Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 10:17   #4441
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai - Pune
Posts: 129
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
When I moved, I thought about this and then just took the car rental in weekends. Mainly because, I lived fairly close to the office and on weekdays I hardly needed a car - public transport was enough to get to office and back - and there were plenty of friends to hitch a ride from, for getting groceries etc. The too, I didn't get the car on all the weekends, only the ones when I actually needed one. This might change in your case depending on how many friends you have in the area.

Secondly - if you may take several months to buy the car you want: you might consider getting a used Corolla/Civic for around 3k and then selling it for almost the same price once you are done with it. Not sure which state/area you are moving to, but at least here in the bay area there are a lot of used Civics/Corollas/Altimas, get something around year 2000 with 100k miles for 3k to 4k, use it for a couple of months and then sell it, get the car you wanted. The purchase is usually not time consuming at all, just hand over money, get pink slip and go home. (you will need an address and SSN to register it at DMV and get insurance though - so do it after the first 2 weeks).

In my case, I will be with my wife and infant son. I want to have a car all the time as hitching ride with colleagues may not pan out. Also I personally don't really want to do that. I am pretty sure office won't be near and also public transport will be NIL.
I will be buying a used car only as my primary car. Last time I got a 1999 Honda Accord EX for around $4400 and it was 130K miles on it. I sold it for $3300 after 1 Year 4 months (back in 2012) with little more than 140K miles.
I will not take several months to buy a car as I want to buy used and budget will be limited (say less than $ 5K). That is the reason I said, I will ask car buying queries later in the thread once I am sorted with what rentals to go for initially.

Last edited by raksrules : 12th February 2015 at 10:20.
raksrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 19:09   #4442
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Not sure if it is appropriate to ask about Car Rentals here.
I now use only relayrides (www.relayrides.com) You get all the fun cars at a much cheaper cost.

Or normal cars way cheaper.
Jomz is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 19:47   #4443
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I now use only relayrides (www.relayrides.com) You get all the fun cars at a much cheaper cost.

Or normal cars way cheaper.
This is nice!
What about insurance though?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 19:57   #4444
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
This is nice!
What about insurance though?
You have the offer or taking an insurance from relayrides itself ( for peace of mind) and they would cover the damages to the rental car.

I usually don't take insurance with relay rides because my normal insurance would cover the car - this is like taking a friends car out. But not all insurances would cover peer to peer car sharing.

few link on the costs and what is covered

https://support.relayrides.com/hc/en...ion-provisions

https://support.relayrides.com/hc/en...packages-cost-

Last edited by Jomz : 12th February 2015 at 20:04.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 20:11   #4445
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
You have the offer or taking an insurance from relayrides itself ( for peace of mind) and they would cover the damages to the rental car.
Sweet! I did not know about this.

Just for comparison sake, I see a 911 listed for $195 a day
https://relayrides.com/car-rental/au...sche-911/30835

Are you also getting similar rates over there?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 20:46   #4446
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Atleast the Acura had buttons to shift gear opposed to this rotary dial madness in Chrysler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Soon I expect Honda to get inspired by Acura and this whole thing would become super mainstream.
Wow dude. Can you predict whether I am going to get a raise this year?

This is the 2016 Honda Pilot's gear selector:
Name:  pilot gear selector.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  32.0 KB
Source: Jalopnik who credit it to edmunds as well as carscoops
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 20:50   #4447
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,447
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Wow dude. Can you predict whether I am going to get a raise this year?

This is the 2016 Honda Pilot's gear selector:
Attachment 1339217
Source: Jalopnik who credit it to edmunds as well as carscoops
Haha! I wish I could predict a raise for myself! Was bound to happen - all this experiments coming down the Acura food chain to the Honda ones.

On the Pilot - it has lost its boxy quirkiness - looks like a CRV ++ and the side profile looks a lot like the Nissan Pathfinder or the Chevy Traverse (or, surprise, the Acura MDX!). I hope there is some powertrain innovation that will make this car standout.
vineethvazhayil is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 20:54   #4448
BHPian
 
Jomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit, MI,USA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Sweet! I did not know about this.

Just for comparison sake, I see a 911 listed for $195 a day
https://relayrides.com/car-rental/au...sche-911/30835

Are you also getting similar rates over there?
Indianapolis has only a Corvette listed. I usually use this when I'm in big cities like Los Angels, Houston, Chicago etc.

The Corvette is for $200.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 23:28   #4449
BHPian
 
kraft.wagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA <---> Coimbatore
Posts: 928
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
In my case, I will be with my wife and infant son. I want to have a car all the time as hitching ride with colleagues may not pan out. Also I personally don't really want to do that. I am pretty sure office won't be near and also public transport will be NIL.
I will be buying a used car only as my primary car. Last time I got a 1999 Honda Accord EX for around $4400 and it was 130K miles on it. I sold it for $3300 after 1 Year 4 months (back in 2012) with little more than 140K miles.
I will not take several months to buy a car as I want to buy used and budget will be limited (say less than $ 5K). That is the reason I said, I will ask car buying queries later in the thread once I am sorted with what rentals to go for initially.
Depending on where you are coming in the US, public transport could not be a option.
Rentals will surely cost your close to $1000 plus for a month including insurance. The other option would be to use your corporate rental policy, that way the insurance will be included in the cost of rental.

Meanwhile you can start looking for cars in the area you are coming. You never know when a good deal comesby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Indianapolis has only a Corvette listed. I usually use this when I'm in big cities like Los Angels, Houston, Chicago etc.

The Corvette is for $200.
Thanks looks like I will get to try some machines soon
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 03:08   #4450
Team-BHP Support
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 14,801
Thanked: 2,312 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
On the Pilot - it has lost its boxy quirkiness - looks like a CRV ++ and the side profile looks a lot like the Nissan Pathfinder or the Chevy Traverse (or, surprise, the Acura MDX!). I hope there is some powertrain innovation that will make this car standout.
Seems to be proper refresh for the almost decade old Boxy design & yes looks like lot of design cues from previous gen MDX (the one I have) have been taken. Frankly earlier Pilot had only practical aspect to it but now it looks good too.

I do agree though that it looks more like the other large SUVs on road than before when it was a little unique.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 23:07   #4451
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,447
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Off to the Chicago auto show in 2 hours. Anyone there today? Any special photo requests? PM me if you have any.

I'm looking forward to the new Ford GT and a couple of the CUV debuts. Also, many cars that have carried over from Detroit, a good chance to see them up close.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 14th February 2015 at 23:12.
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 21:43   #4452
BHPian
 
DieselAddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 406
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Guys, I need help.

I have been driving a 2010 Altima 2.5 for the past 3 yrs. Did 30K miles on it and would like to change to something better. I will be the only person using the car and will mostly be the only one in the car 90% of the time. I was looking at a few 2014 C Classes and then I stumbled upon this beauty called GLA. Took a test drive and later realized that the rear seats are not comfortable at all.

The C feels like a proper Mercedes sedan while the GLA is an impractical wanna be SUV. The only thing going for it is the fresh design and the brand name. But the fact that I will be the only one in the car most of the time, makes me wonder if I should go for it. Please help me decide.

By the way, I was looking at 2014 C300 4MATICs and new GLA250 4MATICs

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 16th February 2015 at 21:45.
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 22:37   #4453
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,447
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Guys, I need help.

I have been driving a 2010 Altima 2.5 for the past 3 yrs. Did 30K miles on it and would like to change to something better. I will be the only person using the car and will mostly be the only one in the car 90% of the time. I was looking at a few 2014 C Classes and then I stumbled upon this beauty called GLA. Took a test drive and later realized that the rear seats are not comfortable at all.

The C feels like a proper Mercedes sedan while the GLA is an impractical wanna be SUV. The only thing going for it is the fresh design and the brand name. But the fact that I will be the only one in the car most of the time, makes me wonder if I should go for it. Please help me decide.

By the way, I was looking at 2014 C300 4MATICs and new GLA250 4MATICs
Are you talking about the CLA or the GLA? The GLA is the wannabe SUV whereas the CLA is a sedan on the same platform.

Are you sold on the Mercedes idea or are you open to shopping elsewhere? In the German trio, the A3 is the most luxurious in that segment, and the 2 series is the most fun (the only RWD based car in the sub compact luxury segment). If you are considering Japs, the new ILX with the 2.4 DI and dual clutch autobox would also be a ton of fun. Only the ILX has a rear seat of good dimensions amongst the three. I'm not sure what your requirements are, there are choices plenty. Even if you are the only one driving, the C class is head and shoulders above the CLA which doesn't even feel like a real Mercedes, so you should look at it from that angle too.
vineethvazhayil is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 22:52   #4454
BHPian
 
DieselAddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 406
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Yes, I am talking about the wanna be SUV, the GLA.

I somehow do not like BMWs. The ride is really harsh for long trips. WRX is the only thing more stiffer. :P I usually drive all alone for days together. So I prefer more comfort than razor sharp handling.

I can drive anything that is AWD. (AWD because of the bad weather these days) No particular requirements. Just need a change from the usual ride. And I thought I should try a German this time. I can definitely take a look at the A3, which is a good suggestion. I am not interested in the CLA because of the same reason you mentioned above. I know it applies to the GLA as well, but I found it beautiful. But I can get over this "infatuation" in a few days.

One more question: Which of these would be easier to live with after, say, 3 years ? Audi or Merc ? Which one is more prone to niggles ?

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 16th February 2015 at 22:55.
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 23:26   #4455
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,447
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
One more question: Which of these would be easier to live with after, say, 3 years ? Audi or Merc ? Which one is more prone to niggles ?
That will be a tough question to answer given both of those cars are fairly new. I would like to think Audi, just because MQB is being used everywhere in the VW family and has sort of settled down. But I may be completely wrong - Mercedes may have invested a ton of research and cash on the CLA/ GLA platform. Your best bet could be reading what JD Power/ Consumer Reports have to say about the initial quality and 5 year cost of ownership etc. I have driven both the CLA and A3 - my personal preference is the A3, the CLA is too cramped for me, even in the front seats. Maybe the GLA with the added height and taller roofline is better. You can also look at Volvo S60 - tidy little cars they are. But yeah you need to agree to the semi quirkish looks and infotainment system etc.

If the easier to live with (upkeep $$ ) part is very important, I must state again - you are probably better off with the Acura ILX 2016. However, that is based purely on the assumption that the excellent base powerplant of the TLX is going to be available on a car that is 10% lighter - making it potentially a total fun car.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 16th February 2015 at 23:27.
vineethvazhayil is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in Europe Saarth The International Automotive Scene 25 9th November 2015 17:43
Car of the Year 2012 -North America volkman10 The International Automotive Scene 0 10th January 2012 17:31
President and COO of Toyota North America joins Chrysler highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 11 9th September 2007 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks