Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 23:31   #4231
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Anyway, on a different topic now. .........

So, will I have buyer's remorse if i do the switch? Or will I forget all about the Charger once i get into that go kart of a rocket? Damned if I do, damned if I dont.

Do you want to follow what you like, Or what people say about you?

Which one do you Enjoy better??

Or... just get both :-)

Last edited by Jomz : 6th November 2014 at 23:33.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 23:58   #4232
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Between rock and .. Charger R/T is such a bad ass car. You should keep her. How much is your hp after all the tuning now (close to 400?)
It is close to 400 but i will never know until i dyno it. And there aren't too many shops around that dyno all wheel drives.

I did do a 0-60 in 5.4 seconds though. However I can get that time down by a second or so if I launch right. And that would be a second faster than what MS3 is supposed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Do you want to follow what you like, Or what people say about you?

Which one do you Enjoy better??

Or... just get both :-)
I wish I could get both .
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 07:38   #4233
BHPian
 
kraft.wagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA <---> Coimbatore
Posts: 928
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Look at it this way. Why wont it fit? It has the ability to take you to the said shop, it has enough room to store whatever you buy from that shop, and it has the ability to bring you back home from the shop!

Anyway, on a different topic now. I am in a dilemma (once again) I really liked Mazdaspeed3 when I test drove and I find myself thinking about it a lot. I had the car for a weekend and enjoyed it a lot, although I did have this nagging feeling in my head questioning whether I am doing the right thing. Also, people around me keep telling me that the Charger suits my "personality" and I should not let it go. And that Mazdaspeed3 will look like my 5 year old daughter's car after the Charger

So, will I have buyer's remorse if i do the switch? Or will I forget all about the Charger once i get into that go kart of a rocket? Damned if I do, damned if I dont.
Very true amitoj, I was just saying it has huge space to haul things more than needed for a typical 3-4member family.

I have met you long ago, and I definitely think Charger suits you more. Mazdaspeed 3 is fun to drive for sure, but is it comfortable for your height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Track days eh . Are you getting any track time these days?
indeed I'm a huge fan of Tundra and the F150 and without doubt either of it will be my next.
Not much track days lately due to work and travel.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 7th November 2014 at 07:46.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 19:28   #4234
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I have met you long ago, and I definitely think Charger suits you more. Mazdaspeed 3 is fun to drive for sure, but is it comfortable for your height?
A few years down the line i would love to get back into a Challenger for sure. Maybe not a Hellcat though, but surely an SRT.
But for now, I want to have fun in an MS3 before my hair turns white. Although I am sure driving one will speed up the process! Specially managing the torque steer in the winters
As for size, I do fit into it quite comfortably. And my two little daughters also enjoyed the ride in it when I had the car for a weekend.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 19:52   #4235
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
: I want to have fun in an MS3 before my hair turns white. .
Objectively speaking - how much of driving dynamics difference are we talking about? Could you list the pros and cons of each?
ToroRosso is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 20:36   #4236
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Objectively speaking - how much of driving dynamics difference are we talking about? Could you list the pros and cons of each?
Well, the two are as different as chalk and cheese. They are just.... so very different!

MS3 handles like a go kart. The downside of that is the stiff ride.
While the Charger's ride is neither stiff nor floaty, it is a big car and handles like a big car too.

One big difference between the two is the torque steer that MS3 generates in first and second gear. That makes it a much harder car to control than the Charger.

In the Charger, when you are cruising at 70-75 mph, it lets you forget that you are driving a 5.7L Hemi. The MS3 never lets you have that kind of feeling.
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 03:03   #4237
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 203
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Well, the two are as different as chalk and cheese. They are just.... so very different!

MS3 handles like a go kart. The downside of that is the stiff ride.
While the Charger's ride is neither stiff nor floaty, it is a big car and handles like a big car too.

One big difference between the two is the torque steer that MS3 generates in first and second gear. That makes it a much harder car to control than the Charger.

In the Charger, when you are cruising at 70-75 mph, it lets you forget that you are driving a 5.7L Hemi. The MS3 never lets you have that kind of feeling.
The other problem that I had with MS3 was the feel of the gearbox which was imprecise with a very peculiar clutch uptake in stock form.
Damn but I miss my MS3.
dr.abhijeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 03:45   #4238
BHPian
 
Superleggera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kannur/Boston
Posts: 284
Thanked: 66 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Hi Guys, I am planning to buy a used 2008 BMW X5 (3.0 si- V6) from a private party with around 60K miles on it. There is no warranty on the vehicle .How is the reliability and maintenance cost.?

Based on the reviews that I read, 2008 and 2009 models have the worst reliability ratings.Is this true?


Hello friends, updates from my side. I dropped the idea of buying an X5 due to higher than average maint cost. I ended up buying a 2011 Acura MDX, Certified with life time powertrain warranty.

Although I am happy with car, I feel that Honda could have put together the interior of car in a better way. There are panel gaps inside the car (between door and car) and the second row is not movable.
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 19:25   #4239
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I did do a 0-60 in 5.4 seconds though. However I can get that time down by a second or so if I launch right.
Hah. What was i thinking when i wrote that down?? I meant to say "by a tenth of a second"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
The other problem that I had with MS3 was the feel of the gearbox which was imprecise with a very peculiar clutch uptake in stock form.
Damn but I miss my MS3.
Could you please elaborate on the clutch uptake? I didn't understand that.
Also, how was your ownership experience of MS3? Was it pre-2010 model? Details please!!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 20:22   #4240
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 203
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Well, the two are as different as chalk and cheese. They are just.... so very different!

MS3 handles like a go kart. The downside of that is the stiff ride.
While the Charger's ride is neither stiff nor floaty, it is a big car and handles like a big car too.

One big difference between the two is the torque steer that MS3 generates in first and second gear. That makes it a much harder car to control than the Charger.

In the Charger, when you are cruising at 70-75 mph, it lets you forget that you are driving a 5.7L Hemi. The MS3 never lets you have that kind of feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hah. What was i thinking when i wrote that down?? I meant to say "by a tenth of a second"



Could you please elaborate on the clutch uptake? I didn't understand that.
Also, how was your ownership experience of MS3? Was it pre-2010 model? Details please!!
So, In stock form, especially in 1st gear, you wont be able drop the clutch quickly for a quick launch, the car tends to stall if you are not careful. This is not a problem but a quirk. I test drove 5-6 new cars and all of them had the quirk. I pretty well mentioned in the forums and TD of various mags. Mine was a 2011 MS3 with tech package which I sold in 2012 after 1 year of ownership.
That being said, this is the car that I miss the most. I sold it because my wife thought that it was a teenagers car and quite uncomfortable. Also, mild rattles had creeped up at the end of 1 year. I did not need to drive in snow as I have the Subaru, so, No experience in that area.
The navigation screen is stupid small and voice recog was a joke. It never gave me >20mpg mostly because the way I drove it. It was surprisingly well equipped though.
It made a lovely noise. The backseat was usable but word of advice, dont use it. It dampens the performance. YES, It made my commute after a tough hours of residency, a whole lot fun.
So, I exchanged it for the stupid Mercedes which made my wife happy and me sad.
I need to buy a fun car
IMHO, It is a car which is not comfortable even while idling, you will love it but non car people(i.e. family/friends) wont understand it and will suggest that you should have bought civic/ corolla/accord/camry. Everyone asked my why I bought an expensive Mazda which is small, No one asked why I bought the stupid Mercedes.

Last edited by dr.abhijeet : 12th November 2014 at 20:27.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 21:33   #4241
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
So, In stock form, especially in 1st gear, you wont be able drop the clutch quickly for a quick launch, the car tends to stall if you are not careful. This is not a problem but a quirk. I test drove 5-6 new cars and all of them had the quirk. I pretty well mentioned in the forums and TD of various mags. Mine was a 2011 MS3 with tech package which I sold in 2012 after 1 year of ownership.
Yes, I felt that this is something I would need to master in order to get off the mark quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
That being said, this is the car that I miss the most. I sold it because my wife thought that it was a teenagers car and quite uncomfortable. Also, mild rattles had creeped up at the end of 1 year. I did not need to drive in snow as I have the Subaru, so, No experience in that area.
Believe me, I have dreams in which I am driving this car! I am not kidding.
I did notice rattles in most of the cars i test drove. I guess that is unavoidable in any car that has such stiff suspension with low profile tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
The navigation screen is stupid small and voice recog was a joke. It never gave me >20mpg mostly because the way I drove it. It was surprisingly well equipped though.
It made a lovely noise. The backseat was usable but word of advice, dont use it. It dampens the performance. YES, It made my commute after a tough hours of residency, a whole lot fun.
So, I exchanged it for the stupid Mercedes which made my wife happy and me sad.
I need to buy a fun car
IMHO, It is a car which is not comfortable even while idling, you will love it but non car people(i.e. family/friends) wont understand it and will suggest that you should have bought civic/ corolla/accord/camry. Everyone asked my why I bought an expensive Mazda which is small, No one asked why I bought the stupid Mercedes.
I know what you mean.
However, with Charger, no one has questioned it to my face so far It has the "dont mess with me" look and I just love the way people move out of the left lane.

I am now wondering if I can make the Charger more fun. I have reached out to a few people to get some ideas. Sway bars come to mind but no one has done it on an AWD yet. Someone asked me to reach out to Rob Anderson of Wretched Motorsports, who is/was partnered with Peddars. His story made for an interesting read:
https://www.wretched.co/info/about-us
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 03:50   #4242
BHPian
 
Superleggera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kannur/Boston
Posts: 284
Thanked: 66 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
No particular reason, like I said before, I had always liked the MDX plus it was a luxury brand compared to others.

Though i must say that I haven't heard good reviews about the Chrysler V6 engines compared to Honda's(a friend has 2014 Chrysler Minivan & a 2013 RDX). Also there are too many Police Ford Edges where I live
TC, do you fill premium gas in your MDX?
I checked with the dealer and he said it is not required, but I see from some blogs that it is required
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 04:35   #4243
Team-BHP Support
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 14,801
Thanked: 2,312 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
TC, do you fill premium gas in your MDX?
I checked with the dealer and he said it is not required, but I see from some blogs that it is required
Yes, I fill premium. Manual recommends 91 or above but so far I have seen gas stations near me sell only 83/87/93 so i fill 93.

Frankly regular should be fine you probably wont get the 300 horses & full mpg. MY running is very low so Premium vs regular doesnt make too big a difference.

Btw Congrats on getting the 2011 MDX, now we have two of them on the forum

Which variant & color did you pick? Post some pics
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 07:11   #4244
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,548
Thanked: 4,524 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes, I fill premium. Manual recommends 91 or above but so far I have seen gas stations near me sell only 83/87/93 so i fill 93.


Thats fine. its no problem using a fuel with a higher octane number then specified. You wont see any real benefits though. filling with a lower number then specified could lead to trouble. Even though modern engines have anti knock sensors that are most likely to accomodate the difference but at the expense of performance.
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 00:45   #4245
BHPian
 
VLOCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 558
Thanked: 603 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I would never fill a car with a gasoline grade 'lower' than manufacturer recommended. Anything above really offers very little advantage unless, you live in a really hot area where it can reduce any potential for 'engine pinging/knocks'.

At a range of 10-20 cents difference that's a savings of $1 -$2 every 10 gallons, I have never understood why this is even a conversation in the US?
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in Europe Saarth The International Automotive Scene 25 9th November 2015 17:43
Car of the Year 2012 -North America volkman10 The International Automotive Scene 0 10th January 2012 17:31
President and COO of Toyota North America joins Chrysler highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 11 9th September 2007 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks