay some more at office and I really need the flexibility.

Realistically speaking - I neednt look beyond a Fusion V6 and a Mustang GT right?

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th June 2014 at 20:04. Reason: fixed quotes, thanks
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 08:30   #3785
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I might pick up an older Focus. Just because of the 40+ mpg.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 13:04   #3786
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,548
Thanked: 4,529 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I might pick up an older Focus. Just because of the 40+ mpg.

Cant go wrong with a Focus. Nice cars, drives really well, keeps it value reasonably well. We had one for three years for my wife. Never gave us any problems
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 15:34   #3787
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I might pick up an older Focus. Just because of the 40+ mpg.
It wont be too old if you are looking for 40+ mpg. That would be from a hybrid focus, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Cant go wrong with a Focus. Nice cars, drives really well, keeps it value reasonably well. We had one for three years for my wife. Never gave us any problems
Jeroen
We had one for about an year. I did have some hard time selling it off though. Finally CarMax to the rescue!!

EDIT: Just remembered. I saw something weird on the roads yesterday. A Convertible Nissan Murano!! That is, a convertible crossover!! I could not believe that such a thing existed but it does! And that too straight from the manufacturer! It looked really strange

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-01.jpg

Source: http://www.nissanusa.com/crossovers/...otos#_exterior

Last edited by amitoj : 12th June 2014 at 15:38.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 15:58   #3788
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,548
Thanked: 4,529 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
We had one for about an year. I did have some hard time selling it off though. Finally CarMax to the rescue!!


url]

We bought our Focus at Carmax for $10.000 and sold it back to them three years later for about $6-7000. Can't remember the exact number. But basically about $1200 1300 depriciation per year. You cant do much better.
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 16:51   #3789
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,448
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Here is the thing, despite all my bravado, she still hasnt bought into the machismo that a Truck exudes. She still feels its a "moota vandhi" aka garbage transporter. She made it very clear that she wouldnt make the truck her DD. Plus also, i wouldnt want her stranded in case if some thing goes wrong. Her Suggestion was to sell the truck and get her a Fiesta ST
Hey, she is urging you to get a Fiesta ST! Go get it - try leasing it maybe? Let her drive it and you drive the Mazda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I might pick up an older Focus. Just because of the 40+ mpg.
If you have to get an old model Ford and it has to be fuel efficient, you cannot look beyond the Focus and Fiesta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
It wont be too old if you are looking for 40+ mpg. That would be from a hybrid focus, right?


EDIT: Just remembered. I saw something weird on the roads yesterday. A Convertible Nissan Murano!! That is, a convertible crossover!! I could not believe that such a thing existed but it does! And that too straight from the manufacturer! It looked really strange
Is there a Focus hybrid at all? There is a Fusion hybrid.

And the Murano Cross Cab - I think they have decided to stop selling it?
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 17:45   #3790
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
It wont be too old if you are looking for 40+ mpg. That would be from a hybrid focus, right?
I was thinking of a base 2012. I think it is rated for 38 mpg highway. Those can be got in the ~10k ranges.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 18:32   #3791
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Hey, she is urging you to get a Fiesta ST! Go get it - try leasing it maybe? Let her drive it and you drive the Mazda.
Heh..Leasing was my first option, but the min lease period that they have in Ford is 24 months and for the Fiesta ST (With A Plan) , my cost was coming to 254/Month for the 24 month period.

I still dont have a clarity on what to do.
For reasons i dont know, Focus has terrible resale value here in Louisville, hence my concern about the Reliability of Focus.
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 19:36   #3792
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Is there a Focus hybrid at all? There is a Fusion hybrid.

And the Murano Cross Cab - I think they have decided to stop selling it?
It seems they did launch them in 2012. Then there is the C Max too. Not sure whether it is based on Focus or Fiesta.

And the cross cab is still showing on the Nissan website as a 2014 model.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 19:39   #3793
BHPian
 
kraft.wagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA <---> Coimbatore
Posts: 928
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Realistically speaking - I neednt look beyond a Fusion V6 and a Mustang GT right?
I would say go for the Mustang V8 or a Subaru WRX

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 12th June 2014 at 19:42.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 19:47   #3794
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Seriously, You don't want to spend ~2 hours/ day in a car with stiff suspension. Once in a while, it might be fine- but doing that regularly for long distances-Maybe your back may not like it.

I've been doing a 100 mile commute for a while. My ideal car for that would be.

1, An American v8/ v6 or Euro Diesel - Need that extra torque to pass cars/ trucks on the hwy

2, 30+ mpg / 40 mpg (Hwy) ideal.

100 miles is approximately $15 a day. Filling up every week gets boring. And you don't get the liberty to wait a week when the gas prices spike, to see whether it comes down. You would need to spend ~$300 on gas / month. For that money- you could get a sharing room in a 2bed apt in Louisville/ Lex town

3, Huge tank (20 gal or so). Just because bored of filling up every week.

4, All highway safety stuff. ( Blind spot det, adaptive cruise control) Putting in ~12 hours of straight work and driving 50 miles after that - there are chances to make errors.

5, 4WD ( Or Snowtires) for that Snowy days in which you gotta get to work.

6, 10k+ maint interval. - Those miles rack up really fast. You don't want to service every 2 months- do you??

7, Stiff but comfortable

....... Throwing another car out there- Ford Crown Vic??

Last edited by Jomz : 12th June 2014 at 19:48.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 20:04   #3795
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,448
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Seriously, You don't want to spend ~2 hours/ day in a car with stiff suspension. Once in a while, it might be fine- but doing that regularly for long distances-Maybe your back may not like it.

I've been doing a 100 mile commute for a while. My ideal car for that would be.

1, An American v8/ v6 or Euro Diesel - Need that extra torque to pass cars/ trucks on the hwy
Get a 2006 model Jetta Tdi or so - easily does 40+ mpg and has a 15 gallon tank? You can do one week of driving on one tankful. I agree with the diesel piece.

American v8 or v6 - some of them may have big tanks, so you can go like 500 miles on a tankful, but the big tank may mean a 20 or 25 gallon fill up every week.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in Europe Saarth The International Automotive Scene 25 9th November 2015 17:43
Car of the Year 2012 -North America volkman10 The International Automotive Scene 0 10th January 2012 17:31
President and COO of Toyota North America joins Chrysler highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 11 9th September 2007 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks