Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 5th March 2015, 23:02   #4501
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
T
I was down with severe flu for the past few days. The extreme climate during the weekend did not help either. Just getting better. So I will have to wait for the next weekend for test drives.
Hope you are better now. Did you get to drive cars/ buy? You had the "I need to buy a car" bug biting you right?
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 00:58   #4502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Hope you are better now. Did you get to drive cars/ buy? You had the "I need to buy a car" bug biting you right?
Yes I am good now. Thank you for asking.

I test drove all including the new C300 and I fell in love with that thing. I confirmed for one in Black and I am waiting for it to arrive. The trim and options I wanted was not readily available with the dealer. They said I will get it this Tuesday. But now they say it will be delayed. Thought I will update you guys once I get it.
DieselAddikt is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 01:05   #4503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I test drove all including the new C300 and I fell in love with that thing. I confirmed for one in Black and I am waiting for it to arrive. The trim and options I wanted was not readily available with the dealer. They said I will get it this Tuesday. But now they say it will be delayed. Thought I will update you guys once I get it.
Wow! Awesome! Congratulations.. the 2015 C300? It is definitely a cut above its competition in terms of the interiors. The engine is not bad too.

Please post pictures when you get the car and details of the options you picked and your total $ damage.
vineethvazhayil is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 01:15   #4504
BHPian

Yeah, it felt special the moment I sat in it. Felt like something more expensive than it actually was. The engine was peppy too. Transmission did it's job well, though the paddle shifters don't exactly change gears the moment you ask it to. but no complains at all; I will never do a drag race with it. The car I drove had 18" wheels and it felt a little stiffer for my liking. The Burmester audio literally blew me away. I thought that was the best OEM I have ever heard. And the best part was that the collision prevention system is actually nice. Unfortunately, I took my eyes of the road while driving the car and this feature saved my day. The car in front of me stopped abruptly and I did not even see. But thanks to this feature, the car just stopped on time. That was the decision making point for me.

Ordered one with Black MB-Tex, Premium Package, MMI, Reverse Camera and Blind Spot Assist, but with 17" wheels.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 6th March 2015 at 01:24.
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 02:58   #4505
BHPian

I'm planning to buy a 7 seater SUV. Off roading is not a reqquirement. I saw and drove the Nissan Pathfinder 2015 Platinum variant and kinda liked it. I haven't checked the Highlander yet. Please suggest some more options or if i should go with the Pathfinder.
AstaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 03:07   #4506
BHPian

Great choice! The c300s interiors blow the competition away.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 03:24   #4507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Great choice! The c300s interiors blow the competition away.
Thanks rajushank84.

Yes, I did not think that there will be such a vast difference between this and the other major players. It was a surprise. Really looking forward to what Audi will come up with in their 2016 A4. Should be interesting to see that.

Just got a call from the dealer and they said the car is ready and can be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
DieselAddikt is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 07:29   #4508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaAddict View Post
I'm planning to buy a 7 seater SUV. Off roading is not a reqquirement. I saw and drove the Nissan Pathfinder 2015 Platinum variant and kinda liked it. I haven't checked the Highlander yet. Please suggest some more options or if i should go with the Pathfinder.
Why not wait for the new Pilot ? Looks like it will be an all new model with loads of features.
DieselAddikt is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 09:37   #4509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, it felt special the moment I sat in it. Felt like something more expensive than it actually was.
Good choice buddy! It truly feels much more expensive than it is. There was some trouble with leather seats - guess MB Tex works out better that way.

Quote:
The new Pilot if you can wait. Though it looks less distinctive than before, I have a feeling that Honda will come up with a car that would have a lot of aces up its sleeve. I personally don't like the CVT on the pathfinder. You can also look at the the Santa Fe 3 row version - quite a good car.
Quote:
Why not wait for the new Pilot ? Looks like it will be an all new model with loads of features.
+1 to that.
vineethvazhayil is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 22:21   #4510
BHPian

Thanks @DieselAddikt. It seems I have to wait for a couple of months for the new Pilot before it hits the Dealerships. Is this true? Also, it will most likely not have any discounts, being a new entry.

Quote:
The new Pilot if you can wait. Though it looks less distinctive than before, I have a feeling that Honda will come up with a car that would have a lot of aces up its sleeve. I personally don't like the CVT on the pathfinder. You can also look at the the Santa Fe 3 row version - quite a good car.

+1 to that.
I too am not a fan of the CVT of the PathFinder. It takes the fun out of a V6. I like the Acura MDX but the price difference is considerable. Mind says to wait for the Pilot but the urge of buying a SUV at the earliest is killing me

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th March 2015 at 00:13.
Old 7th March 2015, 00:21   #4511
BHPian

AstaAddict, what is your budget and what size are your requirements? Strictly suv or open to minivan too, strictly 7 seater or considering smaller ones?
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 00:29   #4512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @DieselAddikt. It seems I have to wait for a couple of months for the new Pilot before it hits the Dealerships. Is this true? Also, it will most likely not have any discounts, being a new entry.

I too am not a fan of the CVT of the PathFinder. It takes the fun out of a V6. I like the Acura MDX but the price difference is considerable. Mind says to wait for the Pilot but the urge of buying a SUV at the earliest is killing me
Yes, the Pilot is to launch late Spring. You are only at early Spring now. SO there is a while to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
AstaAddict, what is your budget and what size are your requirements? Strictly suv or open to minivan too, strictly 7 seater or considering smaller ones?
I was typing up the same thing. If you actually have passengers in the third row often, a minivan is a wiser decision - you will not regret it. Most 3 row CUVs have 3rd rows only suited for children and smaller adults (the Americans call it mother in law seats). We don't use the third row regularly in the highlander. If that was a requirement, I would have gone for a Sienna or Odyssey. I don't think what you are looking for is very clear. Perhaps some additional info will help narrow down suggestions?
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 00:43   #4513
BHPian

Something new which I learned recently.

The Sienna is the only minivan with AWD.

Recently, I was at the GM powertrain HQ in Pontiac , MI. It is freaking huge. They have more than 400 dynamo meters at the HQ.It is 5 miles from the front gate to the back gate.

The surprising part is , that is not the only tech center, their vehicle development happens in Milford, MI- which is around 1000 acres. They have a tar patch- which is 67 acres, which is used for vehicle testing. It seems like a dark lake to birds flying above and birds typically try to land on the "lake"

Pretty impressive facility. I think it is the biggest automotive research center in the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...Proving_Ground
Jomz is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 01:00   #4514
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the Pilot is to launch late Spring. You are only at early Spring now. SO there is a while to go.

I was typing up the same thing. If you actually have passengers in the third row often, a minivan is a wiser decision - you will not regret it. Most 3 row CUVs have 3rd rows only suited for children and smaller adults (the Americans call it mother in law seats). We don't use the third row regularly in the highlander. If that was a requirement, I would have gone for a Sienna or Odyssey. I don't think what you are looking for is very clear. Perhaps some additional info will help narrow down suggestions?
Passengers in the third row will not be frequent but there will be, occasionally. I don't have kids as I'm a newly wed but parents would be visiting once or twice a year. Wifey & parents fall into the smaller adults category so even if they have to fit in the third row, I want to be ready with that. I thought of going for the Murano or the likes but opted for the 7 seater because of its flexibility to carry 2 more passengers whenever needed, which is more likely with so many friends and relatives out here. Minivan? I'm not sure if i would want to drive one. They never attracted me, except for their humongous cargo & human carrying capacity.

Does the above make my requirement clear? If not, I would be more than happy to answer more questions. As always, I really appreciate your interest in helping me.
Old 7th March 2015, 01:20   #4515
BHPian

Nice choice and Congratulations. Did you get any discount on MSRP? Are you leasing or buying?
And, it is awesome that you are getting it in a week; C300 has almost two months waiting period in Toronto.

Quote:

infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote