Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 20th August 2015, 22:17   #4951
BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Congrats on the Z, Raju. It sure looks the bizness. A lot of corner carving in your future, looks like. Cheers.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 00:04   #4952
BHPian

@rajushank84: Way to go on that sporty blue! Sharp looking Beemer there, sorry to see that go!
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 01:31   #4953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Congrats on the Z, Raju. It sure looks the bizness. A lot of corner carving in your future, looks like. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
@rajushank84: Way to go on that sporty blue! Sharp looking Beemer there, sorry to see that go!

Thanks!

Btw this is the blind spot mirror I got, it's a sticky that goes on the rear view mirrors. These work so great I can't believe I lived without these for so many years. I can see more through these than "over the shoulder". And they only cost like 5 bucks for a pair at Autozone or Oreilly Auto Parts. I highly recommend them.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1440100889.620569.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  370.1 KB

Last edited by rajushank84 : 21st August 2015 at 01:43.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 01:50   #4954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Thanks!

Btw this is the blind spot mirror I got, it's a sticky that goes on the rear view mirrors. These work so great I can't believe I lived without these for so many years. I can see more through these than "over the shoulder". And they only cost like 5 bucks for a pair at Autozone or Oreilly Auto Parts. I highly recommend them.
The biggest problem with those - they fall off after some time. Because they are inexpensive, you can always go get another one. For us, the winter usually spells the end for the mirrors. On the subartic temperature days, the mirror falls off and gets buried in the snow. You are never going to recover them after that. California saves you from some of those pains. I love how Ford and GM have integrated a blind spot mirror into their ORVMs.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 04:06   #4955
Team-BHP Support

That's one beautiful looking Z & yes even I observed that they go at a very high values in used car market so you surely got a great deal

Btw do you find the ride to be harsh for everyday use?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 00:57   #4956
BHPian

Guys, need your advice here - I might be driving a friend's car in NY area during my short stint there. My company is already covering me on an insurance.
Is there any other insurance that I have to get to drive in the US?

Thanks in advance!
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 07:07   #4957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys, need your advice here - I might be driving a friend's car in NY area during my short stint there. My company is already covering me on an insurance.

Thanks in advance!
Im not sure if your company insurance would cover that. But it might well be that your friends insurance covers you, but you need to check. Actually, nobody on the internet can provide you with an absolute answer. You need to check the actual policy to see what I says. I have found many variations in coverage compared to how things are in Europe.

Good luck,
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 21:41   #4958
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about your company insurance! Check the policy, it might be covering rental cars. I haven't heard about a individual temp insurance policy that covers insurance for private cars.

Will you have a US drivers license? If yes then,

Plan 1: Have your friend add your as additionally insured on his insurance plan. Not an ideal plan as your friends insurance premium will go up temporarily as you don't have a driving record here.

Plan 2: Keep driving and if there's an accident where you are liable, the insurance company will ask your friend to add you as additionally insured to cover the claim. Obviously his insurance premiums will go up for few years.

Not sure if the above scenarios work for international drivers license. Hope this helps!
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 22:00   #4959
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
What are the insurance coverage details? Companies usually have insurance as part f the corporate rate but that applies to the cars you rent from the providers here.

In some states you can add your name on a friends car with your India DL.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 22:06   #4960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Plan 2: Keep driving and if there's an accident where you are liable, the insurance company will ask your friend to add you as additionally insured to cover the claim. Obviously his insurance premiums will go up for few years.
I'm not sure I quite follow this? I read it as you would only add yourself to your friends insurance after you had the accident? Maybe you meant it differently.

If it is as I read it, it won't work and is illegal. In the USA you need to have at least valid third party insurance. If the accident is your fault, you will have to pay for all damages, claims etc. and you will get a heavy fine for driving around un-insured.

When we lived in the USA we had all our cars insured through Statefarm. We were allowed to have all our visiting friends and relatives use our cars temporarily. I seem to recall that was standard in their policy, so you don't pay extra for it. But I also recall that quite a few insurance companies require you to name the designated drivers specifically, which also means if the driver isn't mentioned, he or she isn't insured. Trust me, you don't want to be not insured in the USA.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 06:38   #4961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
If it is as I read it, it won't work and is illegal. In the USA you need to have at least valid third party insurance. If the accident is your fault, you will have to pay for all damages, claims etc. and you will get a heavy fine for driving around un-insured.
Jeroen
Looks like you didn't get it! Where did I say about the car being un-insured?
Every car needs to be insured in US or any developed country. So considering the fact that the car itself is insured by its owner, ANYONE (friends, relatives) with a valid drivers license can drive the car. Its legal as long as the "CAR" is insured.

Lets say, friend borrows my car, gets into an accident and its his fault.
1) If my friend has a Insurance policy the claim will go through his insurance company.
2) If he doesn't have a policy then my insurance company will request me to add my friend as additionally insured "right at that moment" to cover the claim. Been in that situation, so lets put it to rest!

If I discuss upfront about friend's temp situation, my insurance company would obviously ask me to add him on the policy as additionally insured. No doubt there!

To put it another way, You got to have Driver's License, Registration and Insurance when driving a car in US. Lets say, you get pulled over by a cop. As long as your DL, car registration and insurance are valid, it doesn't matter who's car it is and who's name is on the insurance card as long as its not stolen. If it's illegal as you are saying, the cop needs to match the name on the DL and the insurance card, which is never the case. The max he may ask you is, who does this car belong to?

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 24th August 2015 at 06:41.
Old 24th August 2015, 07:01   #4962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every car needs to be insured in US or any developed country.
There are several (developed) countries where not the car, but the driver is insured. The UK springs to mind.

http://www.which.co.uk/money/insuran...ce-the-basics/

As I said, best check with the insurance company, because insurance and what is covered, especially in the USA is not that straight forward and it can vary widely from state to state.

Even letting friends and relatives use your car might not be that straight forward

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/autoi...icy/ar-BB73Ago

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/insu...e-cover-4.aspx

Jeroen
Old 24th August 2015, 08:14   #4963
BHPian

Quote:
There are several (developed) countries where not the car, but the driver is insured. The UK springs to mind.
http://www.which.co.uk/money/insuran...ce-the-basics/
So you are saying cars in UK as such are not insured but just the drivers! In the link provided, the very first statement is, "Anyone who owns a vehicle and drives regularly - which is 36 million of us in the UK according to the RAC - has to have car insurance to be out on the roads." That sounds similar to US. Anything I missed in that link where it states that drivers can just get a policy without owning a car?

Quote:
Even letting friends and relatives use your car might not be that straight forward[/url]
I thought you said it was illegal.
Old 24th August 2015, 09:34   #4964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you are saying cars in UK as such are not insured but just the drivers! In the link provided, the very first statement is, "Anyone who owns a vehicle and drives regularly - which is 36 million of us in the UK according to the RAC - has to have car insurance to be out on the roads." That sounds similar to US. Anything I missed in that link where it states that drivers can just get a policy without owning a car?
The way it works in the UK is that both the car (obviously) and the designated driver(s) get mentioned in the policy. For instance, the car we own in the UK is insured in my wife's name and my name is added to policy as well. But we cant let anybody else drive it as it would be uninsured.

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and.../Named-drivers

http://www.confused.com/car-insuranc...her-cars-guide

Insurances / legal frameworks are complicated and differ from country to country. I dont take any changes with this sort of stuff. I will check and read the policy and if anything I will ask for written confirmation of my interpretation to make absolutely sure.

Whenever we had friends or family coming to stay with us in the USA, I always send a mail to Statefarm, saying such and so is coming to stay with us for 10 days, his/her age is xx, and has a (fill in nationality) drivers license. Please confirm he/she is fully covered for all our cars under our current policies.

I might be a bit over cautious, but then again I'm Dutch and we have a reputation to uphold when it comes to insurances in general.

http://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com/2014...ance-policies/

Jeroen
Old 24th August 2015, 15:26   #4965
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to secure financing for cars for someone who has just got into the country? I understand its very difficult for a person with no or low credit rating to get loans.
How does it work in the car financing? Do we have options with higher interest rates? What are the typical docs required to get a loan.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 24th August 2015 at 15:28.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote