Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 24th August 2015, 15:54   #4966
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys, need your advice here - I might be driving a friend's car in NY area during my short stint there. My company is already covering me on an insurance.
Is there any other insurance that I have to get to drive in the US?

Thanks in advance!
Normally car insurance in US is issued in the name of the driver for driving a specific car. If he buys a new car or has to let another person drive the car, he has to specifically get that notified to insurance company who may charge a fee. So his current insurance will not help you unless he adds you as a driver in the insurance records. Your employer may be covering you on regular travel insurance which normally does not cover the mandatory third party damages caused while driving. Hence it is better to get you covered with your friend's insurance and you carry a copy of the same while driving.

In any case,if you are going to be in NY metro area, then driving is "highly not recommended" with multitudes of congestion charges, tolls and insane parking fees on top of crazy traffic dominated by haphazardly driven cabbies and local buses.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 18:36   #4967
BHPian

Default Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Is it possible to secure financing for cars for someone who has just got into the country? I understand its very difficult for a person with no or low credit rating to get loans.
How does it work in the car financing? Do we have options with higher interest rates? What are the typical docs required to get a loan.
Always do your homework and secure a car loan (pre-approved) if you can, before stepping into a car dealership.

Try local Credit Unions first! I recommend Digital Federal Credit Union (DCU) out of MA. They are good with first time buyers, got to have a direct deposit of you pay to get good APR. They have a nick name, Desi Credit Union

PM me for more details, sometimes they would need sponsor from a current member.

If you go through dealership loan, be prepared for higher APR's as you won't have a credit history. Paystubs, SSN card, Drivers License and maybe proof of address ( utility bill) will do!

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 24th August 2015 at 18:43.
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 20:12   #4968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Is it possible to secure financing for cars for someone who has just got into the country? I understand its very difficult for a person with no or low credit rating to get loans.
How does it work in the car financing? Do we have options with higher interest rates? What are the typical docs required to get a loan.
Its not difficult to get a loan, but you will end up paying higher interest rates. Moreover many loan institutions are providing loan only for the period of your visa.

I'd suggest if you go back few pages in this thread there are abundant information on buying car for someone new in the country.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 22:12   #4969
BHPian

Hello folks! Came here to this wonderful country a couple of days back for my further studies. Currently in San Diego. I noticed this in many cars, that instead of orange turn signals, the brake light doubles up as a a turn signal. Is there any reason for this, or is it just to keep the design clean?

Took sometime to come to terms with the completely opposite driving direction. Its funny how even after years and years of driving in India I am taking quite some time to build up confidence for driving here. I have got my IDP. Hopefully will drive today (if I feel confident).

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 22:49   #4970
BHPian

Default Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
2) If he doesn't have a policy then my insurance company will request me to add my friend as additionally insured "right at that moment" to cover the claim. Been in that situation, so lets put it to rest!

Not all insurance companies ask you to add temporarily. State Farm doesn't ask you to add if the person is not regular driver. I know this since my friend was involved in an accident while driving my car and all I had to tell my insurance company was that the car was driven by friend who doesn't own car or doesn't have insurance (Have valid US DL). State Farm didn't ask a single question. And it was my friend's fault as he rear ended a car in front of him. The claim was processed quickly without any issues.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th August 2015 at 23:19. Reason: Fixed quotes, thanks
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 01:52   #4971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Not all insurance companies ask you to add temporarily. State Farm doesn't ask you to add if the person is not regular driver. I know this since my friend was involved in an accident while driving my car and all I had to tell my insurance company was that the car was driven by friend who doesn't own car or doesn't have insurance (Have valid US DL). State Farm didn't ask a single question. And it was my friend's fault as he rear ended a car in front of him. The claim was processed quickly without any issues.
Good to know that! Mine happened almost 15 yrs back. This eases things up when sharing car with friends and family. I'm with State Farm too for last 6 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Came here -Bhargav
Welcome Bhargav and Good luck!

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 25th August 2015 at 02:01.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 08:57   #4972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
We had all our cars insured through StateFarm. We found them reasonably priced with comprehensive coverage, inclusive of friends and family being allowed to drive our cars, with international DLs.

Also, I could actually read and understand their policy. With some insurance companies reading their policy requires a Master in law.

My wife had a few accidents and everything was sorted swiftly with a minimum of fuss.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 10:45   #4973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hello folks! Came here to this wonderful country a couple of days back for my further studies. Currently in San Diego. I noticed this in many cars, that instead of orange turn signals, the brake light doubles up as a a turn signal. Is there any reason for this, or is it just to keep the design clean?

-Bhargav
There is no real reason. That is the way US cars have been for a long time. Cost cutting could be one reason. Good luck and enjoy San Diego!
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 22:02   #4974
BHPian

My family in NJ bought a Tesla Model S 85D in first week of June (posted some pics earlier), took delivery from Paramus service center in NJ. Tesla High Power Wall connector (HPWC 240V, 80 Amp) with an 100 Amp circuit was installed in the garage by a certified electrician. Everything was amazing for first 5 weeks except few hiccups like Auto cruise control deactivating itself but resolved by Tesla over the phone (Powering off the car, rebooting and software updates).
Since last month, there has been charging issues. The charging stops intermittently with HPWC with no particular timing pattern. Reached out to Tesla service center; they decided to get back to me after remotely downloading my driving logs from the car. Our Electrician did a quick stop to check the circuit, got a steady reading of 82 Amp at the circuit breaker. We had a trip planned to Northern PA few weeks back, decided to charge the car all the way up, needless to say the pain it took to charge it overnight, getting up every few minutes, hours to unplug and plug it back again. We planned a overnight stay in PA but were in need to charge the battery for return trip. Found few public charging stations on Plug share App; again charging gets interrupted every 20-30 minutes or less. Drove to another 30 Amp charging outlet but same issue. The travel to these charging stations depleted the battery more than the charge gained. Finally, plugged it into 110V outlet at my cousins garage with supplied Tesla cable but same issue. I forced/convinced my cousin to get it and he's kind of pissed off now. So I'm handling this issue with Tesla and so far its not going good.

Here's the experience with Tesla SC's:
Been to two SC (Service centers) in NJ who doesn't approve/consider charging issues with public charging stations or 110V outlet. They say the car's fine and charging well at their facility. I don't think Tesla's are super sensitive as portrayed! Other users on Tesla forum have stated Model S being smart enough to dial down the current to a point where supply gets stable (even if you have crappy fluctuating power).

After last SC visit, I've a Tesla approved electrician pointing out fault with our 100 Amp circuit/80 Amp draw to HPWC (High Power wall connector) from a 150 Amp feed to the house. He wants to redo the wiring and draw not more than 60 Amp from the main panel in the house. I'm no electrical engineer but even if I switch on all the major appliances in the house (AC+oven+washer/dryer+Tesla charger) which is never the case, the count doesn't come to 150 Amp total to consider load balance issue. Now just for the sake of argument, if there's a load balancing issue, what are circuit breakers for? None tripped till now. But above all, Model S is smart enough to automatically dial down the Amp usage for a stable charging.

Points ignored by SC:
- No issues charging for first 5 weeks of ownership with HPWC
- Electrician re-visit: Circuit inspected, steady readings noted. No issues there.
- Charging issues at multiple locations: 15 Amp public charging station in a public park, 40 Amp Charging station through Plug Share at a commercial building, 110V regular outlet at cousins place in PA and also our my garage.
- Tried charging at 40,50,60,70 Amp by dialing down the Amperage in the car from HPWC

Its annoying and negates all good of having a Tesla!

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 26th August 2015 at 22:20.
Old 26th August 2015, 22:20   #4975
Team-BHP Support

Really sorry to hear this experience and I hope it gets resolved amicably, Have you tried reaching out to either an independent Electrician for evaluation of the Amp needs of the house or escalating this to Tesla HQ?

Also is this a unique problem that you guys are facing or are there others on the Tesla forums reporting similar issues?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 22:36   #4976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Really sorry to hear this experience and I hope it gets resolved amicably, Have you tried reaching out to either an independent Electrician for evaluation of the Amp needs of the house or escalating this to Tesla HQ?

Also is this a unique problem that you guys are facing or are there others on the Tesla forums reporting similar issues?
My electrician is not Tesla approved but a certified local contractor who did HPWC installations before. He revisited, steady draw of 80 Amp with no power fluctuations is what I noticed on his meter.

There are couple of owners who had the same issue in Tesla forums where the car was at fault. At least 3 parts were replaced in the car but the Tesla SC won't consider those cases. They are just following standard protocol and all they have to say is bad wiring or HPWC at our home. I got to escalate this to HQ if the regional doesn't respond.

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 26th August 2015 at 22:38.
Old 27th August 2015, 02:02   #4977
BHPian

Quote:
My electrician is not Tesla approved but a certified local contractor who did HPWC installations before. He revisited, steady draw of 80 Amp with no power fluctuations is what I noticed on his meter.

There are couple of owners who had the same issue in Tesla forums where the car was at fault. At least 3 parts were replaced in the car but the Tesla SC won't consider those cases. They are just following standard protocol and all they have to say is bad wiring or HPWC at our home. I got to escalate this to HQ if the regional doesn't respond.
Interesting Is it because you got the installation done privately Tesla wont test your installation?
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 02:51   #4978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing and i feel its time you escalate this to the HQ. Sorry to hear your experience but this can be frustrating never the less.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 05:34   #4979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Interesting Is it because you got the installation done privately Tesla wont test your installation?
I don't think so. Tesla agreed to send field technicians instead they had their certified electrician contact me who requested for pictures of my wiring installation and remotely concluded wiring being bad.

@maddy42: Hard to digest the fact that one of the most innovative companies have personnel who can't think logically. Will escalate to HQ if not resolved by this weekend.

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 27th August 2015 at 05:42.
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 07:45   #4980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@maddy42: Hard to digest the fact that one of the most innovative companies have personnel who can't think logically. Will escalate to HQ if not resolved by this weekend.
@Viper_Srt,

Did they send atleast a duplicate charging cable to double check that? UMC cable could be an issue.

My advice is can you take it to a local nissan or other charging station and try it there as well. I think you did cover that but thinking if its simply the cable issue.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote